Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-17-2012, 08:11 PM   #1

Furnace blows hard in rear, soft up front

I have a 2010 Wildcat 29BH fifth wheel (rear bunks). The furnace blows extremely hot air with fairly strong force in the rear of the coach (where the bunks are). The living quarters' vent isn't so strong and the vent in the master suite (above the king pin) barely blows any air at all.

Has anyone experienced this. Obviously it isn't an issue with the furnace itself as it is working really well to the rear.

Any ideas on how to correct this, or make the air hotter in the master suite? Thanks
twrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 08:24 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I'm assuming that the furnace is also located at the rear of the camper. The air velocity will be the highest closet to the furnace (path of least resistance). One of the few things you can do is to restrict the flow at bit on the outlets closest to the furnace to force more flow towards the front. You should also check up front to ensure that the flexible ducting is properly connected and not leaking.

We also run the ceiling fan to help distribute the heat.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 12:52 PM   #3

You have to remember that as the heated air from the furnace travels through the trailer’s duct work it becomes more and more dispersed. Your holding tanks in the belly of the trailer are heated by ambient air from the furnace and your front storage compartment should have some of the heat going into it also. By the time it gets back up to the last vent in the front bedroom room there’s not much left.

Unless your front bedroom is uncomfortably cold I would leave well enough alone. You might also consider a small space heater for the front bedroom. I have found that by cracking the front ceiling vent just a bit, air circulates through the trailer much better. Hot air rises, so with better circulation heat moves up to the higher bedroom more quickly.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 02:19 PM   #4

New 2012 Sabre 31 RETS-6, first trip out last week. I find the same problem with the heat in the bedroom. You can hardly feel any air coming from the bedroom register. I even put tape over the register in the basement but it didn't do much. This is my third 5th. wheel in 4 years and all the others worked much better. The register in the living room and the one in the kitchen (which is only a couple of feet from the furnace) blow a nice volume of heated air but the register in the bathroom and bedroom, very little. I will let the dealer look at it before fall.

ret2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 06:32 PM   #5

You might want to open the front of the furnace and take a look at the plenum, mine had dropped. I pulled the ductwork up and reattached it. I also made a sleeve to cover the exposed wood. I also blocked off a portion of the vent dumping into the belly as there is no ductwork attached to it and it will take the most air. Caution: Before blocking anything or throttling your vents down, look at the paperwork for the furnace and they should list a minimum number of ducts needed to operate the furnace safely.
Filthy Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 06:42 PM   #6
Now a "Top Member"

I replaced the rear floor vent with a vent that I'm able to close. Also the one in the living area. With just that we're able to get much more hot air to the front of the rig. It makes a lot of difference.
Retired AF MSgt

I thought I was wrong once, but I was wrong!
EdJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 04:10 PM   #7

Thanks for all of the advice. I'll spend next weekend looking into this. I can't help but think I have a duct-work issue so I'll check there and probably block off a portion of the register in the rear room.
twrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 09:35 PM   #8

Yes my TT had the same issue! my rear bunk bedroom would roast!!! I limited the amount of airflow by putting a piece of aluminum facia under the vent. I decreased the vent opening by 70%. now the trailer heats up properly and there are no hot spots in the trailer.

Better to have a bad day of camping than a good day at work!
Dodge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 10:13 PM   #9

take pics

We have the same problem. All the heat is in the front bedroom and hardly any heat out of the other vents. I removed vent covers, with a flash light and cell phone camera I took pictures of the inside of the ducts to find out the duct work was completely collapsed. Which was restricting the airflow except for one vent. I'm still trying to find out what to do to fix it but not having much luck with the service company.
meanilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 10:17 PM   #10
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

We had the dealer take off and close up heat to the underbelly then they installed adjustable registers in bunk house and main living area.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 11:35 PM   #11
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by twrv View Post
I have a 2010 Wildcat 29BH fifth wheel (rear bunks). The furnace blows extremely hot air with fairly strong force in the rear of the coach (where the bunks are). The living quarters' vent isn't so strong and the vent in the master suite (above the king pin) barely blows any air at all.

Has anyone experienced this. Obviously it isn't an issue with the furnace itself as it is working really well to the rear.

Any ideas on how to correct this, or make the air hotter in the master suite? Thanks

Slightly OT - but this is a good time to ask a question of you all -

I have noticed some FW units that have the furnace located about half way between the front and rear of the unit (don't recall specific models).
I always thought that is a better location for it as the warm air travels equal distance from the front to the back which would prevent this type of problem. Our 29rk furnace is located in the rear and I haven't noticed any air flow peoblems.

Your thoughts.
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 12:14 AM   #12
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Mines in the middle great heat to rear little to front
Old 06-16-2012, 12:21 AM   #13
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
Mines in the middle great heat to rear little to front
Well it was a theory of mine - guess that is why I am not an engineer.

I am sure that many different things come into consideration on something like this - size of furnace, ducting size and routing, fan size, etc.
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 12:36 AM   #14
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I'm thinking a duct work issue.
Air will flow or follow path of least resistance.
Old 06-16-2012, 05:23 AM   #15

Wow, I'm surprised a dealer installed more 1 adjustable register. The heater manuals have a lot of warnings in them about causing a fire hazard by overheating the burners by restricting the airflow out of the ducts. Make sure not to restrict too many at the same time.
SinkorSwim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 05:50 AM   #16
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by SinkorSwim
Wow, I'm surprised a dealer installed more 1 adjustable register. The heater manuals have a lot of warnings in them about causing a fire hazard by overheating the burners by restricting the airflow out of the ducts. Make sure not to restrict too many at the same time.
They installed 3