Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-11-2016, 03:53 PM   #1

Pre wired for solar???

Good day RVs I have a 2016 Wildcat Max 26FBS a cut out diagram on the wall beside the TV says prewired for solar by Forsol.com. Was wondering what kind of wiring was behind the panel(with out cutting a hole in it) where it might go to and from.The unit has a solar hookup connection on the roof. Checked on the net with Fosol.com no help.

Thanks Ken
junket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 05:56 PM   #2

No idea to give you an accurate answer but my experience is that pre-wired solar is not something I'd consider using for a decent system.

In my opinion, pre-wired is only good for using the wiring holes and runs to install better wiring with lower voltage losses.

I'd personally start from scratch and do a solar install correctly. These pre-wired for solar systems are not to be taken seriously.

Solar is not cheap but doing it yourself will easily save you 40-50% in total costs and ensure it is done correctly.
Skyliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 01:35 PM   #3
Factory Representative

Good morning and thanks for the question about your Wildcat Maxx. Inside the wall you will find wires to connect a monitor panel for whatever solar system you decide to purchase. These wires lead directly to the roof where you will find a universal solar mount that you can plug panels into. Part of our wiring also includes a 10 gauge wire that will lead to the battery terminal.
Hopefully this helps answer your questions.
Thanks,
Wildcat Steve
Wildcat Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 11:42 AM   #4

Thanks Steve wont to get started on a system before the Feb.trip to Arizona. Great to see a factory Rep. on the net for some answers Thanks again.
Ken
Old 10-18-2016, 12:19 PM   #5
Factory Representative

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2122.jpg
Views:	1055
Size:	158.6 KB
ID:	123333

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2123.jpg
Views:	1014
Size:	501.0 KB
ID:	123334

Happy to help! I have included a few images of what the solar prep looks like. One is the rooftop mounts for the solar panels. The other is the wires behind the wall panel. The wires with the tape are the hot leads for the monitor panel.
Old 12-24-2016, 06:14 PM   #6

Wired for solar on 28RKX

There is a sticker on the wall near the bedroom that says wired for solar. Is that the wall the wires are behind?
Evergreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 06:23 PM   #7
Factory Representative

You are correct. Behind that sticker you can cut the wall panel and connect to the wires, then install the monitor panel over the hole.
Thanks,
WildcatSteve
Old 12-30-2016, 08:04 PM   #8

Steve,

Behind that sticker the are purple wires that go to the bathroom light switch and white wires that are connected together. There are ho red and white wires or wire with tape on them. See the photos below. I do have the solar entry plate on the roof of the RV (28RKX).

Thanks.

Name:   ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1483146023.653478.jpg
Views: 3869
Size:  92.9 KB

Name:   ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1483146041.305789.jpg
Views: 3807
Size:  80.4 KB
Old 01-09-2017, 09:31 PM   #9

So that board in the photo where you can see the cables for the light switch come through isn't the top of the wall and the solar cables are above it.
Old 01-13-2017, 05:39 PM   #10
sparky

I have the same trailer the red and white wires should have been right behind the sticker
ravn53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 05:51 PM   #11

Got it installed. Thanks everyone.

Now where to place the inverter, batteries, etc.
Old 01-14-2017, 01:50 PM   #12

On mine put my charge control in the compartment just behind the tongue batteries run the wire for the digital meter on the tv cabinet wall where the taped solar wires are. I cut the 1/8" plywood sticker panel out and mounted my 900W inverter there powered it with the two hot wires from the battery,The only thing I run off the inverter at this time is the TV & satellite box charger for computer and cell phone.
Ken
Old 06-04-2017, 12:03 PM   #13

My 2017 silvercreek is supposed to be wired for solar panels is it ok to use the same wires or tie a larger gage of wire to them an pull it through and take the factory wire out.
Gritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 01:11 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gritz View Post
My 2017 silvercreek is supposed to be wired for solar panels is it ok to use the same wires or tie a larger gage of wire to them an pull it through and take the factory wire out.

I doubt you would be able to use the factory wiring as a pull through.
( depending on location. )
Too many twists and turns.. the may actually tie the wires up somewhere.
Old 06-04-2017, 06:44 PM   #15

Our Wildcat is wired for solar also, but we do not have a sticker on the wall anywhere. I know we have it as it is on the build sheet, and I have seen the connectors on the roof.

https://www.forestriverforums.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic98816_1.gif
SeventyGTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 09:37 AM   #16
Factory Representative

The wires on your F262RGX should be on the bathroom/hallway wall on your left as you approach the door to the bedroom. The wires should be around shoulder high.
Old 06-05-2017, 09:43 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat Steve View Post
The wires on your F262RGX should be on the bathroom/hallway wall on your left as you approach the door to the bedroom. The wires should be around shoulder high.
Thanks for the reply Steve! So, just cut a hole anywhere in the wall in a general area? Shoulder high is kind of vague, considering some are 5'2' and others are 6'2". I would really hate to cut a hole in the wall in the wrong spot.

Old 06-05-2017, 09:46 AM   #18
Factory Representative

Should be about 5' to 5'5" about dead center of the wall. You should see the wires in-between the studs of the wall. Only cut the hole large enough so your monitor panel will cover up the hole you cut.
Old 06-05-2017, 09:48 AM   #19
Factory Representative

The best thing to do would be to contact the Cedar Creek division of Forest River to see what they recommend. Each division of Forest River operates separately and tends to do things just a little different. I would hate to give you the wrong advice on their product.
Thanks,
Wildcat Steve
Old 06-05-2017, 09:58 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat Steve View Post
The best thing to do would be to contact the Cedar Creek division of Forest River to see what they recommend. Each division of Forest River operates separately and tends to do things just a little different. I would hate to give you the wrong advice on their product.
Thanks,
Wildcat Steve
Actually, ours is a Wildcat I believe built in Oregon as it was bought new in Bend, Or., so I will contact them. Thank again for the quick reply.

Tags
solar