Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-11-2013, 09:48 AM   #1

Front Strut Sheared Pin in Helical Gears

Continuing saga from my first sheared pin...2010 28 foot Wildacat
Now the other landing gear (leveling legs) has sheared a pin for the helical gears. AM I THE ONLY ONE WITH THIS PROBLEM?...can't be. Maybe I just am running them up to high but have been conscious of not doing that - something to consider though - should be a micro switch to stop the uptake.
Oh well, thank God I can do my own repairs...
Any other tips. The first one that sheared I replaced with a steel roll pin - 20 cent pin & a $20.00 taxi ride to get it LOL!
webmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 11:02 AM   #2

Will the roll pin "shear" to protect the mecanism? Hope so.
Master Blaster of the Navy
BigTJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 11:32 AM   #3

Front landing gear

Yes that was a concern. It is a trade off. That is why I need to really be more careful with raising to high. The trade off is having to do this repair on the road. Not sure yet about the motor mechanism, do you think it might have some sort of a clutch type slip for those folks that run up or down way to far?
Thanks for the thought...
Old 03-11-2013, 05:40 PM   #4

Unknown about the slip mechanism, not sure I would try that. What I would do, is mark the max extension and retraction so I would not exceed either. Just a thought.
Master Blaster of the Navy
BigTJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 05:51 PM   #5
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTJohn View Post
Will the roll pin "shear" to protect the mecanism? Hope so.
Yes -that is the primary purpose of a "shear pin". It "shears" to protect the mechanism it is a part of to prevent an overload and cause further damage.
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 05:53 PM   #6
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by webmeister View Post
Yes that was a concern. It is a trade off. That is why I need to really be more careful with raising to high. The trade off is having to do this repair on the road. Not sure yet about the motor mechanism, do you think it might have some sort of a clutch type slip for those folks that run up or down way to far?
Thanks for the thought...
Our Silverback front and rear jacks will change sound if/when either set of them is raised/lowered too far.
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 06:36 PM   #7

Thank you all, I called it a shear pin but I am guessing because we all know it should be a shear pin for safey of the system especially without a micro switch shut off.

Anyway, got into it to day & found it was not the pin this time. Strangest thing, the flat washer under the pin & gear broke in half - man some cheap metal. The gear dropped down and began to skip teeth then chewed some teeth. Dealer had gears in stock (common problem) - pins are solid steel.

thanks all for your input...you bet Big John, I am going to mark them for sure...
Old 07-17-2015, 09:15 PM   #8

Going to high could cause it from other posts I have read, the two sides also need to synchronized. and IF I were you forget about those 20 cent pins. The pin is a "shear pin" but supposed to be at least a Grade 5 in quality

2009- 42 days; 2010-40 days, 2011- 40 days. 2012- 30 days,
2013- 14 days, 2014- 21 days, 2015- 42 days
2016-17 days, 2017-zero days
Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote