Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-03-2013, 06:04 AM   #1

New Guy with a few questions if I may?

Just closed a deal on a new 2013 Wildcat 353LS via the internet. Which means I haven't actually had the opportunity to touch it and look things over in detail since it currently is almost 1,200 miles to the north.

So if maybe you all could share a little knowledge with me I would greatly appreciate the assistance.

1. Is the roof rated to be walked on? Not talking about having a party up there, just want to know If I get the nerve to climb up the ladder I won't fall through.

2. The 5th wheel has the 50amp service and 2nd a/c prep package on it. Is this second a/c location for a ducted unit or a non ducted a/c unit.

3. Will the 50amp service allow for 2 15K a/c units to be connected or only 1 each 15K and 13.5K systems?

4. The fireplace is under the entertainment center on a slide out and has the faux stone face around the fireplace. Does anyone know how difficult it would be to remove the faux stone surround? The wife would prefer it finished as is the entertainment center.

5. Do all the slide out extend and retract at the same time or can they be done individually? I didn't even know that some RVs did them at the same time, this was something new to me.

I'm sure there will be more questions to come, but I would sure appreciate any feedback you can share on what I have posted.

Here is the Wildcat we purchased.
2013 WILDCAT 353LS REAR LIVING 2 BATH 3 SLIDE 1 LEFT W/ DISOUNT DISCONTINUED 5W in RVs & Campers | eBay Motors
jonrjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 06:36 AM   #2
jdadoug

Roof

If it has a ladder the roof is meant to be walked on. I try to limit the amount of time on my roof. You also have to go up there to "maintain" your roof.......... (check seals, and seams)

As far as your other questions, I cant give you any information, but others will be getting up soon and answer them for you
Lots of knowledge here, stay tuned!
jdadoug

OBT, Welcome! and enjoy your new camper! Great looking unit!!!!
Old 10-03-2013, 07:14 AM   #3

Thank you for the early morning "Welcome" and assistance.
Old 10-03-2013, 07:31 AM   #4

Even if it doesn't come with a ladder, it doesn't NECESSARILY mean that the roof cannot be walked on. My friend had a Bigfoot that came without a ladder but it had the support structure under the skin for attaching a ladder, which he did after getting an overlay to show him where the supports were. Talk about measuring 10 times and drilling once..... But if it doesn't come with a ladder, you'd want to check with the factory to be sure the roof is okay to walk on.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 07:38 AM   #5

Thank you, this one does have the rear ladder already in place. Now, I have to figure out how to get an extra air conditioner unit up the ladder....LOL!!!
Old 10-03-2013, 07:52 AM   #6

I don't have a wildcat so I can't afar them all, but 50 amp service would allow for up to 4 15K btu AC's if a person really wanted. I added a second 15k to my Sabre. To get three unit up there, I used a bobcat and lifted the unit the other couple feet myself. Then got on the roof and gently picked it up and adjusted it over the opening. One thing, if you ordered from a dealer, it may be easier to have them install the second unit. I saved $150 by doing it myself, but wished I would've just had it done. In my Sabre, the ducting is setup to access grin the front bedroom vent area where the 2nd AC goes. So it can be ducted or just direct blow down.

Congrats by the way!
Happy Campin!!
jtstromsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 07:59 AM   #7

All of your questions will be answered when you do the walk through. Write down All of the possible questions that you may have. get all of the written material that you can for every aspect of the unit.

Take your time in the walk through and work everything as many times as it takes until you are comfortable with it. check every Key with every lock and buy an extra set if Blanks from the Dealer and have another set made later.

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 10:37 AM   #8

Whenever times come for pick up please take a PDI list with you. A very good one to be found in the download section of this forum. And it is highly recommended to spend the first night)s) at a campground close to the dealer. You do not want to find out issues to be fixed by the dealer after having driven home 1200 miles.
Flying dutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 08:45 PM   #9

Well I did find out that this model has an electric slide on the master bedroom and the two opposing slide in the living dinette and entertainment kitchen are hydraulic powered and open at the same time unless you manually reset the flow.
Old 10-04-2013, 02:07 AM   #10
Site Team

where do you live that you couldn't find one closer than 1200 miles, to at least look at?
hard to believe that a closer Wildcat dealer didn't have a 353LS in stock for you to look at, even if you didn't buy from them.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 07:25 AM   #11

I had come across the floor plan on an Ebay auction. Ebay can do bad things to a man.

We had been looking at the Sandpiper 355RE or some such animal that actually had a bathroom slide out making for one huge bathroom (wife liked that a lot due to size). Best price found on the SP was around $44K.

When we saw the floor plan for the WC with a full front end bath plus a half bath on the main floor we though great, perfect if we have guest for grandkids visit or tag a long.

Down side to this floor plan is that it was limited production run that started in 2012 and canceled in early 2013. I haven't even been able to located in any of the Wildcat books where this plan made print production other than as an extra print sheet.

So I searched long and hard then located one 90 miles away so we took a drive and looked it over real well and wasn't overly impressed with this individual unit do to some quality control issues. Wasn't overly impressed with the dealership and the their best price was $40K.

I then researched Wildcat products and to be honest what I read scared me away. But, I couldn't get this plan out of my mind. We kept looking at various manufactures and came close to going with a Rushmore Lincoln. It had an MSRP of $85K but could pick it up for a cool $52K, so the research on that began hot hard and heavy. Bottom line it made the worst Wildcat problems look minor in the over all scope of things.

I then was back to Ebay and came across the Wildcat 353LS relisted and the price had come down to $31K. So the question was, is it worth the 1,200 mile one way drive to save $9,000 over the unit 90 miles down the road which turns out to have sold already. I figure my expenses right at $1,500 to go pick it up and camp along the route returning home. And if really feel the need to make myself feel good I can always say it was a savings of over $22,000 based on the Rushmore.
Old 10-08-2013, 06:28 PM   #12
JAYCO Representative

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonrjen View Post
Just closed a deal on a new 2013 Wildcat 353LS via the internet. Which means I haven't actually had the opportunity to touch it and look things over in detail since it currently is almost 1,200 miles to the north.

So if maybe you all could share a little knowledge with me I would greatly appreciate the assistance.
1. Is the roof rated to be walked on? Not talking about having a party up there, just want to know If I get the nerve to climb up the ladder I won't fall through.
All Wildcats feature full walk-on roofs! Including slide rooms!

2. The 5th wheel has the 50amp service and 2nd a/c prep package on it. Is this second a/c location for a ducted unit or a non ducted a/c unit.
The 2nd AC prep in this specific floorplan is likely ducted with a single duct. New Wildcats feature dual ducting.

3. Will the 50amp service allow for 2 15K a/c units to be connected or only 1 each 15K and 13.5K systems?
50 amp service would allow for two 15k A/C units. New Wildcats can be ordered with a low profile 2nd A/C unit.

4. The fireplace is under the entertainment center on a slide out and has the faux stone face around the fireplace. Does anyone know how difficult it would be to remove the faux stone surround? The wife would prefer it finished as is the entertainment center.
The faux stone fireplace surround is able to be removed, but I uncertain if its affixed only with pin nails or also uses adhesive.

5. Do all the slide out extend and retract at the same time or can they be done individually? I didn't even know that some RVs did them at the same time, this was something new to me.
The main floor slides of this floor plan are hydraulic and extend on the same switch. The bedroom slide is electric and has its own switch.

Hope this helps you!
Wildcat Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 06:57 PM   #13
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonrjen View Post
Thank you, this one does have the rear ladder already in place. Now, I have to figure out how to get an extra air conditioner unit up the ladder....LOL!!!
There was a post a few months back where someone built a sled of sorts and pulled the A/C up a ladder leaned against the roof.