Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-25-2022, 02:49 PM   #21
Part-Time Campground Host

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
As I said earlier, I only keep one tank on service (valve open). The regulator arrow points to that tank. When it runs empty, I move the lever on the regulator to the other tank and open its valve. it is now the primary tank. I take the empty tank, refill it, attach it to the regulator. It is now the backup tank.
X2. My method exactly, but with the Mopeka system I can see when the tank is almost empty.
Equalizer Hitch w/4-Point Sway Control

Days camped since 2015(retirement): 1659
cboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2022, 03:07 PM   #22
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
As I said earlier, I only keep one tank on service (valve open). The regulator arrow points to that tank. When it runs empty, I move the lever on the regulator to the other tank and open its valve. it is now the primary tank. I take the empty tank, refill it, attach it to the regulator. It is now the backup tank.

I think auto-changeover had more of a useful place when pilot lights needed to stay lit. If it could changeover with enough pressure left and quickly enough to keep the pilots lit, that would definitely be easier than having to relight pilot lights. Now that DSI is standard, I just don't see it as being all that useful, especially with the extra effort required to routinely check for the red flag if you have covered propane tanks and the regulator is under the cover.
Duly noted.
Having that tank run out and having to manually switch it (and enevitably at the most inopportune time) is a chance I'm not taking when I don't need to.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=86
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2022, 05:52 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russellvh View Post
2022 F.R.Wildcat 5th wheel.

Is there a way to test that the automatic propane “switchover” is working properly? We have the type that, supposedly, we turn on both tanks, watch the gauge on the tank, when it turns red switch to the other tank and get the first one filled.

We picked up the 5er in March, presumably with 2 full tanks. A couple of short trips and full time since May. Still on the original tank. Now that temperatures are dropping I don’t want to get stuck finding out if everything is working properly. Don’t want to wake up some cold morning with both tanks empty.

Thanks.
Propane: Being temperature dependent, propane becomes more dense as temperature falls and expands as temperature increases. A standard add-on gauge will be off during winter months. They do have some that have lines for winter months. Just look on amazon.

We never use the auto-switch on the rv, dont trust it, never good idea to have more than 1 tank open at a time. be safe.
jimspencer741 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2022, 08:51 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimspencer741 View Post

... We never use the auto-switch on the rv, dont trust it, never good idea to have more than 1 tank open at a time. be safe.
Many of us will disagree that it is "never a good idea" as we always have both tanks open and actually use the auto-switchover as designed. Never had one fail in 40 years. If one did fail to switch, it would only do it once and then it would be replaced.
I have a good idea when one tank should be close to being empty, so I just start checking the indicator more often. When I see the red indicator I know the tank is completely empty and we are running off the other tank with no interruptions. Easy.
But I do laugh at my buddy, who only opens one tank at a time, every time I hear him get up in the wee hours when his wife is freezing and telling him to fix it
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2022, 08:23 AM   #25

We also only have one tank opened at a time. This way we always know we have a full tank.
Also we never have use the Rv heater while sleeping only electric heaters. The LP heat is used while awake, I had a few of those late night early morning tank switchover in the past and it was not fun[emoji23].
Old 12-10-2022, 08:43 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
Many of us will disagree that it is "never a good idea" as we always have both tanks open and actually use the auto-switchover as designed. Never had one fail in 40 years. If one did fail to switch, it would only do it once and then it would be replaced.
I have a good idea when one tank should be close to being empty, so I just start checking the indicator more often. When I see the red indicator I know the tank is completely empty and we are running off the other tank with no interruptions. Easy.
But I do laugh at my buddy, who only opens one tank at a time, every time I hear him get up in the wee hours when his wife is freezing and telling him to fix it

Cons to those auto switchers:

Risk of a gas leak

Good ones can be costly to buy

You could forget about your tanks, meaning when this happens both run out and you'll have to make a propane run asap

Check value and other parts may break or malfunction

Can be costly to repair

On our 2017 FR Wildcat 38MBX the propane selector is NOT an auto-switcher, BUT our 21 Winnebago TT had an auto-switcher and it did not work properly after the 1st try and after talking to other rv-ers in person at the campground (who had similar issues) we decided not to use it on auto.
Old 12-10-2022, 09:12 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimspencer741 View Post
Cons to those auto switchers:

Risk of a gas leak

Good ones can be costly to buy

You could forget about your tanks, meaning when this happens both run out and you'll have to make a propane run asap

Check value and other parts may break or malfunction

Can be costly to repair

On our 2017 FR Wildcat 38MBX the propane selector is NOT an auto-switcher, BUT our 21 Winnebago TT had an auto-switcher and it did not work properly after the 1st try and after talking to other rv-ers in person at the campground (who had similar issues) we decided not to use it on auto.
There are many things that could happen, regardless of how improbable, and you can base your decisions on them if you like.
Auto switchover regulators are not expensive, or hard to replace. Most I have replaced are around $65 and takes less than an hour for an amateur. So if one doesn't work, fix it!
Forget about my propane tanks? Reminds me of my Grandpa's favorite saying, "Ya have to be smarter than what you are playing with".
Both methods of managing your propane bottles are effective, and both have good and bad points. I chose to not run out of propane at an inopportune moment, so I use my auto switchover as designed. Which means I have to check the indicator occasionally.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2022, 11:15 AM   #28
Site Team

I just started a new thread with a poll to see who does or does not use the auto changeover valve as intended. Hopefully ya will participate, You can find that thread at this link:

https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...ml#post2808094

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2022, 10:34 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
There are many things that could happen, regardless of how improbable, and you can base your decisions on them if you like.
Auto switchover regulators are not expensive, or hard to replace. Most I have replaced are around $65 and takes less than an hour for an amateur. So if one doesn't work, fix it!
Forget about my propane tanks? Reminds me of my Grandpa's favorite saying, "Ya have to be smarter than what you are playing with".
Both methods of managing your propane bottles are effective, and both have good and bad points. I chose to not run out of propane at an inopportune moment, so I use my auto switchover as designed. Which means I have to check the indicator occasionally.
Price depends on where you get it like in a physical store or online (if you can wait for it) E-Trailer is like $80 just checked. CampingWorld is around $72 - and these prices are without tax. Good ones do cost more.

When pushing around $100 that can be spendy for a part.

Since I know a pretty darn ideal how long my tanks last - full-time rv-er here - my two 100lb tanks last 7-8 days each during colder temps like mid 20-40 outside. The 7th day I check level and if I want I'll change the tank over to the next filled one so we don't run out in the middle of the night. Most of the time, we used both 100lb tanks 1st, have two 30lbs tanks on standby to use if we need it before we get the two 100lb tanks refilled.

Tags
propane, tank