Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-27-2012, 11:19 PM   #1
Jeffco, MO

Second battery installation

We had two batteries in our previous travel trailer. Now that we are getting a new Wildcat FW, would like to know if anyone has added a second battery since the factory build only has provisions for one with one battery vent. Any suggestions and photos would be appreciated.

Mary & Ted
2016 Silverback 33IK
2015 GMC Sierra 2500HD CrewCab Diesel/Super Glide Hitch
Days camped 09 -53, 10 -56, 11 -57, 12 - 55, 13 - 46, 14 - 50, 15 - 60, 16 -32
7 FROG Rallies (Goshen(4), Charleston, Amana(2))
tedstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 07:48 AM   #2

You're not getting much of a response here, you might try asking this question at the Wildcat owners forum.
Here's' a link. WildcatCamperForum.com

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 08:51 AM   #3

Ted, when I ordered my cat I also ordered the second battery option. Once I took delivery of the unit I had the dealer install four 6 volt batteries. I had much better luck running 6 volt batteries over the years so I continued using them. Somewhere on this site I have posted a several pictures of my battery set up. I think it was in the photo gallery.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...picture395.jpg

Bill
2020 GMC Duramax-3500HD 4x4 CrewCab
B&W Companion 25K Fifth Wheel Hitch
2010 Wildcat 28RKBS (West Coast Model)
56 Gallon Titan Tank
bsmall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 06:49 PM   #4

I would very much like to hear how you like the 6v system as well what kind of up charge did it cost ... Thanks for the info and help.

Team Wildcat

Tomcat
TomCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 12:27 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomCat View Post
I would very much like to hear how you like the 6v system as well what kind of up charge did it cost ... Thanks for the info and help.

Team Wildcat

Tomcat
Hi Tom, as far as the cost I just had the dealer install the four 6 volts instead of the two 12 volt batteries. The only thing I had to buy was the battery boxes and covers.
As far as using 6 volts I really prefer them over the 12 volts. They just seem to last a lot longer, and can be taken all the way down with very little charge left and then back up to a full charge.
I hope this helps you out a little, if you have any questions just ask.

Bill
2020 GMC Duramax-3500HD 4x4 CrewCab
B&W Companion 25K Fifth Wheel Hitch
2010 Wildcat 28RKBS (West Coast Model)
56 Gallon Titan Tank
bsmall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 06:42 PM   #6

Bsmall,

What kind of weight do you think this adds to your unit? How many total battery's do you have in the front compartment? Also could I see a picture of it some time as I would like to look over the layout to it. Lastly if this was an option on the wildcat what kind of price do you feel is appropriate for this option. Thanks again and safe travels.

Tomcat
TomCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 04:07 PM   #7

I swapped the single 12v in our surveyor TT for twin 6v golf cart batteries and it more than doubled the life. 3 day boon docking is no problem. We have a 312bhx 5er on order and I will likely make a similar upgrade with 4 or 6 6v golf cart batteries. They weigh about 60lbs and cost $60-$80. Costco and Sam's club seem to have the best prices if you're a member. I don't know what the 12v weighs, but it's probably about the same. So, if you are swapping 2 12v for 4 6v you are adding around 120lbs.

Hope this helps
Shawn
scroses40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 03:40 PM   #8

My 282RK came from the factory with provisions for 1 battery, but the dealer told me they ALWAYS add a second battery as part of the deal. They put it right next to the factory battery, in a marine battery box. They are both Interstate deep cycle marine/RV batteries. My old toy hauler had a battery disconnect switch, this coach did not come with one. I just bought one, and installed it.
Turbobob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery