Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-20-2022, 07:30 AM   #1

First winter

2022 F.R. Wildcat 5th wheel.
We have been full timers since May. Looking at our first winter. On our panel there is a switch for “Tank heater”. When and how should we use this. We don’t boondock, yet, so will be on shore power for 2-3 weeks, 1 day travel then back into a park. When the temp will be below mid 30’s do I just leave it on? Is it electric or propane?

Also, other than a heated or insulated fresh water hose what should I be sure I have?

Any advise will be greatly appreciated.
Russellvh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 05:21 PM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russellvh View Post
We have been full timers since May. Looking at our first winter. On our panel there is a switch for “Tank heater”. When and how should we use this. We don’t boondock, yet, so will be on shore power for 2-3 weeks, 1 day travel then back into a park. When the temp will be below mid 30’s do I just leave it on? Is it electric or propane?

Also, other than a heated or insulated fresh water hose what should I be sure I have?

I'll take a shot at a couple of your questions.
Tank heaters are rubber-looking pads similar to heating pads stuck to the bottom of your tanks. They are powered by 12vDC. On my Wildcat, all 4 of mine are powered by a single lighted switch... and they are thermostatically controlled -- meaning if it's above a certain temperature, they don't come on.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 06:17 PM   #3

Thanks.
Russellvh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2022, 03:35 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russellvh View Post

Tank Heaters = 12v electric pad on bottom of tanks

Water house = heated leave plugged in to 110v outlet - turns on and off when its needed

rv skirting would be great as well

insulate sewer pipes so they dont freeze

cover ac unit(s)

insert thick foam pads into ceiling vents
jimspencer741 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2022, 05:14 PM   #5

This is my third winter stationary in SLC. It can get cold here. These are things that I have found helpful in making me comfortable:
  • Extra insulation. I insulated with fiberglass R13 household insulation everywhere I could. This has been the most beneficial modification and made all the difference between year one and two. Same insulation in the shower skylight. It's dark, but warm (and cool in summer). Don't forget to insulate the outside shower cubby and under the dinette benches.
  • Shrink wrapping the windows. This was most noticeable in the bedroom. Before, the walls and area below the windows was freezing. The shrink wrap made a dramatic difference in that area.
  • Foam insulation below the bed. Not sure your bed configuration, but I put 1/2" foam under all the junk under my bed. This is a new project for this winter so we'll see if the bed is any warmer. Speaking of that...electric blanket is my best friend...and two cats cuddled up.
  • And while we're in the bedroom, I put thin carpet on the "headboard" section of the wall. This makes it so nice if I accidentally touch that cold wall while sleeping. It also helps to keep my head warm while sleeping.
  • Propane heat as primary, electric as secondary. I have one quarts radiant 500/1000/1500 heater and one small ceramic space heater that lives under my desk. I set the thermostat to 60 at night and 68 during the day and augment with periodic space heater use if I get a bit of a chill.
  • Heated hose is a must. It doesn't take much of a temp drop to freeze (first year mistake). I also have a foam spigot cover on my flange. I keep the pressure regulator insulated in flexible foam. The hose is draped over my sewer pull valves to keep them thawed (sometimes, if it's in the teens, I still need a heat gun on low for 10 min to dump my black tank). I have never had any tanks freeze on me despite no tank heaters. I keep my fresh water tanks half full in case of emergency and they have never frozen (knock on wood). Grey tank is left open and black tank dumped once a week or so.
  • No skirt. I priced skirts and ran the numbers. They just weren't cost effective for the payoff. My propane lasts quite a while and my power bill isn't through the roof.
  • I also do not cover my AC. I have no drafts from it. I just clean it in the Fall and make sure the seals are good. It may help a little to cover it, but not much, I think.
  • Thick vent insulators, shiny side down.
  • Close hood vent. Come to think of it, I think this year, I'll stuff some foam in there. That's a pretty thin piece of plastic.
  • Dress in layers.

This is what works for me. Maybe not for everyone, but as I say, I'm comfortable.
MrRnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2022, 05:51 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRnB View Post
This is my third winter stationary in SLC. It can get cold here. These are things that I have found helpful in making me comfortable:
  • Extra insulation. I insulated with fiberglass R13 household insulation everywhere I could. This has been the most beneficial modification and made all the difference between year one and two. Same insulation in the shower skylight. It's dark, but warm (and cool in summer). Don't forget to insulate the outside shower cubby and under the dinette benches.
  • Shrink wrapping the windows. This was most noticeable in the bedroom. Before, the walls and area below the windows was freezing. The shrink wrap made a dramatic difference in that area.
  • Foam insulation below the bed. Not sure your bed configuration, but I put 1/2" foam under all the junk under my bed. This is a new project for this winter so we'll see if the bed is any warmer. Speaking of that...electric blanket is my best friend...and two cats cuddled up.
  • And while we're in the bedroom, I put thin carpet on the "headboard" section of the wall. This makes it so nice if I accidentally touch that cold wall while sleeping. It also helps to keep my head warm while sleeping.
  • Propane heat as primary, electric as secondary. I have one quarts radiant 500/1000/1500 heater and one small ceramic space heater that lives under my desk. I set the thermostat to 60 at night and 68 during the day and augment with periodic space heater use if I get a bit of a chill.
  • Heated hose is a must. It doesn't take much of a temp drop to freeze (first year mistake). I also have a foam spigot cover on my flange. I keep the pressure regulator insulated in flexible foam. The hose is draped over my sewer pull valves to keep them thawed (sometimes, if it's in the teens, I still need a heat gun on low for 10 min to dump my black tank). I have never had any tanks freeze on me despite no tank heaters. I keep my fresh water tanks half full in case of emergency and they have never frozen (knock on wood). Grey tank is left open and black tank dumped once a week or so.
  • No skirt. I priced skirts and ran the numbers. They just weren't cost effective for the payoff. My propane lasts quite a while and my power bill isn't through the roof.
  • I also do not cover my AC. I have no drafts from it. I just clean it in the Fall and make sure the seals are good. It may help a little to cover it, but not much, I think.
  • Thick vent insulators, shiny side down.
  • Close hood vent. Come to think of it, I think this year, I'll stuff some foam in there. That's a pretty thin piece of plastic.
  • Dress in layers.

This is what works for me. Maybe not for everyone, but as I say, I'm comfortable.

We did our own RV Skirting - kits from online or someone local is WAY too much.

Our vinyl is from Marine Vinyl Fabric online.

We bought 39 yards of it @ 54" tall, you get 15% off per yard, comes out to $298 before tax & ship

Its: UV treated, mold & mildew resistant, cold weather resistant down to -23F, heavy duty at 30oz, waterproof, scratch resistant, flame resistant to CAL TEC BULLETIN 117-2013

TO attached to the 5th wheel we got 3 sets/kits of stainless steel snaps from amazon at $16/piece. Then the special tool to make it all go together was like $38.

So all together approx. $388 plus tax.

One weekend attached snap anchors to 5th wheel. Next weekend attached snaps to vinyl and vinyl to 5th wheel on one day, next day we anchored vinyl to ground with 10" steel spikes.
jimspencer741 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winter