Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-04-2022, 12:54 PM   #1

Propane usage

2022 FR Wildcat 5th wheel.

Only camping used in the past with multiple propane tanks was in pop up. I used one tank until it stopped then closed valve and opened valve on other can. Then filled empty tank within next couple of days.

New trailer has two tanks. On one tank there is a gauge showing red and green. Plus a lever on top. From what I understood, I am supposed to open both tanks. Then I check the gauge each day or so. When needed the tanks will automatically switch and the gauge will turn red. Then I rotate the lever and refil the previously used tank.

Have I got this right or all confused?
Russellvh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 02:35 PM   #2
New here, old elsewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russellvh View Post

Only camping used in the past with multiple propane tanks was in pop up. I used one tank until it stopped then closed valve and opened valve on other can. Then filled empty tank within next couple of days.

New trailer has two tanks. On one tank there is a gauge showing red and green. Plus a lever on top. From what I understood, I am supposed to open both tanks. Then I check the gauge each day or so. When needed the tanks will automatically switch and the gauge will turn red. Then I rotate the lever and refil the previously used tank.

You got it!
Old 05-04-2022, 03:04 PM   #3
Pickin', Campin', Mason

You got it.

Just remember, once the indicator turns red and you've flipped the lever, (turning the indicator back to green) DON'T FORGET to get the empty tank filled or the next time it turns red you will be totally out!

Many folks leave the lever alone until they fill the empty tank as a quick visual reminder one tank is empty.

The only caveat is 'some' regulators do not full flow in the auto-changeover position until the lever is flipped.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 11:14 PM   #4

Thanks for the help.
Old 05-04-2022, 11:20 PM   #5

One other caveat is that usually when the indicator is red, and the regulator is operating from the standby tank, there is a normally a lowered flow capacity. So, you might not have enough flow capacity to run the water heater, propane refrigerator, furnace, and stove/oven at the same time. It is probably about 99% chance not likely to be a real problem - but it does usually reduce flow capacity.
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 04:18 AM   #6
Defender of America

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
One other caveat is that usually when the indicator is red, and the regulator is operating from the standby tank, there is a normally a lowered flow capacity. So, you might not have enough flow capacity to run the water heater, propane refrigerator, furnace, and stove/oven at the same time. It is probably about 99% chance not likely to be a real problem - but it does usually reduce flow capacity.
This is something I wouldn't have thought of. Not disputing it ;but, how did you find this out? Must have been a cold day boondocking for all the appliances to be on propane. Do you have a flow meter on both tanks? How much does it reduce flow on the second tank? I assume there is a hierarchy of appliances for propane demand? Which one stops working first?
You've definitely peaked my interest in this science project!
Centerline TS WDH
Nick Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 04:43 AM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russellvh View Post

Here is a FAQ we keep on the propane cylinder automatic changeover

https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...d.php?t=146655

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 05:43 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Danger View Post
This is something I wouldn't have thought of. Not disputing it ;but, how did you find this out? Must have been a cold day boondocking for all the appliances to be on propane. Do you have a flow meter on both tanks? How much does it reduce flow on the second tank? I assume there is a hierarchy of appliances for propane demand? Which one stops working first?
I just read the specification sheet for a propane regulator I was considering buying. I don't remember which one now. It had a lower BTU rating when it was in standby operation. Like I stated, there is 99% chance it will not have a noticeable affect.
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 08:07 AM   #9

Great info. Thanks to this Forum I think I am starting to get a hang on a lot of areas I felt lost in. We close on the house on the 11th. By May 24th we will be full timers.
Old 05-05-2022, 11:48 AM   #10

are you sure it is auto changeover? Mine has the lever on top and it must be changed manually.

And why does it always run out at 3:00 AM in the winter?
nayther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 01:00 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by nayther View Post
are you sure it is auto changeover? Mine has the lever on top and it must be changed manually.

And why does it always run out at 3:00 AM in the winter?
Haven't seen any manual switch over regulators in years. Even my first popup with dual tanks had an auto. Do yourself a favor and replace your manual one with an auto Not that expensive and easy to do.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 07:52 PM   #12
New here, old elsewhere

Quote:
Not sure why, but every manufacture I've seen in the last 15 years says it's reduced.
Old 05-06-2022, 04:52 AM   #13
Defender of America

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
I just read the specification sheet for a propane regulator I was considering buying. I don't remember which one now. It had a lower BTU rating when it was in standby operation. Like I stated, there is 99% chance it will not have a noticeable affect.
I must not understand the term "standby". If the 2nd tank is waiting for the first tank to empty, there shouldn't be any flow from the second tank. When it switches over when the first tank is on empty; there's no flow from the first tank. Both are using all the same lines and no where do I see a "restricter".

As far as reading manufacturer data for the past 15 years (per second responders comment); please provide a specific link and I'll read it. Can't find any literature that states flow is "reduced" based on order of use. I have found that particular makes and models of equipment have different rates but not when you use 2 identical units on the same pipe system.

Again not calling anyone out. Just trying to learn the details. FYI I have a degree in Civil Engineering (not a plumber or pipe fitter) so I understand the concepts of flow and pressure. And I realize that no one needs to "school" me.
Centerline TS WDH
Old 05-06-2022, 07:43 AM   #14

Quote:
I must not understand the term "standby". If the 2nd tank is waiting for the first tank to empty, there shouldn't be any flow from the second tank. When it switches over when the first tank is on empty; there's no flow from the first tank. Both are using all the same lines and no where do I see a "restricter".

As far as reading manufacturer data for the past 15 years (per second responders comment); please provide a specific link and I'll read it. Can't find any literature that states flow is "reduced" based on order of use. I have found that particular makes and models of equipment have different rates but not when you use 2 identical units on the same pipe system.

Again not calling anyone out. Just trying to learn the details. FYI I have a degree in Civil Engineering (not a plumber or pipe fitter) so I understand the concepts of flow and pressure. And I realize that no one needs to "school" me.
You are making this way too hard.
Don't think anybody said anything about a regulator drawing propane from both tanks simultaneously.
Some auto changeover regulators have different btu rates for the primary tank (the one the lever is pointed to) than for when using the secondary or standby tank (the one the lever is not pointing to). So when the primary tank is empty, the indicator is red, the regulator switches over to the secondary tank with a reduced flow. Full flow is returned when the lever is moved and pointed to the full tank, now making it the primary tank.
Here is one such regulator that indicated different btu rates (see product description details): https://www.camco.net/propane-double...aus-clam-59005
Other regulators do not seem to limit flow when the auto switch occurs. The one I purchased last time I replaced mine does not mention different btu rates.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 11:56 AM   #15
New here, old elsewhere

Quote:

I'll provide one example, you can use google for others if you wish. You won't find this info in most of the sale sites, just the manufactures specs.

Propane Double-Stage Auto-Changeover Regulator - cCSAus,Clam

Item #: 59005
The Camco Propane Double-Stage Auto-Changeover Regulator is for RVs with dual propane tank hookups. It maintains a constant gas pressure and automatically changes from the empty tank to the full one. It allows for the removal of the empty cylinder for refill without interrupting the propane supply. The inlet is a 1/4" SAE inverted flare and the outlet is a 3/8" NPT female.
  • Allows removal of empty cylinder for refill without interrupting propane supply
  • Inlets are 1/4" SAE inverted flare and outlet is 3/8" NPT female pipe thread
  • For RVs with dual propane tanks. Automatically switches from primary to reserve tank when primary is empty
  • Primary cylinder 210,000 BTU/hr capacity; Reserve cylinder 130,000 BTU/hr
  • Double stage design maintains constant gas pressure under changing demand and conditions
Old 05-06-2022, 04:49 PM   #16
Defender of America

Thanks NMWildcat & lwbfl

Thank you both for helping me out to understand the concepts. And yes, I appeared to be making this harder than it really was. I'm better now
Centerline TS WDH

Tags
propane