Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-02-2013, 07:33 AM   #1

Keeping our 5th wheel safe from freezing weather

We are traveling from Florida to Ohio next Wednesday. Even though the report for Virginia is 32 Degrees at the lowest for our Friday night stay, wondering if we need to protect our 5th wheel. During the day it will warm up, but then on Saturday night in Ohio the temps will be low of 27 Degrees. By then we are done traveling and camper will be sitting. I know we need to probably get the trailer ready at Virginia Campground during the day, since it might get freezing that night.

What is the best way to handle this, and can we do this without putting anti-freeze into fresh water tank? Please, does anyone have simple step by step instructions to follow. I know we have to make sure our pipes have plenty of anti-freeze in them, but concerned about the freshwater lines.

Also, we don't have any air compressors or pumps to use in doing this, limited on what will be available to prepared our 5th wheel for the night ahead and nights to follow. Please help me with this new chore. Never had to winterize. By the way, the bottom of our camper is somewhat sealed off, but pipes are exposed. There are no heating elements on tanks, and we cannot afford them right now.
amishgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 09:12 AM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

While you don't have to worry about your tanks, you will need to prepare your freshwater lines and drains from the freezing temps. I would drain lines then blow them out. If you don't have access to compressor you may be able to do it at a gas station. If that isn't possible, pump the lines with antifreeze and pour some down the drains
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 09:36 AM   #3

After you gravity drain any water in the lines..... Don't know what model you have but look for your water pump you probably have an open line (about 2-3 feet long piece of tubing) to nowhere hooked to a small valve on the drawing end of the line at the pump. That line can be put into a gallon or RV anti freeze turn the valve & turn on the pump open each faucet until pink comes out including outside shower (If you have one) & toilet (may take 2-3 gallons) Hope this helps. If you don't drain the water lines first will just use more anti freeze.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 09:49 AM   #4

Winterize (Before) you leave FLA. Dont put A/F in F/w tank. Buy a Camco water pump adapter for the suction side of water pump,this is where you pump the Pink in.Drain all tanks & W/H. Turn on W/H bypass and pump pink thru H&C lines,ALL of them! Most C/G up north are closed this time of year (water,sewer) so you cant use your systems anyway. You will have a bedroom& storage facility. Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 10:29 AM   #5

Before you buy the Cameo Water pump adapter make sure that you do not already have one many of the newer RV come with them already. Ours did. Find your water pump ours is under the kitchen cabinets

If you are coming up I77 at the Virginia-NC line Mayberry campround at Mt Airy NC is open all year not far off I77. Bennie the owner is very heplful & I am sure can help you if you need assistance. Just a thought.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Old 02-02-2013, 10:55 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaklevel View Post
Before you buy the Cameo Water pump adapter make sure that you do not already have one many of the newer RV come with them already. Ours did. Find your water pump ours is under the kitchen cabinets

If you are coming up I77 at the Virginia-NC line Mayberry campround at Mt Airy NC is open all year not far off I77. Bennie the owner is very heplful & I am sure can help you if you need assistance. Just a thought.
05 Wildcat doubt it has AF valve installed. Youroo!!
Old 02-02-2013, 11:11 AM   #7

Probably right our 06 and 13 Pumas did.......... If not they are great to have I would still check. At first I thought my 06 wound not have the water heater by pass So I bought one only to make another trip to return it.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Old 02-02-2013, 11:28 AM   #8

Youroo, "Don't put A/F in F/w tank."
Why not?
The instructions on the jug say to pour it in the tank and then use the pump.
Twisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 11:36 AM   #9

Have fun when you try to rinse it out! Also if it is so SAFE to drink fix youself a Cocktail with it! Youroo!!
Old 02-02-2013, 11:44 AM   #10

Not only is it a pain to clean out but it takes about 2x - 3x as much RV antifreeze......Won't hurt ya as long as you clean the tank out well...... 20 years ago I did it that way...................

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Old 02-02-2013, 11:45 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
Have fun when you try to rinse it out! Also if it is so SAFE to drink fix youself a Cocktail with it! Youroo!!
If you are concerned about AF in fresh water, just flush tank and lines in the spring. Yes, it May take a little more time to flush, but nothing will freeze.

2006 Ford F150 4.6L
Rrickim63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 11:59 AM   #12

Also most F/W tank pickups are on the side of the tank,unless they have been modified it takes several gal of A/F to prime the pump. Youroo!! PS how is your Cocktail?
Old 02-02-2013, 12:18 PM   #13

Thanks you ttrost65; Oaklevel; youroo and Twisty; all your replies helped us make a decision....we figured out that we would not mess with the fresh water tank...should be okay drained completely out. The rest, we will do what Oaklevel recommended with the short hose at the pump. We don't have to do this until we start to settle in for the night on Friday in Virginia.....it will be cold. On Thursday, South Carolina will be fine...at least we can have comfort for awhile. We have our campgrounds plotted out they all are open in the winter, as I already called them and checked with them. THANKS AGAIN FOR ALL YOUR HELP AND IT ALWAYS HELPS TO HAVE EVERYONE'S FEEDBACK.
amishgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, winterize, wildcat