Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-02-2019, 06:48 PM   #1

Low to no flow from furnace vent

First time out with new Wildcat Maxx. Fired up furnace to heat the unit but getting low to now flow from heater vents. Found one opening in the duct in the cargo area and the flow improved some when I plugged it. But nothing like the flow in our old trailer. Does anyone know if there are other openings in the underside of the trailer? Or any reason for the low flow?
Thanks in advanced.
Sincerely
Joe
joespring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 11:16 AM   #2

You need to check at the furnace it's self to see if the connection is tight. Also it's not uncommon for some of the duct work to be smashed or have loose connections somewhere along the line.
Same with the AC.
goduc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 11:56 AM   #3
Site Team

Start at the furnace and make sure the ducts are actually connected and also make sure there are no open duct ports. Then work through the system checking that the duct is connected and also that it's not crushed in places.
Old 04-03-2019, 12:05 PM   #4
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Manufacturers are notorious for leaving ducts loose, smashing the duct work, bending ducts over sharp corners and so on.

The only way to tell what your issue may be is to inspect things.
Often times that is difficult because of an enclosed underbelly or the way the ducting runs through cabinetry.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 01:39 PM   #5
Member Oregon

Smile underbelly

I just opened up the underbelly of my TT last night to see what was in there and just what 'arctic package' means. I had very low flow to my bedroom vent. So that's where I opened up first and low and behold there was about a foot of flexible duct missing or ripped apart that was going to my bedroom vent. The interesting thing is I opened up what looked like a patch on the underbelly where they factory had already been in there before we took possession of the trailer. huh.

I've read quite a few threads similar to my experience so if it were me with your situation I would follow the advice others have shared and search it out.

oh and 'arctic package' looks like means pretty much nothing. I do know my underbelly has a smaller hose from the furnace going into the underbelly. So maybe that's what 'arctic package' means. hahaha
jandrews3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 02:18 PM   #6

Had same issue with my new unit. Took it back to dealer and they found every flex duct full of saw dust and other construction material from the factory. They even took pictures and sent to the plant that made it.
eaglecrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 02:19 PM   #7

On my Wildcat which was before they started to call it Maxx the duct from the furnace to the bedroom upstairs went thru the basement then to the floor upstairs where they used the aluminum frame tubing for ducting so it tended to restrict the flow. I did have alot of flow from the floor register by the furnace so I installed some sheet metal in that furnace run to direct the flow towards the room and it seemed to help somewhat. I think they did a poor job designing the duct system in mine and it is something I will have to live with. Also there is a round duct from the main floor duct to the under belly in the same run as the bedroom duct.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0392.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	186.5 KB
ID:	200644   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0414.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	189.0 KB
ID:	200645   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0401.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	215.7 KB
ID:	200646   Click image for larger version

Name:	DUCT002 copy.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	261.7 KB
ID:	200647  

2001 Ford F-350 DRW 7.3
2011 25 RL Wildcat
former fiver 1976 Fourwinds had for 35 years
onetonford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 03:34 PM   #8
USMC Retired

Low Flow on Heater Vents

I have a 2015 Signature Ultra-Light Model 8315BSS that I purchased new in March of that year. First trip (in southern Michigan) in April and I thought I was gonna freeze the first night! Unfortunately, my unit doesn't have the fireplace option. I checked the furnace flow (bedroom is in the rear of the trailer) and discovered that the flow was virtually non-existent. Bought myself a nice little electric heater to get me by until I could return to the selling dealer (CW in north-central MI). They removed the underbelly covering and told me that there was a piece of the hose that had been smashed almost flat! They indicated they had opened it up by hand as best as they could. There was a slight improvement in the flow, but it's NEVER going to be adequate. So, the nice little heater that I initially intended for one or two camping trips now is a staple item to take along on my early spring trips so as to keep from coming down with frostbite. Just to clear the air, my little heater has a safety tip-over switch and is temperature and/or time adjustable. Hell, it even has a nice little remote so if I get too toasty in the middle of the night, I can turn it off without getting out of my warm bed. It's a Hampton Bay tower unit and I bought it at Home Depot for under $80 but I don't think they have this item any more. Alright, I've rambled enough. Just wanted to add my two cents.
VN Warrior1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 07:04 PM   #9
Just as confused as you

If you have the duct ways that are in the floor where the foam is cut out you will have to look for chunks of foam. This also goes for the cut out AC ducts in the ceiling.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 07:05 PM   #10

we had a similar issue on our 5er - the main trunk was off behind the panel in the passthrough.

the dealer found it when fixing the converter issue when we had no 12 volt power! lol
Old 04-03-2019, 09:26 PM   #11

To inspect those ductworks, an endoscope is a real valuable cheap tool that you can use with your cell or tablet.
Old 04-05-2019, 09:10 AM   #12

Thanks for all the replies. I found a gap between the furnace and the outlet duct.
joespring is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
furnace, vent