Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-26-2011, 06:23 PM   #1
JAYCO Representative

Lightbulb LED lighting questions...?

How important is LED lighting to an RV?

We're currently using LED lighting on the exterior of all Wildcats, eXtraLites, and Sterling Edition units.

We've been exploring interior LED lighting seriously for over 2 years, but are still concerned about the color (referred to as temperature) of the lighting.

I'm a fan of the low power draw and the small form factor as well as the light intensity. However, the cost is significant.

What are your thoughts? Is this an essential item in a new RV purchase? Do you think it will be (or will be soon)?
Wildcat Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 06:26 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Search on here for L.E.D. lighting, several post, with options, pics, suppliers, etc.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 06:28 PM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I would buy a camper with led interior lighting before I would buy one without .
If it was an option I would think it wouldn't be that much more . led lighting is becoming very inexpensive .
But I can see exterior lighting for running lights would be quite a bit more . since the factory cheap lighting fixtures look and feel like about 50 cents a piece . and average led fixtures would be average of 8.00 each .
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 06:30 PM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by windrider View Post
Search on here for L.E.D. lighting, several post, with options, pics, suppliers, etc.
windrider he was asking for factory reasons .....

he was asking opinions if the factory should do led interior lighting .
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 06:38 PM   #5
JAYCO Representative

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
windrider he was asking for factory reasons .....

he was asking opinions if the factory should do led interior lighting .
Thanks for the clarification...
Old 10-26-2011, 06:47 PM   #6

My Father has replaced almost all of his bulbs in his motorhome with Led's
the big thing is the diffrence in cost of the bulb. I did notice the LED's where a more crisper white then the bulbs that were there.

I will eventually go to LED's but money is tight and I have other stuff to buy so it is not top on my list.

I think what might help is if you go to a single bulb housing instead of the dual bulb housing since LED's are brighter - might save on cost that way (really depends on the area of where you are trying to light though)
USMC 91 - 95 - F/A-18 Aviation Ordnance
sherdep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 07:13 PM   #7

If you could get a warmer color out of them it would be nice but the low power draw is a plus. I would be willing to pay a couple hundred more for a unit to have LED lights in it.
tomjsas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 07:46 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

It will soon be essential. Right now it is a mod that many of us do ourselves if we dry camp often.

I replaced all of my interior lights with warm white LEDs. The color is fairly close to those that Flagstaff used. IMO they are much nicer than the bright white LEDs. I would not put those harsh bulbs in my home or trailer.

It is true that the cost is high with properly manufactured bulbs. I was able to do my trailer for $4-5 per bulb IIRC ordering on Ebay from Taiwan or China. The Revolution bulb, which is more robust, is between $18-25 per bulb. Mine have been fine, but be careful going too cheap as some have experienced flickering or dead SMDs.

You might consider it an option or as part of a package. I think that those who camp a lot off the grid will appreciate the option.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 08:12 PM   #9

Location: Canandaigua,New York (The heart of the Finger Lakes)
Why is money and issue??? I ordered on ebay from CHINA. They had all sorts of sizes and styles all a $1 or less, Shipping was $5 however. They all work fine. Im sure a supplier from China can give you an even better price!(higher quantities) The USA branded products are very expensive and the same exact product unit for unit. I purchased from one...then got smart. So anyway just a thought! -- Check out E-bay ! They also have different light temp's....soft white... bright WHITE.

David & Annamarie & 2-Pugs (Fatty and Harley)
2011 Rockwood Windjammer 3065
2011 Ford F-250 6.2- V8
2011 Hensley Arrow "NO-SWAY" Hitch
BigRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 08:54 PM   #10

I like the LED lights, and would consider them an advantage in my next RV purchase.
akcampr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 09:09 PM   #11

LED should be standard equipment for interior and exterior lights. Wish my Rockwood had them. JMHO.
Old 10-26-2011, 10:19 PM   #12

Does anyone have any real life experience on how changing over to LEDs for interior and/or exterior lighting have saved on battery life while dry camping? Like, how much longer can you be off the grid? Does it make that much of a difference? And do people wind up changing their entire lighting fixtures, or just the bulb?
Taranwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 10:56 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

My answers are below ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taranwanderer View Post
Does anyone have any real life experience on how changing over to LEDs for interior and/or exterior lighting have saved on battery life while dry camping? Like, how much longer can you be off the grid? The answers to your first two questions depend on your needs, usage and battery capacity.

Does it make that much of a difference? Its a big difference. Herk posted a comparison in this thread: 1/10th amp draw for the LED vs. a single 921 Incandescent draws 1.2 amps per bulb.

And do people wind up changing their entire lighting fixtures, or just the bulb?
You would change just the bulbs using your existing fixtures.

You can search the forum, but here are a few interesting threads:

LED 12 volt lighting: Long term results
Interior LED Lamp Upgrade

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 12:38 AM   #14
2007 WildCat 32QBBS

Could make it an option and in kit form for a dealer prep install. If the customer buying a new trailer wants L.E.D.'s then the tech can change them out or the customer can do it.
18CrewDually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 01:29 AM   #15

Location: Canandaigua,New York (The heart of the Finger Lakes)
It is my understanding most Divisions of Forest River are in the Process of changing over to LED lighting. Rockwood/Flagstaff is currently in the change-over stage. The outside running lights are mostly LED's now and shortly interior lights will be changing to LED's. on all of there models. Last I heard Prime-Time is changing over or has changed over in there top of the line models.

David & Annamarie & 2-Pugs (Fatty and Harley)
2011 Rockwood Windjammer 3065
2011 Ford F-250 6.2- V8
2011 Hensley Arrow "NO-SWAY" Hitch
BigRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 07:29 AM   #16

LED lamps use between 10 and 20% of the energy incandescents lamps do. So, If lights were the only power being used the battery should last 5-10 times as long. Unless things have changed recently, all LEDS are made in China. There are some lamps assembled in the US but the LED itself is Chinese. LEDs also last 10 times as long as Incandescent lamps.
I would love to see them come standard (or at least be an option) on all RVs.
CliffP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 07:35 AM   #17
Wanna Be Camper

I agree it should be an option. I am not crazy about the color of most LED lights so to have it as an option and dealers having a display panel set up so people can actually see what they would be buying would be my choice, I bought 4 to test and all I got was one that malfunctioned after 3 days and popped a 15 amp fuse and I hated the color. As to the outside ones, I thank they should be standard. LED ligths are going to get better and better so I do believe it is the future just not the present at least for us.

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 08:37 AM   #18

Thumbs up

We have just purchased our TT in the last month or so and I am already looking at switching to LED's. I think the low power draw is a plus yet my main reason is to reduce heat. When camping in 100+ heat every little bit helps. I would definitely opt for LED from the factory if it was reasonably priced.
dstars99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 01:31 PM   #19
JAYCO Representative

As I mentioned in my initial post, Wildcat has already changed to LEDs on the exterior and we're very pleased with the results. The hesitation on interior lighting has been 2 things: usability and cost.

In terms of usability, the color and intensity of available LEDs is all over the map, so finding the right lighting for the right spaces is important. Replacement LED bulbs are beginning to look more pleasant to the eye (no harsh "hospital" brightness). We've been seeing some great strides forward on light intensity -- the first few samplings of LEDs we evaluated were bright, but the light "fell off" much more quickly than incandescent so it wasn't good for a ceiling light installation, for instance.

As for cost, since we're in need of thousands of lights and not just enough for one coach, we need to be teamed with suppliers who can balance great pricing with guaranteed availability. A Chinese-made "fill-in-the-blank" in your RV is not always the answer for best price, even if some or all of it is imported. We're working with our suppliers to secure the best price for best product -- sometimes you spend a bit more up front and save on costs from failures or shortages. Also, since the LED market in RV is still relatively new, the market pricing isn't quite "set" yet. We're confident that this will come around.

I appreciate all the feedback here very much. It's important to know consumer demand on any upgrade item we evaluate. Thanks again!
Old 10-27-2011, 01:56 PM   #20

LED Interior Lighting

Chris

I like the idea of LED lighting on the interior assuming that it is warm white. If only one of the double bulb fixtures could be changed over to LED that might make it cost effective for FR.

I only use the second bulb if I am working on something and only for a short time. I reading lights get the most use as well as the kitchen, dining and reading in the bedroom. So I guess I am saying that I would rather have some than none.

The dealer I bought from usually orders popular option items with the units so I am sure that you will sell more than you think so you should have some buying power out of the gate.

LED bulbs would make dry camping a real option with limited use of a generator. Thanks for asking.

Regards,

Extremebike

2011 Sterling 32RL
2004 Ford F550 6l

2004 Ford F550 6l Lariat SuperCrew, Fontaine Bed,
Link Systems Air Ride
2011 Sterling 32RL with Michelin XPS tires
extremebike is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
extralite, led, sterling, wildcat, light