Old 04-09-2017, 09:24 AM   #1

Solar prep question 2016 262RGX

Our new-to-us '16 262RGX came with a build sheet that says it is prepped for solar. However I cannot find anything inside the coach that says anything about it. I found a Youtube video with the exact same unit that has a plate on the hallway wall that says Wired for Solar. I assume this is where the wiring is, but ours does not have that plate. I attached a pic of the plate below. Could FR possibly have goofed and not wired our coach for solar?

SeventyGTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 09:58 AM   #2

Yes, its possible that happened. It is also possible that it was wired but they forgot to make the cutout on the panel and install the gopower panel over it. Anything is possible with RV manufacturing ;-)

After disconnecting all power to the camper, consider pulling out the convenience center panel (has all of your switches and stuff) and see if there are 8 or 10 gauge loose wires back there that are for the go-power solar.

Curious, what are you hoping to get out of solar? If you just want your batteries topped off while in storage than the "GO Power" pre-wired is fine. However, if you want actual solar functionality to reduce or eliminate generator operation, I would not use anything pre-wired at the factory as the wiring is often too thin and too long which introduces losses in efficiency.

Skyliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 10:02 AM   #3

I was just more curious than anything else. The previous owner, who is also a member here installed two Interstate 6v batteries, so we are in good shape there. Doubtful we will ever dry camp enough to ever kill them. Plus, I plan on getting a couple of 2000w generators so we can run the AC when we do dry camp.
Old 04-09-2017, 10:15 AM   #4

Look on the exterior of the camper for a SAE solar plug that is part of the go-power "solar on the side" system.

It is possible that the pre-wiring is just for an external solar panel with build in solar controller.

Sounds like you have a plan and 2 generators is a very good option for dry camping. We used inverter generators for almost a decade before we installed solar but still carry our generators with us when we camp as solar and air conditioning isn't an option for our budget.

I'll be honest, one of the things I love the most about my solar is not having to worry about the batteries dying when the RV is not being used and in storage.
Skyliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 10:26 AM   #5

My problem with solar keeping the batteries up when we are not using it, is I keep it under a metal cover. So, I will probably just keep the coach plugged in.

Another thing this is supposed to have that I cannot find, is a battery disconnect switch which was a $145 option. The solar prep was $362 according to the build sheet.
Old 04-10-2017, 10:19 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventyGTX View Post
My problem with solar keeping the batteries up when we are not using it, is I keep it under a metal cover. So, I will probably just keep the coach plugged in.

Another thing this is supposed to have that I cannot find, is a battery disconnect switch which was a $145 option. The solar prep was $362 according to the build sheet.
Seventy GTX - look to the right of the 6V batteries and down. You will see a red and white rotary type switch about 3 inches across. This is the disconnect with you are looking for. If the "green is showing, then switch is on, "red" it's off. Keep asking the questions. And yes, 2, 2000 watt generator will do the trick for the A/C. Don't mess with anything else other than the Honda EU 2000 and 2000i units. Get the 30 amp and 20 amp plus the parallel cord and you're set. That is what I used and a chain to keep them where you left them at the camp. Honda is a proven unit that works.
High Desert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 11:30 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Desert View Post
Seventy GTX - look to the right of the 6V batteries and down. You will see a red and white rotary type switch about 3 inches across. This is the disconnect with you are looking for. If the "green is showing, then switch is on, "red" it's off. Keep asking the questions. And yes, 2, 2000 watt generator will do the trick for the A/C. Don't mess with anything else other than the Honda EU 2000 and 2000i units. Get the 30 amp and 20 amp plus the parallel cord and you're set. That is what I used and a chain to keep them where you left them at the camp. Honda is a proven unit that works.
Thanks, I just went out and looked. Didn't see it at first, then saw it in the back almost out of sight. I am used to our motor homes that had it inside on the main control panel. At least I know it has it now.
Old 04-17-2017, 05:53 PM   #8

I just picked up my new '17 285RKX and it has that same label for solar. It's actually a sticker in the hallway and it marks the location of the wiring for the solar system. I'm assuming you have to purchase the control panel to put there. If you check up on the roof you'll probably find the connections to plug the panels in.
AUHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 06:05 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUHunter View Post
I just picked up my new '17 285RKX and it has that same label for solar. It's actually a sticker in the hallway and it marks the location of the wiring for the solar system. I'm assuming you have to purchase the control panel to put there. If you check up on the roof you'll probably find the connections to plug the panels in.
That's the weird thing about mine, I found the plugs for solar on the roof, but it has no sticker in the hall or anywhere else. So I am clueless as to where you would mount a control panel.

https://www.forestriverforums.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic98816_1.gif

Tags
solar