Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-22-2015, 08:57 PM   #1

My First Tire Blowout

Last weekend I sustained my first tire blowout on the Wildcat, right rear tire.
My tires were a little over 4 years old. I thought I would get this last short trip to the coast in before changing all 4 tires out this July, before heading north to Oregon for a 6 week outing.
Didn't do too much damage as a result of blowing, however, it did take out the plastic water proof wrapping protecting the floor, cleared all the fiberglass insulation out of the area above the tire, put a small hole in of the two water lines that run above the wheels, cracked the side skirt, and finally bent the gusset that's welded between the inside and outer frame.
Over all I feel lucky that's all the damage it did. I changed the tire pulled the trailer to Les Schwab and had 4 new tires installed. Incidentally one of the tires on the left side had about a 12 inch long crack developing between the tread pattern, just waiting to let loose.
For now on I'm using a 4 year time limit on tires, not to mention a close inspection of the tires after 3 years on the ground.

What I'm thinking about doing is re-routing the water lines to a different location and sealing off the area above both tires with some flat stock aluminum, that way when it happens again, the tread can beat the aluminum to death and not the plastic wrap and insulation.

Bill
2020 GMC Duramax-3500HD 4x4 CrewCab
B&W Companion 25K Fifth Wheel Hitch
2010 Wildcat 28RKBS (West Coast Model)
56 Gallon Titan Tank
bsmall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 09:37 PM   #2

Glad that you are all right. For info, what manufacturer were the tires that failed and with what did yo replaced?
Yamaha 3000iseb generator:Progressive Ind. EMS-HW30C : Eastern Ontario
Nights Camped: 2014 (18) 2015 (18) 2016 (36) 2017 (32) 2018 (42) 2019 (28) 2020 (35)
fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 10:43 PM   #3

Hope they balanced your new tires.
Prodigy
M.I.L. in Florida for good!!
amxpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 11:51 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by fonzie View Post
Glad that you are all right. For info, what manufacturer were the tires that failed and with what did yo replaced?
I had the original TowMaster tires on at the time. I replaced them with Power King TowMax STR 235 80R/16 10 ply.

Power King Towmax STR Tires | The New Standard in Premium Trailer Tires

And yes I did have them balanced with new valve stems put in.
To be honest I was planning on putting on Michelin LT tires on but there wasn't enough clearance between tires after they were on the trailer. They were an inch taller tire, which would leave me only 1/2 inch between tires, and I wasn't comfortable with that.

Bill
56 Gallon Titan Tank
Old 02-24-2015, 12:49 PM   #5

"When it happens again"? Ouch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmall View Post
Last weekend I sustained my first tire blowout on the Wildcat, right rear tire.
My tires were a little over 4 years old. I thought I would get this last short trip to the coast in before changing all 4 tires out this July, before heading north to Oregon for a 6 week outing.
Didn't do too much damage as a result of blowing, however, it did take out the plastic water proof wrapping protecting the floor, cleared all the fiberglass insulation out of the area above the tire, put a small hole in of the two water lines that run above the wheels, cracked the side skirt, and finally bent the gusset that's welded between the inside and outer frame.
Over all I feel lucky that's all the damage it did. I changed the tire pulled the trailer to Les Schwab and had 4 new tires installed. Incidentally one of the tires on the left side had about a 12 inch long crack developing between the tread pattern, just waiting to let loose.
For now on I'm using a 4 year time limit on tires, not to mention a close inspection of the tires after 3 years on the ground.

What I'm thinking about doing is re-routing the water lines to a different location and sealing off the area above both tires with some flat stock aluminum, that way when it happens again, the tread can beat the aluminum to death and not the plastic wrap and insulation.
sfsgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 01:24 PM   #6
Ret E-9 Anchor-clanker

When something likes this happens it makes a person look around underneath to see what else could have happened. I hit a truck retread at night in my 5r, took out the electric stabilizer motor ($400). Wired it up and used it till the season was over. Now I've planned to cover in sheet metal in hopes to prevent it from happening again.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0905121325.jpg
Views:	307
Size:	342.4 KB
ID:	70141  
donanddona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 01:30 PM   #7

bsmall Recommend you replace the spare also. blew two 2 year old Tow Masters on same trip about 100 miles apart. Different sides and axles and did a lot of damage. I was near to factory so I got parts. They gave me a sheet of abs plastic about 1/8 thick that they used for restoring the wheel wells with the damaged plastic. I also used Strong Tie flat straps from Lowe's as replacement for some of the strap/gusset that support the skirt. These are strong that factory and cheap.
palmetto rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 03:45 PM   #8

Chinese Bombs

Beware of the Chinese BOMBs. The Tow Master (They are cheap )
tires are dangerous. Most trailers are overweight for them. Buy new tires to put on the trailers, before you have blowouts.

After having a blowout last year, we replaced all of the tires. Forest River does NOT care. The warranty on these tires is one year.

They are cheap tires.

Forest River needs to get smart and put decent tires on these trailers, but they are taking the cheap way out.

Save lives by replacing these BOMBs.
gtdmce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 04:07 PM   #9

So Tow Masters are Chinese, eh?

Here's my story about Chinese tires. I purchased a used Forest River Cardinal Little did I know it had Chinese tires on it. The first tire blew out about 10 miles from my house perhaps the second season I had it. I put on a spare and then found a place to purchase a tire (not easy as it was Sunday). We drove 300 miles. On the way back another one blew and the third one probably 40 miles later.

I drove into a Les Schwab tire store and replaced every one of them but kept the bad ones. Too late, out of warranty, although this particular tire had posts all over the internet about it.

Yes, Forest River SHOULD know by now that these tires delaminate. I was pretty surprised that they put them on $60k units.

I purchased another Cardinal about three years later and made sure it did not have Chinese tires on it.

Caveat Emptor. Forest River is not your friend when it comes to tires.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtdmce View Post
Beware of the Chinese BOMBs. The Tow Master (They are cheap )
tires are dangerous. Most trailers are overweight for them. Buy new tires to put on the trailers, before you have blowouts.

After having a blowout last year, we replaced all of the tires. Forest River does NOT care. The warranty on these tires is one year.

They are cheap tires.

Forest River needs to get smart and put decent tires on these trailers, but they are taking the cheap way out.

Save lives by replacing these BOMBs.
sfsgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 04:33 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by palmetto rogue View Post
bsmall Recommend you replace the spare also. blew two 2 year old Tow Masters on same trip about 100 miles apart. Different sides and axles and did a lot of damage. I was near to factory so I got parts. They gave me a sheet of abs plastic about 1/8 thick that they used for restoring the wheel wells with the damaged plastic. I also used Strong Tie flat straps from Lowe's as replacement for some of the strap/gusset that support the skirt. These are strong that factory and cheap.
1/8 inch flat plastic great day idea.

Bill
56 Gallon Titan Tank
Old 02-24-2015, 05:04 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by donanddona View Post
When something likes this happens it makes a person look around underneath to see what else could have happened. I hit a truck retread at night in my 5r, took out the electric stabilizer motor ($400). Wired it up and used it till the season was over. Now I've planned to cover in sheet metal in hopes to prevent it from happening again.
Welcome to the (Alligator Club) we joined on the way to the (1st Tucson Frog Rally) in 2012! Took out the motor & transmission! Youroo!!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	001 (5).jpg
Views:	258
Size:	433.0 KB
ID:	70172  
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 09:07 PM   #12

We recently purchased a Coachmen Catalina 243 RBS. The PDI went went smooth. Only 1-2 minor items to correct. However, after reading the FR forums, it appears the FR installs China Bomb tires on all units. If so, how do I identify a China Bomb tire, and what recourse do we have with the dealer or FR?

Ford 150 Eco Boost
2016 Coachmen Catalina 243 Banner Edition
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1425002768.958009.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	136.2 KB
ID:	70345  
Vallgrlx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 09:37 AM   #13
30+ year RV'er

Welcome to the blown tire club. Here are some quick personal opinions and recommendations. First, almost all trailer tires (designated by the "ST" before the size) are from Asia, usually China. That doesn't mean they are all the same quality. Good Year Marathon tires have a 6-year warranty, and are backed by its dealer network. Having said this, in my opinion the best way to attempt to avoid costly damage is to install an aftermarket tire pressure monitoring system, or TPMS. The one we use is the TST 507RV that we purchased online from Vulcan Tire for $229. It will show tire pressure and temperature, both of which should indicate a problem prior to failure (low pressure or high temp). Don't forget that if you add such an aftermarket system that the sensor adds weight at the valve stem (this model = about 0.9 ounces). So have your tires rebalanced, or add the equivalent weight opposite the valve. Hope this helps, and wishing all safe travels.
Hyseas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 09:49 AM   #14
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
Welcome to the (Alligator Club) we joined on the way to the (1st Tucson Frog Rally) in 2012! Took out the motor & transmission! Youroo!!
Turned out good for me. Thanks again Gary!
Old 03-03-2015, 08:32 AM   #15

Well I found my next tires I'm putting on my trailer when it comes time:
Brand:Michelin
Manufacturer's Part Number:26848
Part Type:Tires
Product Line:Michelin XPS Rib Tires
Summit Racing Part Number:MHL-26848
Tire Size:245/75-16
Wheel Diameter:16 in.
Sidewall Style:Blackwall
Tire Construction:Radial
Tire Diameter:30.60 in.
Section Width:9.60 in.
Minimum Recommended Wheel Width:6.50 in.
Maximum Recommended Wheel Width:8.00 in.
Directional:No
Speed Rating:Q
Load Range:120/116
Asymmetrical Tread Pattern:No
Tread Depth:14/32 in.
DOT-Approved:Yes
Tube Required:No
Max Load Single (lbs):3,042 lbs.

http://www.michelinman.com/tire-sele...b/tire-details

Bill
56 Gallon Titan Tank
Old 03-03-2015, 09:33 AM   #16
30+ year RV'er

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmall View Post
Well I found my next tires I'm putting on my trailer when it comes time:
Brand:Michelin
Manufacturer's Part Number:26848
Part Type:Tires
Product Line:Michelin XPS Rib Tires
Summit Racing Part Number:MHL-26848
Tire Size:245/75-16
Wheel Diameter:16 in.
Sidewall Style:Blackwall
Tire Construction:Radial
Tire Diameter:30.60 in.
Section Width:9.60 in.
Minimum Recommended Wheel Width:6.50 in.
Maximum Recommended Wheel Width:8.00 in.
Directional:No
Speed Rating:Q
Load Range:120/116
Asymmetrical Tread Pattern:No
Tread Depth:14/32 in.
DOT-Approved:Yes
Tube Required:No
Max Load Single (lbs):3,042 lbs.

XPS Rib | Michelin Tires
Looks like a nice tire. You will likely be replacing the rims as well, right? According to the info I found on the 2010 Wildcat 28RKBS, it comes with ST235/80R 16/D tires, with 65 PSI tire pressure. If this is correct, then there are likely two issues with those rims and the Michelin XPS Rib LT245/75R 16/E tire. First, the minimum rim width required for the LT245/75R 16/E tire is 6.5", and your existing rims are likely less than this width. Second, and most important, the rims are likely designed for "D" tires at 65 PSI, not "E" tires at 80 PSI. The rims should be marked on the inside (where it mates with the hub) with its maximum weight. Just FYI based on a lot of research and upgrading our 5th's tires (and rims).
Old 03-03-2015, 12:19 PM   #17

Costs of tires etc

Do we have a cost for these tires, or is an alternative a wireless tire monitoring system?
Vallgrlx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 12:28 PM   #18
30+ year RV'er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyseas View Post
Looks like a nice tire. You will likely be replacing the rims as well, right? According to the info I found on the 2010 Wildcat 28RKBS, it comes with ST235/80R 16/D tires, with 65 PSI tire pressure. If this is correct, then there are likely two issues with those rims and the Michelin XPS Rib LT245/75R 16/E tire. First, the minimum rim width required for the LT245/75R 16/E tire is 6.5", and your existing rims are likely less than this width. Second, and most important, the rims are likely designed for "D" tires at 65 PSI, not "E" tires at 80 PSI. The rims should be marked on the inside (where it mates with the hub) with its maximum weight. Just FYI based on a lot of research and upgrading our 5th's tires (and rims).
Actually three issues. Don't forget that rubber valve stems have a maximum air pressure rating (or they can blow out of the rim). Typically rubber valve stems have a maximum pressure limit of 65 PSI. Therefore 80 PSI valve stems (or greater) are typically screw mount metal types.
Old 03-03-2015, 03:31 PM   #19
30+ year RV'er

"ST" tire load capacity

So in summary, how does one determine the correct "ST" tire?

First, look at the axle weight rating on the RV placard. Let's say each axle is rated for 6,000 lbs. That's 3,000 lbs. per tire. If you research "ST" tires, you'll find that their load rating is a static measure - not like "LT" and "P" tires that take into account other dynamic forces (steering, power, traction, etc.). So the rule of thumb is to take the maximum static load and increase it by approximately 15% (or an increase of one load rating) for an "ST" tire. So for a 6,000 lbs. axle, at 3,000 lbs. per wheel, it should have an "ST" tire rated at 3,000 + 15%, or a rating of 3,450 lbs. An ST235/80R 16/D tire is rated at 3,000 lbs - that's not enough to carry a 3,000 lbs. live (dynamic) load without the risk of failure. The appropriate "ST" tire would require a ST235/80R 16/E rated tire, with a load rating of 3,420 lbs. Note it's the same size tire, but an increased load rating from "D" to "E".

I would like to think this helps to explain why there are as many "ST" tire failures - not only because of "cheap" tires, but because the industry has placed tires that are at, or past their dynamic load limits. Also it is interesting to note that the new 2015 Wildcats come with "E" rated "ST" tires that are one load level higher than the actual rated axle weight. However, for older units, none of this changes the need to insure that the rims and valve stems are rated for the increased load rating, should one decide to move to a higher load rated tire.
Old 03-03-2015, 07:36 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyseas View Post
My 2010 Wildcat came with ST 235/80R-16 rated at 3500lbs @ 80psi E tires with wide mag style rims which should fill all the requirements for the Michelin Tires. I will have the rim width checked and confirmed prior to buying these tires.

But glad you brought it up for those who's rims won't work with these tires.

Bill
56 Gallon Titan Tank

Tags
tire