Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-15-2019, 08:15 PM   #1

Rear stabilizer jacks on 2019 Wildcat Maxx 262RGX

Our rear stabilizer jacks when fully retracted set low and we have had several people stop us that our jacks are out. Has Anyone experienced a flat or blowout as with them sitting that low I am afraid of them being ripped off. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0003.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	515.8 KB
ID:	210003
hambonz57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 07:56 AM   #2

I don't have the electric jacks like that but when I had a blowout the tire shredded and the rim was about two inches from the ground. but in my opinion those do look low is there any room above them to move them up a few inches?

2001 Ford F-350 DRW 7.3
2011 25 RL Wildcat
former fiver 1976 Fourwinds had for 35 years
onetonford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 08:26 AM   #3

We have the hydraulic version levelers. Actually lowered our rear jacks, but they are still not as low as yours are to the ground. Like previously mentioned, you have lots of adjustment with mounting bolts/holes, so you can raise them on their mounts as long as you have room above. But as long as you aren't dragging them, I wouldn't worry about it. The odds of both tires on the same side failing at the same time are low, so your jack shouldn't hit the ground with one flat.
We had one trip with three tire failures. $8k worth of damage to hydraulic lines, steps, skirting, awning, entry and compartment doors, plumbing, etc. The jacks came out fine. BUT, our jacks are a little farther from the tire, and only received a glancing blow.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 07:26 AM   #4

Thanks for the feedback. I do see extra holes to move the jacks up which is my next step.
Old 07-19-2019, 08:54 AM   #5

Rear stabilizer jacks on 2019 Wildcat Maxx 262RGX

This is the guidance I used from the install manual when installing mine.
https://lci-support-doc.s3.amazonaws...cd_0001498.pdf

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1382.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	154.1 KB
ID:	210268
2011 Starcraft 392BHUw/Andersen No-Sway

chaps2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 09:56 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by hambonz57 View Post
Thanks for the feedback. I do see extra holes to move the jacks up which is my next step.

Yes, they can be raised quite a bit, about 3 holes on ours. I could not back in our driveway with the way they were, totally stupid. I tried to order the trailer without them for that reason but could not delete them. I was ready to remove them if I had to it was that serious. Here I was with a brand spanking new trailer, in the street, with a cordless impact and wrenches before I could even park it! Only problem is you'll need some blocks under them at times to get the trailer level.

My process is to level side/side via blocks under the wheels, at least get it close, then put appropriate blocks (legos will work) under the jacks and push the auto level button.
nayther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 10:08 AM   #7
Pickin', Campin', Mason

The ground clearance between the ground and those jacks/levelers doesn't change much as you go down the road being they are that close to the axle.

As mentioned by NMWildcat, as long as you don't have clearance issues (dragging them on uneven surfaces) I wouldn't care what others think about their height.

You are just going to have to give it some time and see how things work out in YOUR case.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 11:36 AM   #8

Thanks for the instructions as it will help
Old 07-19-2019, 12:15 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by nayther View Post
My process is to level side/side via blocks under the wheels, at least get it close, then put appropriate blocks (legos will work) under the jacks and push the auto level button.
If you "pre-level" with boards before you auto level, you are defeating one of the main benefits of the system, the ease and simplicity of auto leveling!
We boondock in the backwoods mainly, some very unlevel spots. We have camped for a month with 5" of lynx blocks under the jacks on one side, with the tires on that side off the ground.
System works great. Let it do it
After you use it a bit, you will just know how many blocks under the low side jacks you will need.
Old 07-22-2019, 01:21 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
If you "pre-level" with boards before you auto level, you are defeating one of the main benefits of the system, the ease and simplicity of auto leveling!
We boondock in the backwoods mainly, some very unlevel spots. We have camped for a month with 5" of lynx blocks under the jacks on one side, with the tires on that side off the ground.
System works great. Let it do it
After you use it a bit, you will just know how many blocks under the low side jacks you will need.

I find it's more stable with the wheels still carrying some weight, that's why I get it close. When we bought the trailer I didn't want them but could not delete, now I'm too spoiled and won't ever NOT have them.
Old 07-22-2019, 01:34 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by nayther View Post
I find it's more stable with the wheels still carrying some weight, that's why I get it close. When we bought the trailer I didn't want them but could not delete, now I'm too spoiled and won't ever NOT have them.
I understand the being spoiled with auto level! It is definitely my favorite option.
As far as weight on the wheels, we are exactly the opposite If we have more movement than usual, I will bump each side up a tad to take more weight off the suspension. That's what works for us. Every RV is different though.
And everybody is definitely different in what works for them. That's the beauty of RVing.
Old 08-09-2019, 04:12 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
I understand the being spoiled with auto level! It is definitely my favorite option.
As far as weight on the wheels, we are exactly the opposite If we have more movement than usual, I will bump each side up a tad to take more weight off the suspension. That's what works for us. Every RV is different though.
And everybody is definitely different in what works for them. That's the beauty of RVing.

I might play with it more next time then. It does wiggle some, thinking about adding the strong arm type bracing. Had them on my last 5er and they worked wonders in the Mojave desert winds we're in a lot. That was with the standard "stabilizers", not even scissors jacks though. Stock the electric levelers are a HUGE upgrade from that.

Tags
cat, jacks, stabilizer, wildcat