Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-08-2022, 06:47 PM   #1

Is more better

2022 F.R. Wildcat 5th wheel.

Being very new to this one of the first things I bought was a City water filter. I got the one with two filters in a holder. It’s a bit large and bulky but I figured twice the filters. Everywhere I go I see people with just the single filter. Usually a blue one.

Is the double one better or am I waisting space?
Russellvh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2022, 07:46 PM   #2
Site Team

It might help if you posted which Wildcat model number you bought since there are about 11 different model numbers.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Forest River Forums mobile app
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2022, 09:01 PM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russellvh View Post
2022 F.R. Wildcat 5th wheel.

Being very new to this one of the first things I bought was a City water filter. I got the one with two filters in a holder. It’s a bit large and bulky but I figured twice the filters. Everywhere I go I see people with just the single filter. Usually a blue one.

Is the double one better or am I waisting space?
I use two filters in line with each other. I put different filters in each one. I've seen some setups with 3.

It's never affected my water pressure and based on how they look when I change them they are doing their job.
Iwritecode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2022, 10:52 PM   #4

We've never had an issue with the single screw-on blue water filter. We use tap water for everything, drinking, ice, coffee, cooking.
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2022, 11:27 PM   #5

We've always used just the one outside (cheaper) filter.
However, we only drink bottled water...a personal preference. So the principle reason for a water filter in our rigs has been to keep crud out of the plumbing.
Old 11-09-2022, 09:23 AM   #6
Defender of America

I use just one filter. Replace it at the start of each season. I drink bottled water because it's easier for me. But I do brush my teeth using tap water.
Centerline TS WDH
Nick Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2022, 09:27 AM   #7
Site Team

We use a blue inline hose filter for all water going into the trailer. Then we use a Brita pitcher to filter everything for drinking, ice, coffee, tea, cooking.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2022, 09:28 AM   #8

depends on what you want out of the filtration system. The single blue camco filters have a 20 micron filtration suitable for eliminating crude and impurities. These do not remove bacteria which would need a filtration under 1 micron.... the two filter system i quickly looked up has a 0.5 micron filtration- so this one removes most bacteria - but keep in mind the removal only lasts as long as it takes for the water to hit your camper's piping - so diligence in water system sanitization also plays a part for your camper's water system.
Just us gals (me, Sis and our daughters)
We spend alot of money to go sit in the woods
GalsofEscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2022, 09:33 AM   #9

ditto on the bottled water and keep the crud out using a single filter

use the big double / triple if the water is from a dirty smelly well

and there is no reason you couldn't try using a throw away single in front of the more expensive bigger filters to increase their lifespan

I buy the cheaper filters when they are on special ... keep a supply at home.
Old 11-09-2022, 09:42 AM   #10
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalsofEscape View Post
depends on what you want out of the filtration system. The single blue camco filters have a 20 micron filtration suitable for eliminating crude and impurities. These do not remove bacteria which would need a filtration under 1 micron.... the two filter system i quickly looked up has a 0.5 micron filtration- so this one removes most bacteria - but keep in mind the removal only lasts as long as it takes for the water to hit your camper's piping - so diligence in water system sanitization also plays a part for your camper's water system.
X2

It depends... if you want more filtration (of whatever) then having two filter canisters with DIFFERENT media cartridges in each canister is perfectly fine.

If you want basic crud/smell removal, a single cartridge filter will also do just fine whether that be the blue bullet, screw on hose type or something more permanent. Each individual needs to determine what they feel necessary.

Also keep in mind, many (not all) FR units come with an on-board filter. Does your R/V have one of those? If it does, you have a choice to use it along with an out-board filter or remove the factory filter completely (as many do) because of issues with them leaking and hard to access.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2022, 10:50 AM   #11

We use one of the blue inline filters. We keep it in the refrig when not being used to minimize bacteria growth in the filter. And start out with a new one every year. Of course, we are casual campers. Weekends, a few days mid-week, etc.

As to water, I always carry a couple of gallons of water from the house, just in case. And I usually start with the onboard tank filled with the water from the house. Otherwise, we use site campground water for everything.

Bob
Bob K4TAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2022, 11:09 AM   #12

Another viewpoint:
We went far down the RV water filtration rabbit hole. I can't even remember all the different filtration systems and types we tried. We had filters for taste and micron levels. We spent a lot of time (and money) cleaning them, deciding when to replace them and how to keep them from growing mold between uses.
One day I was sitting there contemplating how big a PITA the filter process was, how much time it was taking maintaining them, and how little return we actually got. I talked with Liz and then chucked it all in the trash. How freeing that was!
We haven't used any filters in 11 years or so and have not regretted it once.
I do sanitize the RV water system about twice a year and we use bottled water for the coffee pot. We usually run off the tank/pump so we always travel with full fresh tank and fill at known 'good' water sources.
Just another option....
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2022, 11:31 AM   #13

I use old 1 gallon water bottles for drinking, coffee and cooking. Filled at the home tap. 4 lasts the 2 of us, 5 days. A cheap hose filter for the FW tank or CG hookup takes care of the rest..
1100mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2022, 01:20 PM   #14
Defender of America

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
...we always travel with full fresh tank and fill at known 'good' water sources.
This zeros in on the most important component.
Centerline TS WDH
Nick Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2022, 02:27 PM   #15

We're of the "travel dry and fill up smart" camp, adding "get water" to our trip plans. Your two stage filter is expensive and does a FANTASTIC job, especially using the right filters on any compromised water sources.

The "blue torpedo" filters that many use are less capable, less durably constructed, and do a worse job at filtering (even occasionally adding carbon granules to the waterflow)... but they might be okay for those people's uses (especially if they are passing through an onboard filter, as well). It all has to do with what the water is like that you're sourcing at.

I don't know what to say to those who insist that "water is water, no matter where you go." Water is GENERALLY okay, but - having worked in the water infrastructure space for decades - this statement is not even close to being true across the board. Simply put, water quality can differ greatly from place to place/source to source - and especially the places we camp. SOME places suffer from notoriously bad water, and we've noticed this from Wisconsin to Florida, from South Carolina to South Dakota. Likewise, you usually don't have to go far to find GOOD water - especially if there's distribution infrastructure built up where you're filling. Even well water can be good (just as it can be bad), and comes with its own set of properties to take into consideration.

We're rarely on hookups, but filter to keep the onboard tank clean and tasty, and have a Britta pitcher that we keep full and in the fridge. (The before-and-afters photos of water passing through the Britta can be significant).

I've hiked and camped across a wide swath of the country, and am happy to take these additional steps to ensure clean, safe, and tasty water in my camper.

Just my .02, your mileage (and very valid experience and opinions) may vary.
15kBTU AC; 12v fridge; 1kW roof-mounted solar panels; 80 amp MPPT charge controller; 3,500w pure sine wave inverter; 30a automatic transfer switch; MicroAir EasyStart, 600ah Chins LiFePo; Honda EU2200i (with Hutch Mountain propane conversion kit) gathering dust in the storage unit.
Rhumblefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2022, 12:51 PM   #16

Wanting to be on the safer side, my setup is two blue whole house filters in series. First housing has a cheap string filter to get rid of larger grit, sand, etc. Second housing has a 0.5 micron filter for most everything else. I change the string filter as needed - we stopped in one campground where the water was actually muddy, one night there totaled the string filter. I'm lucky, my filter setup fits nicely between the trailer body and rear bumper. I use a short "Flexzilla" hose to go between the filters and the trailer. Not much of a deal to hook up or remove. Longest is draining the water between uses.
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote