Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-27-2015, 03:03 PM   #1

King Pin Dripping Water?????

Very strange and very worrisome. When we run the bedroom A/C, we get water dripping off the king pin. No water stain inside and no water visible on the exterior of the hitch box.
We already have a call in to the dealer to document the problem, but we are in San Diego and will not be home for another month. Sure hope we don't get into much rain.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

2021 Jayco Class C model 27U
5er_tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 03:18 PM   #2

This is very interesting to me, I have never heard of this kinda of problem. You would have to leaking at the seal where the cap attaches to the roof and then it could be running down the inside of the cap and coming out where your pin is boxed in. I would check the caulking at the roof where the seal meets.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 03:31 PM   #3

Is your unit nose low?

In June camped out in Baker City, OR I was sitting outside getting the grill ready to cook dinner when a stream of water came off the awning.

After getting on the roof I found water running from the AC to the awning where there was a small pool.

Checked the level and reset the lite so it was butt low and the water rolled off the back.
Old 09-27-2015, 04:11 PM   #4
GLCM Warrior

We didn't have any water dripping from our king pin but have once had water evidently in the underside of the overhang area. When we raised the trailer nose to hook up to the TV after a heavy rain, water came out of the seams along the back and sides of the overhang area. I then pushed up on the underside of the overhang and more water came out. I believe it is due to faulty caulking along the top of the seam where the nose cap meets the side walls, but haven't yet confirmed it.

I've also noticed inside the RV that the staples along the inside panel have started to rust in the same curve area around the headboard (so far, just on the curb side)...but at about the same spot where this outside seam is located.

I'd recommend checking the caulk around this area.
Lefty59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 06:34 PM   #5

RV sits a little nose high at the campsite. I did get on the roof and all seems appear to be well sealed with lots of caulk. This unit was new this past March.
It is indeed strange.
I call it a camp site. It actually is an RV resort on the water at Mission Bay in San Diego. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1443396829.704706.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	90.8 KB
ID:	90082

2021 Jayco Class C model 27U
5er_tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 11:57 AM   #6

Location: Full timer,,,at Lake Georgetown in central Texas for the winter.
Keep your eye on the laminations to see if there's any bubbling and that would shed light on your situation. This could be pretty serious.
Grampa Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 12:16 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5er_tom View Post
Very strange and very worrisome. When we run the bedroom A/C, we get water dripping off the king pin. No water stain inside and no water visible on the exterior of the hitch box.
We already have a call in to the dealer to document the problem, but we are in San Diego and will not be home for another month. Sure hope we don't get into much rain.

There should be a drain hose for the AC unit. It goes to the roof and runs off depending on the pitch of your unit. It sounds like the drain may be blocked. Try raising the nose and see what happens. If the drain is blocked water will build up in the pan and overflow. It will then run out where ever it can. Keeping in mind water takes the path of least resistance like electricity does. Sounds like the water is running towards your nose and down a wall. Your king pin has open space around it so it is dripping out there.

Wish you luck, a water leak can be hard to find, often showing up ten feet from where it starts.

Jim
oldtool2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water