Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-29-2019, 09:02 PM   #1

flipping breaker

I have a 2013 wildcat this week its been 100 degrees its flipping the breaker
I have turned the temp up to 85 but still flips the breaker it does take some time before it happens I have it wired into a separate out let to my home, any ides I have a warranty and will be calling if I cant fix it any
lazerdms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 09:26 PM   #2

Which Breaker? What amp outlet are you plugged into? What gauge cord and how long?

Need way more info.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 09:28 PM   #3

well let's ask the questions!

what breaker is tripping? the main one in the trailer? the one in the a/c branch circuit? one in you home distribution panel?

what is the size (amperage) of the breaker that is tripping?

i'm assuming you are trying to run the a/c in the trailer. what else that use 120 vac power is on? converter? water heater? residential refrigerator?

i'm assuming you have a 30 amp trailer. how do you have the 30 amp trailer plugged into a 15 or 20 amp household receptacle? what adapters and / or extension cords are you using?

by chance is the house receptacle a GFCi receptacle or protected by a GFCI circuit breaker?

as far as setting the thermostat to 85 i don't think that will have any effect. my understanding is that the thermostat simply tells the a/c to turn on or off. when the a/c is told to run it runs until the thermostat tells it to turn off. it is only capable of running at one speed. this means the compressor, not the fan blower. my point is that the a/c takes the same amount of energy when it is running if it is cooling down to 85 as opposed to 75, it just runs longer when cooling to 75.
Old 05-29-2019, 09:30 PM   #4

Sympathy for the heat. My son is up in a crane at the Port during the heat, there.

But............what Chickdoe said, in spades.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 04:52 PM   #5

its the main 30/20 amp I have a 30 amp wired at my house to keep it plugged
in all the time
Old 05-30-2019, 06:47 PM   #6

are you saying the main 30 amp breaker in the trailer is tripping?

what do you mean by the 30/20 amp?

you say you have a 30 amp outlet at your house so you are simply plugging your 30 amp shore power cord into the 30 amp house receptacle. correct?

ok, it sounds like you are exceeding 30 amps when you turn on the a/c. one a/c should run on 30 amps. do you have any other 120 vac devices turned on in the trailer? the two big users would be the converter and the water heater on electric.

just for a test go to you electric panel and turn all branch breakers off except the one that controls the a/c. see if you can run the a/c when that is the only thing using 120 vac power. it should work without tripping any breaker.
Old 05-30-2019, 07:10 PM   #7
Site Team

Is the outlet you have at your house to run the RV on a dedicated 30A breaker or are you sharing a 20A breaker with other circuits in the house? How long is the power cord from the outlet to the RV? What size is the cord? Please explain the 30 /20A breaker comment.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 07:18 PM   #8

ok I put my glasses on lol its the top 30 amp breaker (main) and under it is the 20 amp A/C the only other thing running is the refrigerator
Old 05-30-2019, 07:33 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
Is the outlet you have at your house to run the RV on a dedicated 30A breaker or are you sharing a 20A breaker with other circuits in the house? How long is the power cord from the outlet to the RV? What size is the cord? Please explain the 30 /20A breaker comment.
No its just runs the RV and the cord is the one that came with the RV from camping world
Old 05-30-2019, 07:48 PM   #10

is the refrigerator a residential one of an rv (absorbtion) one? if rv style is it on electric, gas, or auto? since 120 vac is present if the refrigerator is on auto it would be using the electric also. you say everything else if off. did you do this by turning the breakers off? try turning the refrigerator to auto and then shut off the 10 amp breaker that controls its 120v power supply. with everything off you should be able to run an a/c on a 30 amp circuit.

Tags
breaker