Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-17-2017, 05:52 PM   #1

First-time RV buyer! Questions about the wildcat

Hello all, I'm new to the camping world. I'm a railroad conductor and thought it would be nice to have a trailer for work and recreation, so I did a little research and decided on the wildcat. Today I put a deposit down on a 2013 wildcat 327ck and should pick it up next week, but I read a few forums where people were having a lot of issues out of this model, it's making me feel a little uneasy. Is there anyone else with this model who could add to this, thanks for any help fellas!
Tx_Wildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 01:18 PM   #2

Sorry, I don't have this model Wildcat. I do have a 28RKX Wildcat Maxx that I'm very happy owning. I do a lot of research on any "large dollar" item I buy. My experience, along with many others who will tell you the same thing, is that typically it's the folks having problems that post on forums and review sites. Those folks, at least most folks, that own the product and are happy with the product do not take the time to post their happiness.
Also, RV's do have issues, it's just the nature of the beast. The RV industry can't build units fast enough and the result is less than sterling quality through out the industry. Before you buy the unit, check it out---make sure EVERYTHING works. Check the ceiling/walls and around doors and windows for water stains. Look the tires over for "age cracking" and if the tires are bad, try to negotiate another $500 off the purchase price to account for buying new tires.
The bottom line----do not let the forums or web sites scare you away. Just be sure you know what your buying and it's been well maintained/taken care of.
Good luck!!!!
2015 Ram Laramie Hemi, w/air suspension
30 years RV'ing
11 different RV's
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 07:43 AM   #3

Wildcat 314bhx

Sorry, like RSchleder I also have a wildcat but it is a 314bhx. We love ours but like RSchleder stated, check everything before you sign for it. I was foolish and forgot to check the tires before we drove it off of the lot. Before our first trip with it, I went to check the air pressure in the tires and notice that they were already over 3 years old. They were also just at the limit for the camper weight. We upgraded the tires immediately. I am taking it in next week for them to check the roof on the super slide. The boards underneath the TPO roof are starting to curl up where they meet in the middle. We will how Forest River River's warranty department does with this. As with all campers there are going to be issues, just try to catch any before you drive it home.
saus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 08:06 AM   #4

Just a few important items:
PDI: A general heads up. Do not expect the dealer to perform the PDI. You must be prepared to guide them thru it. There are plenty of PDI check lists on the internet. Find one, and modify it to fit your trailer. You have the most power seconds before you sign. Ensure you have checked everything off your list. Once you take possession and find problems, it may be months before it gets fixed. You are coming up on busy season.
Tanks and water hookup: One of the things to check for is a complete witness of water hookup, and emptying all the tanks. Have them also exercise the fresh water tank and the pumps. Most people are reluctant to ask the dealer to work the tanks.
Tires: After 3 years all RV tires are suspect. Be prepared to replace them or use as negotiation tool.
Check for water damage: The biggest issue to watch out for is possible water damage. Check exterior for delamination of even the smallest size, and interior for any soft spots on the floor. Get on the roof check all calking.
Frame: Look for uneven tire wear as possible indication of axle of frame issues.

There are many other things to check for, and the list is too long to be posted on a thread. You can see that a PDI list is the most important tool for you to ensure you are getting a good trailer. If this seems too daunting, find an experienced mobile RV tech and have him guide you thru a PDI.
CC75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 10:12 AM   #5

Thanks for the reply's. We ended up purchasing this trailer. I checked everything over the best I could and didn't see any issues, all the appliances and tanks are guaranteed to work before it leaves their lot, plus I bought an extended warranty that covers them as well. My biggest concern was reading about the left slide cracking on the outside, which doesn't seem to be a widespread issue, only a few accounts of it. It just makes me nervous for the future. Overall I'm pleased with the trailer and excited to get it out!
Tx_Wildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 01:58 PM   #6

Congrats, enjoy!!!!!!!
2015 Ram Laramie Hemi, w/air suspension
30 years RV'ing
11 different RV's
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 06:21 PM   #7

We have a 2016 Wildcat 327CK! We love it, yes we had and have some issues with it. Our landing gear wouldn't work when we went to pick it up and of course with our luck it still wasn't fixed when we went to pick it up the next time either. We have a couple outside LED lights that have only 1/2 of the cluster lighting, and a cargo door latch that is loose. After contacting our Dealer, everything was under Guarantee! As others have said, even new houses have issues, someone on our forum said, the best Camper to buy is one that's 5 years old, that way the original owner worked all the bugs out of it! You'll love it, and you'll change things to suit your needs and tastes, that's what personalizes your Wildcat from mine and others! Relax and Enjoy!
TnP5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 07:15 PM   #8

I have had four Forest River products and three were great. The Wildcat Sterling that I ordered from the factory should have never left the factory. It was without a doubt the prettiest camper that I have ever owned. I wish I had been using this forum then like I am now. But I had researched the Wildcat for more than a year, I went to the factory to look at how the Wildcat was made. I met Wildcat Chris and he had a Wildcat Sterling pulled up to show me and DW all about it. Went home and ordered it and it was a new model 32RL Wildcat Sterling, they aren't made anymore. I think Wildcat had too many lines they were making at the time. I had been looking at the 29RLBS for awhile but Wildcat quit making it and the Sterling was supposed to take its place. But again it sure was pretty, we just couldn't make it work. The dealer had it more than us, we stayed at Tom Johnson campground more than anyplace else. The only big trouble I have had with the last two Cedar Creek's that I have owned is the front cap fading and it was replaced at the factory. I know right many people that have Wildcats and they love them and wouldn't have anything else. That's what really sold us on the Wildcat was all the good reviews.
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 06:48 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx_Wildcat View Post
Hello all, I'm new to the camping world. I'm a railroad conductor and thought it would be nice to have a trailer for work and recreation, so I did a little research and decided on the wildcat. Today I put a deposit down on a 2013 wildcat 327ck and should pick it up next week, but I read a few forums where people were having a lot of issues out of this model, it's making me feel a little uneasy. Is there anyone else with this model who could add to this, thanks for any help fellas!
We have a 2012 Wildcat Sterling which was the model designation the year before yours. We LOVE it and have had no major issues at all!
We did have a tire blow and I replaced all 4 of them with Maxxis 8008s. Added a TPMS system for peace of mind.
Old 03-20-2017, 10:35 PM   #10

I purchased my 2002 last summer. Everything works 100%. Only issue I had was the ref froze everything in it. Replaced the thermistor and all was good.

Some brand new have problems, some 14 years old work just fine. Mine is on a permanent site in the Berkshires.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat, wildcat