Old 03-06-2020, 09:38 PM   #1

Framing Schedule?

As the signature indicates I have a 2018 29 RLX. It has a microwave/vent hood comb unit over the range. The problem is that the vent hood is not actually vented, I believe the problem is where the rear venting hole comes out of the unit aims directly at a frame so they couldn't cut a hole for the outside vent (I don't think they even set it up correctly to recirculate), so when using the stove top or oven the CO produced by the burning propane goes nowhere unless I open a roof vent (not a great option, I'd rather not draw the grease and other byproducts to the white ceiling). Every other camper I've ever been in has the range vented and warning labels about running the cooking appliances without venting because of CO. So all that being said I have what I need to install an outside vent, I'm thinking to top vent the unit and use a 90 degree elbow to turn it to the wall to an outside vent assembly. I've already done the morning dew thing and gotten measurements on the outside to find the framing but I'd feel a lot better if there was a way to get a diagram, plan, blue print, schedule or whatever might be available to know precisely where the framing is in the outside wall of the kitchen slide. So the big question....does anyone know if this is available anywhere?

Old 03-06-2020, 09:53 PM   #2

many RV's are that way. in fact even many homes the range hood don't vent outside. the CO from cooking is not going to kill you because you should open the roof vent anyway, to vent out moisture. but don't try to heat your RV with your stove.

the real problem is bacon and hamburger smell lingering

Old 03-06-2020, 10:43 PM   #3

You are correct about many homes not being vented the difference I see there is the volume difference between the average home and a camper to dissipate CO (not to mention most sticks and bricks aren't sealed up quite as tight). I do have a powered roof vent close to the range but as I said I really don't want to deal with the eventual grease stains. If vented properly most of any moisture would also be dealt with through the hood vent and the grease would be caught (at least some of it) in the hoods filter.
Old 03-07-2020, 01:02 AM   #4

vent

I believe that the vent to the outside has a lever to open it, inside the vent on the outside. It is usually delivered closed so critters cant get it. There are some "101 RV" videos that show how that is done. Take a look inside the little vent outside and see if that is not true. It is on mine and many others.

Bill

RockinH Bill and Shannon
2019 Silverback 37RTH
2014 Shadow LQ 3 horse select
2015 Ram Laramie DRW
2012 Concours
Rockinh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 07:07 AM   #5

Chances are your frame is Alm. If so you can cut a hole thru the wall and just not cut the frame piece out. Just block around the new opening with wood blocking, or metal A/C tape, before you change the hood venting and rehang the hood, They are convertible. Don't go thru the roof. RV is just an upside down boat. Don,t invite any leaks. I vented my 5er last year thru the side wall. I missed the framing. Verify your framing with a cheap stud finder instead of morning dew.

They don't leave out vented hoods for framing. They leave them out to save money. Just like a home builder. Recirculating range hoods that blow the exhaust back in you face are a joke. that is what yours is doing know. Ttrink39:

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 08:19 AM   #6

Our Sunseeker class C has a range hood vented to the outside. When we shopped, we looked at Dynamax, and they had no vented range hood. Then, shortly after our unit was built last year, the galley plan was revised by Forest River and now our Sunseeker model no longer features a vented range hood.

The reason I say all this is that apparently no range vent cuts build costs, and the expectation of the manufacturer is that you would use the roof vent. Many buyers would probably pay no attention to that feature. Thatís not for me, so Iím glad we bought a unit with a vent.
Old 03-07-2020, 09:06 AM   #7

Most manufacturers don't use an outside venting range hood for a couple of reasons. Cost might be one. Open penetrations through the fiberglass exterior can lead to delamination and expensive warranty claims. Much cheaper to use a recirculating type hood, some even use a charcoal filter.
Old 03-07-2020, 09:40 AM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by R time soon View Post
Most manufacturers don't use an outside venting range hood for a couple of reasons. Cost might be one. Open penetrations through the fiberglass exterior can lead to delamination and expensive warranty claims. Much cheaper to use a recirculating type hood, some even use a charcoal filter.
I don't know why they are using non-vented range hoods but I agree that is a terrible thing to do in a small RV. Earlier this year we spent 5 weeks in our trailer. One morning I lit the oven to bake biscuits and within a couple of minutes both of us had burning eyes. I put on my shoes and stepped out into the rain and flipped the tiny catches to allow our vent to open.

If they are using non-vented hoods because another hole in the wall might be a de-lamination issue- please keep in mind EVERY door and window and refrigerator and water heater and outside storage is a hole in the wall. Can't imagine the tiny stove vent would be a problem.
1999 Suzuki Intruder Motorcycle
Blue Ox WD hitch

Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-35
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 12:45 PM   #9

re-post

I already posted to this thread. I looked at a few of the 2018 wildcat models like yours and they all have a small vent in the slide. Unless your floorplan is somehow different, it should already have a vent in the kitchen slide. And the ones they use on hood vents have to be opened from the outside.

RockinH Bill and Shannon
2019 Silverback 37RTH
2015 Ram Laramie DRW
2012 Concours
Old 03-07-2020, 01:11 PM   #10

Every camper I have had has been vented to the outside and I have had eight. I currently have a 5th wheel and a toyhauler and they are both vented outside. There is a small latch that you undo to allow the vent to open and exhaust to the outside. I am familiar with range hoods in homes that do not vent outside but use a carbon filter instead. Maybe they are doing this in campers now.
comfun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 07:06 PM   #11

There seemed to be a lot of minor changes in a short time for this model, the earlier versions had an outside compartment in the kitchen slide (it was a good use of the dead space behind the entertainment center...might be another project) that isn't there anymore, there was a window by the range that is gone and where there was a hood vent with the microwave above it is now a combination unit with no vent to the outside. I know its probably a minor thing but I'd feel better being able to vent the range. I have a good idea where the framing is but it'd be nice to be a little more certain. The basic plan would be to mark up where I believe it the vent can go, probe around to check for any part of the frame. The next step before cutting the actual hole for the outside part of the vent, unless someone knows a reason a reason not to do this, would be to cut just the luan of the hole and expose foam insulation which I'm assuming would make it very obvious if there was any framing within the cut out area.
Old 03-07-2020, 10:13 PM   #12

vent

Quote:
Originally Posted by awoj64 View Post
There seemed to be a lot of minor changes in a short time for this model, the earlier versions had an outside compartment in the kitchen slide (it was a good use of the dead space behind the entertainment center...might be another project) that isn't there anymore, there was a window by the range that is gone and where there was a hood vent with the microwave above it is now a combination unit with no vent to the outside. I know its probably a minor thing but I'd feel better being able to vent the range. I have a good idea where the framing is but it'd be nice to be a little more certain. The basic plan would be to mark up where I believe it the vent can go, probe around to check for any part of the frame. The next step before cutting the actual hole for the outside part of the vent, unless someone knows a reason a reason not to do this, would be to cut just the luan of the hole and expose foam insulation which I'm assuming would make it very obvious if there was any framing within the cut out area.
Probably should pull the hood and microwave and make sure the hood has a place on it for an outside vent. Lay it out and cut with an oscillating cutter and you can cut thru just the luan. And if it doesnt work out, when you put the hood back in place, it wouldnt show.

RockinH Bill and Shannon
2019 Silverback 37RTH
2015 Ram Laramie DRW
2012 Concours