Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-25-2015, 12:59 PM   #1

Looking for opinions, good or bad, on Wildcats

My wife and I are getting very close to buying a gently used 2013 Wildcat Maxx 313RE. Would love to hear about anybody's experiences, good or bad, with the quality of the trailer, fit & finish, recurring problems, anything at all. Also would appreciate any advice about specific things we should look at/for before we go see it one more time before we do the deal. Thanks in advance for any input! --Mike in Sacramento, CA
mgood777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 06:31 PM   #2

We just purchasedca 2016 262RGX Wildcat Maxx. We are loading it up getting ready f8r our first trip in it. However, after owning 3 Alpenlite 5th wheels ranging from 27 to 31 feet, I have to say the quality of the unit is very good. So far, I cannot find a cosmetic gripe or wiring issue. My only item, to date, is the bicycle / storage rack as one of the pins will not fit thru in the down position. Sonfar, I am impressedbeith build quality and how it tows and handles. This is my 9th RV, so I have seen a few.
Cider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 10:43 PM   #3

We had tons of issues on our 2012 wildcat, the dealer took care of all but 1, and the factory said I had no issue, ( like they really knew) the brakes were terrible . I replaced the entire wiring from the pin box to the wheels with MS Wire and went up 2 gages, now I see 3 amps at each mag vs 1 amp, and she really will pull me down

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

06 LBZ ,CC 4x
lots of mods
Superglide
jevanb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 12:12 AM   #4

I am having a lot of small issues with my Maxx. I still think it's a good trailer, and will be great once all the kinks are worked out of it. Hopefully since the one you're looking at is a couple years old, the kinks will be worked out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nights camped 2015....23
Tonkatoy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 01:02 PM   #5

We only had one warranty issue fixed by the dealer, all other items work as advertised. Have owned this Wildcat Maxx 24 it's a 2015 model.

So far it's been great, been on 5 trips this year of a week or more and works like a gem.
Avan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 02:25 PM   #6

My biggest issue was the demand water heater. The dealer changed it out for a later model (under warranty). Works much better than the original. It is still tripping the "reset" occasionally, but dealer currently working on that. Also have had issues with the stereo system remote not working with the DVD player, dealer also working on that. Other than that is is doing well. Have purchased a few items from Forest River thru the dealer, have been real satisfied with deliveries & cost. Overall a satisfied customer.
ACE110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 02:31 PM   #7
Site Team

I had a 2010 29rlbs and enjoyed it with no trouble but the tires. Good luck.

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 04:05 PM   #8

I purchased a 2012 wildcat that was new on the lot even though a couple of model years old. I have been quite disappointed in the quality of the unit. Lots of small issues that have been fixed but a couple of larger problems that are still being worked through. I have a delamination I'm the sidewall of the upper slide and a seem that keeps cracking in the outside wall of the main slide. Also having problems with the demand water heater.

I found this unit online. I looked at one at an RV show and was very impressed with the quality of the workmanship on the interior. Bought mine and had it delivered. Wouldn't know it was from the same company because the workmanship was poor at best. If I were buying again right now I would not buy a Wildcat and I will definitely be buying from a local dealer next time.
baughbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 06:45 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by baughbl View Post
I purchased a 2012 wildcat that was new on the lot even though a couple of model years old. I have been quite disappointed in the quality of the unit. Lots of small issues that have been fixed but a couple of larger problems that are still being worked through. I have a delamination I'm the sidewall of the upper slide and a seem that keeps cracking in the outside wall of the main slide. Also having problems with the demand water heater.

I found this unit online. I looked at one at an RV show and was very impressed with the quality of the workmanship on the interior. Bought mine and had it delivered. Wouldn't know it was from the same company because the workmanship was poor at best. If I were buying again right now I would not buy a Wildcat and I will definitely be buying from a local dealer next time.
I did about the same as you, bought New in Jan. '14, except from a local dealer. As I mention in earlier post, I also had issues with the demand hot water heater. My dealer was able to get a new style (covered under warranty) with the variable heat control, that has made a huge difference. I have not seen the delam. issues you have, but will be watching closer knowing your experience. After reading some of the posts from others with new trailers, don't feel my issues have been any worse.
ACE110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 09:19 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgood777 View Post
My wife and I are getting very close to buying a gently used 2013 Wildcat Maxx 313RE. Would love to hear about anybody's experiences, good or bad, with the quality of the trailer, fit & finish, recurring problems, anything at all. Also would appreciate any advice about specific things we should look at/for before we go see it one more time before we do the deal. Thanks in advance for any input! --Mike in Sacramento, CA
Purchased brand new 2013 Wildcat 327CK. Worse investment ever made! Couldn't be more disappointed in the craftsmanship of this unit. Had to send it back to the plant for cracks in sidewalks, and numerous other problems after only 3 months. Very poor quality repair work as well. Steer clear of Wildcats!
ktmpj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 12:38 AM   #11

We have 2012 Wildcat Sterling . Don't like the on demand hot water heater , front cap paint is fading , it delaminating on left side in two spots between the cap & the bedroom window, the floor feels soft in the kitchen area. Like the 5th wheel other wise.
Old 07-28-2015, 04:52 AM   #12

We've owned 2 Wildcat MAXX travel trailers. The first a 2014 24RG and now a 2016 29RKX. We liked the 24RG so much, when we decided to go bigger, Wildcat was the only trailer we looked at. IMHO you can't beat the "bang for the buck" as Wildcat offers more features that the competition. Yes, we had a few small issues with both trailers and our outstanding dealer took care of them immediately. My recommendation- GO FOR IT!
2015 Ram Laramie Hemi, w/air suspension
30 years RV'ing
11 different RV's
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 09:20 AM   #13

"ktmpj...." Good luck on your search

We have owned several RV's over the years.

This '07 03rlbs Wildcat being our second and largest 5th wheel RV has served us well .

There are a lot of WildCats out there being enjoyed.

IMO... you hear/read more about the one's having a problems than from owners that are simply enjoying their WildCats . Many just deal with any events as they come up just like they would and do with all other RV's.

We decided on this WildCat after comparing may other 5th wheels mainly as what " RSchleder...said ...IMHO you can't beat the "bang for the buck" as Wildcat offers more features that the competition."
This is quite true.

However we were lucky enough to find this unit slightly used, which also meant that it needed some personalizing and modifications to make it work for us, not to be unexpected with any other rig we may have bought.

Fortunately, I am quite capable of doing mod's and maintenance that we want to ad.
Staying on top of all the required exterior maintenance guarding against the number one culprit 'water penetration is paramount...with any RV.

I did find 'several' annoying factory finishes that had to be redone, corrected or replaced...simply do to poor quality control at the factory.
Perhaps...until you start forking over the real big bucks and many trips back to the dealer all this would be taken care of for you.

If you are not comfortable or capable of preforming maintenance, routine inspections, equipment replacement.... then the comfort (and cost) of purchasing new provides a period of 'most' issues cared for under warrantee.

Hope this helps

Islander
Edge programmer, 4" SS exhaust turbo/back,
Tru-Cool Max Trans Cooler, Bilstein Shocks
Vancouver Island, B.C., Canada
Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 06:37 PM   #14

Just got back from 3 nights in our new Wildcat Max 5th wheel.
Old 07-29-2015, 06:42 PM   #15

I have to say that we are very pleased with the unit. I found no real issues with the unit. It was comfortable, easy to set up and take down, plenty of storage, roomy enough for us and the 2 dogs. We are taking a 5 day trip to South Beach, Or. later in August, so that may be a better tell. Things I wish were there though are independent front Jacks ans rear stabilizers for better leveling. Don't think the engineers really thought this through.
Old 07-29-2015, 09:07 PM   #16

All Forest river rv are about the same. Be prepared to do a lot of repair work or the dealer will see your rv more than you
67cudafb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 12:03 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cider View Post
I have to say that we are very pleased with the unit. I found no real issues with the unit. It was comfortable, easy to set up and take down, plenty of storage, roomy enough for us and the 2 dogs. We are taking a 5 day trip to South Beach, Or. later in August, so that may be a better tell. Things I wish were there though are independent front Jacks ans rear stabilizers for better leveling. Don't think the engineers really thought this through.

Your trailer doesn't have rear stabilizers?

Are you staying at the state park or the Thousand Trails?

Nights camped 2015....23
Old 07-30-2015, 08:15 AM   #18

Tonkatoy, yes, the unit has rear stabilizers. My point was that both front Jacks and rear stabilizers move together. So far, I see noway to raise or lower one independent of the other. Our stay at South Beach will be at Thousand Traiks. We were given a free 1 year membership when we bought the unit.
Old 07-30-2015, 10:10 AM   #19

We really liked that Thousand Trails.

As far as the jacks, I don't see a need to have them independent. All you are doing is stabilizing the trailer, not leveling it. So if you are on uneven ground, they will still put even pressure on each pad side to side.

Nights camped 2015....23
Old 07-30-2015, 11:38 AM   #20

I agree with what you are saying tonkatoy. I have just had rvs with independent switches, so guess I just got spoiled or use to it. Just more thought into leveling the new rig using tire levelers.

Tags
cat, wildcat