Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-27-2020, 01:50 PM   #1

nuisance with birds nests

I hate to even have a thread like this but figured I would mention it. My slide topper that I have on my slides attract birds to nest in it. I took it apart and cleaned the nests out last week and saw birds going back in there again.
Anyone have this issue before that might have an idea on how to remedy it?
Also any easy way to clean the nests out of the topper covers?

Thanks
Mike

Juniorz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 03:25 PM   #2

Temporarily stuff a piece of stainless steel wool into that small hole. You don't want to stuff it too deep because you want to get it out again. Once a bird decides to build a nest in an area it's almost impossible to discourage them.

Have you opened up the slide to make certain they haven't already built a nest?
Old 05-27-2020, 04:25 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverse_snowbird View Post
Temporarily stuff a piece of stainless steel wool into that small hole. You don't want to stuff it too deep because you want to get it out again. Once a bird decides to build a nest in an area it's almost impossible to discourage them.

Have you opened up the slide to make certain they haven't already built a nest?
yes I took it apart to clean out the nest as the awning would not retract as it was packed full. I will try some steel wool balls in each side.
What a pain to clean that out, not easy with the metal housing.

thanks for the tip
Juniorz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 04:44 PM   #4

If you get any breeze at all, try cutting this stuff into 12 inch or so long strips and using masking tape, fasten to roof area and let hang down. The sparkle of the ribbon in the breeze will keep the birds from getting real close to the tape. Cheap and usually effective... except for pigeons...
Attached Images

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 01:12 PM   #5

we have the same problem and have tried everything from reflective tape pool noodles they will peck them to shreds they will not do it whith slides out and usassly only in the spring when nesting so have learned to just live with it until i come up with some other idea and try that
good luck
ps i would try copper wool as not to rust

Stop worrying about the potholes in the road and enjoy the journey
muddyrode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 02:28 PM   #6

We had woodpeckers pecking on the eaves our house at sunrise every morning. Read on online to hang CDs from the eaves. Seems to have worked. We used fishing line. Don’t know if it would work in your situation or you would have a place to hang them from, but if so, worth a try.
Old 05-28-2020, 02:44 PM   #7
Pickin', Campin', Mason

I've dealt with this on our last 4 R/V's with slide toppers.

Nothing has worked as a deterrent.

Luckily, mine is parked next to my garage and I simply watch them often give them a squirt with a garden hose when they start building a nest.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 02:58 PM   #8

[QUOTE=Juniorz;2333006]I hate to even have a thread like this but figured I would mention it. My slide topper that I have on my slides attract birds to nest in it. I took it apart and cleaned the nests out last week and saw birds going back in there again.
Anyone have this issue before that might have an idea on how to remedy it?
Also any easy way to clean the nests out of the topper covers?

Thanks
Mike

How about a few moth balls.
How about repel packs that we use to repel rodents. Works great on mice in our TT.
Pick it up at Ace Hardware. See below

I would think anything that does now smell normal to them would keep them away.

https://www.acehardware.com/departme...B&gclsrc=aw.ds
campers302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 04:14 PM   #9

I had the same problem with birds nesting in our Sun Setter awning that had an aluminum cover to protect it when closed. I tried every thing possible, from bird spikes to plastic owls to no avail. I finally came across this product online. It is called Bird-X 54-1 Bird Proof Repellent Gel. You can purchase it on Amazon. It is a very sticky clear jell. I ran a bead along the inside of the awning cover and that was the end of my nesting bird problem. It comes in a caulking tube. You will only need to use a small dab across the opening where they are getting in. Wear rubber gloves, it is very sticky. This stuff goes a long way. One tube put down a bead the length of the awning, which is 18' long. I left it on the awing for a few years, after which I cleaned it off with denatured alcohol. The birds never came back. Good luck.
spaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 01:37 PM   #10

Bird nests

Just cut small holes in very small plastic bag, put a few moth balls in an stuff in hole.
Bingo, birds don’t like the smell.
Done it many times and shared with friends.
Garnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 09:15 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdata View Post
If you get any breeze at all, try cutting this stuff into 12 inch or so long strips and using masking tape, fasten to roof area and let hang down. The sparkle of the ribbon in the breeze will keep the birds from getting real close to the tape. Cheap and usually effective... except for pigeons...
X2 Had the same problem with Robins. This stuff did the trick.