Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-18-2017, 12:44 PM   #1

Soon to be new Wildcat 312BHX owner.

Hello from Las Vegas.

I am going down to California this coming weekend to check out and hopefully purchase a new 2017 Forrest River Wildcat DLX 312BHX 5th wheel. Was wondering if anyone has any tips on what to specifically look for on these models during my pre-PDI and dealer PDI aside from the normal things to check. I am a little nervous as to seeing a lot of bad reviews in regards to Forrest River and the Wildcat but this model seems to have everything we need/want and at the right price. Thanks for your replies in advance.

PS. I was previously a Heartland Northtrail owner (bumperPull) so not completely new to the trailer life.
Mikeyt89148 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 06:41 PM   #2

Congrats - look at all the switches, and make sure you know what they operate. FR has a habit of putting switches in (like tank heaters) and not marking them so you go nuts later on trying to figure out whats what. Also, ask about hidden fuses. Such as front jack motors may be behind panels that have to be pulled to access in case jacks don't work (happened to me). Have them show you where the winterization valves are at so you don't have to just for them later on. Often, the PDI guy may not know a lot of this unless he / she is a service tech. Beyond that, it is pretty much the same as most other late model coaches.
High Desert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 06:52 PM   #3

I don't know if Wildcat MAXX makes the floor plan you're looking at or not. I'm also not sure if the MAXX is sold in California. If it is, and MAXX makes a comparable floor plan, you'd do well to the the MAXX trailers out before you sign any papers!
2015 Ram Laramie Hemi, w/air suspension
30 years RV'ing
11 different RV's
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 07:57 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSchleder View Post
I don't know if Wildcat MAXX makes the floor plan you're looking at or not. I'm also not sure if the MAXX is sold in California. If it is, and MAXX makes a comparable floor plan, you'd do well to the the MAXX trailers out before you sign any papers!
Wildcat MAXX units are made in Oregon, for the Western US market.
They don't always have the same floorplans as the Indiana made Wildcats and vice versa.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 09:55 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeyt89148 View Post
Hello from Las Vegas.

I am going down to California this coming weekend to check out and hopefully purchase a new 2017 Forrest River Wildcat DLX 312BHX 5th wheel. Was wondering if anyone has any tips on what to specifically look for on these models during my pre-PDI and dealer PDI aside from the normal things to check. I am a little nervous as to seeing a lot of bad reviews in regards to Forrest River and the Wildcat but this model seems to have everything we need/want and at the right price. Thanks for your replies in advance.

PS. I was previously a Heartland Northtrail owner (bumperPull) so not completely new to the trailer life.
Just an afterthought here - why go to Ca to buy the unit if you ca get it in Oregon? In Ca, you are going to pay 8 - 10% additional sales tax. Oregon - zero, plus temp registration would be cheaper/ Don't know about you, but my money comes harder these days and I prefer not to give away what I don't need to. I understand that Nv has some high cost registration and tax issues, in some places, but can't see get double dipped here.
High Desert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 10:36 AM   #6

These are the things I had issues with on mine last year.
The blinds wouldn't stay up. I don't think the dealer liked fixing them, because the service guy pointed out they had 13 sets of blinds to fix several times.
The rear stabilizer jacks, the bolt that holds the foot on was too tight and wouldn't bend when it hit the ground.
The dealer broke the battery disconnect switch during setup.

If your spare tire is on the bumper, make sure that it is on tight. The steel bar used to hold the tire to the mount was pretty flimsy and would bend allowing the tire to move around.

2016 Nights camped in wildcat(14) didn't count previous trailer
2017 Nights camped (44)
2018 Nights camped (29) that's too low. Must work on it.
maskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 11:01 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Desert View Post
Just an afterthought here - why go to Ca to buy the unit if you ca get it in Oregon? In Ca, you are going to pay 8 - 10% additional sales tax. Oregon - zero, plus temp registration would be cheaper/ Don't know about you, but my money comes harder these days and I prefer not to give away what I don't need to. I understand that Nv has some high cost registration and tax issues, in some places, but can't see get double dipped here.

California and Nevada are within 1% on the sales tax. If I pay Cali tax then I don't pay Nevada. If I go to Oregon, who doesn't have the sales tax, I would still have to pay Nevada when I come home to register it. Either way I will still have to pay a tax but will not get hit with double.
Old 04-19-2017, 11:01 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by maskins View Post
These are the things I had issues with on mine last year.
The blinds wouldn't stay up. I don't think the dealer liked fixing them, because the service guy pointed out they had 13 sets of blinds to fix several times.
The rear stabilizer jacks, the bolt that holds the foot on was too tight and wouldn't bend when it hit the ground.
The dealer broke the battery disconnect switch during setup.

If your spare tire is on the bumper, make sure that it is on tight. The steel bar used to hold the tire to the mount was pretty flimsy and would bend allowing the tire to move around.

Thank you.
Old 04-19-2017, 12:28 PM   #9

Hope you find the one you want. Congrats!
Harris85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 02:52 PM   #10

Hi Mikeyt89148,

I have a 2016 312QBX Wildcat, the sister floorplan to the 312BHX, except without a outdoor kitchen and extra bunk.

The Wildcat DLX models are the final models produced by FR that featured the improved BAL frame vs. the standard Lippert frame found on the current Wildcats.(and almost every other other brand) This is a tremendous improvement over the current model, stronger, much better use of space, larger storage compartments, great utility docking area,. There are many other upgrades that were offered standard on the DLX models (larger hot water heater, solid surface countertops, MOR RYDE suspension, Dexter axles, better framing and insulation, 16" aluminum wheels, better tires, Serta mattress, LED lighting) that they eliminated or reduced on the newest model Wildcats.

We've camped over 100 nights in ours and after doing a thorough PDI I can say we've had virtually no significant issues, we paid for the extra years warranty and never used it. We've been very happy and have yet to find another model that we like better. In fact, we just went to the Denver RV show in March and met with the Wildcat rep who has worked with them for 20 years and he reaffirmed that the DLX models were significantly better than the newer models and that we had made a wise decision.

Get the unit, I know you'll be pleased. PM me with any questions I can answer.
Old 04-20-2017, 01:03 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNOMORE View Post
Hi Mikeyt89148,

I have a 2016 312QBX Wildcat, the sister floorplan to the 312BHX, except without a outdoor kitchen and extra bunk.

The Wildcat DLX models are the final models produced by FR that featured the improved BAL frame vs. the standard Lippert frame found on the current Wildcats.(and almost every other other brand) This is a tremendous improvement over the current model, stronger, much better use of space, larger storage compartments, great utility docking area,. There are many other upgrades that were offered standard on the DLX models (larger hot water heater, solid surface countertops, MOR RYDE suspension, Dexter axles, better framing and insulation, 16" aluminum wheels, better tires, Serta mattress, LED lighting) that they eliminated or reduced on the newest model Wildcats.

We've camped over 100 nights in ours and after doing a thorough PDI I can say we've had virtually no significant issues, we paid for the extra years warranty and never used it. We've been very happy and have yet to find another model that we like better. In fact, we just went to the Denver RV show in March and met with the Wildcat rep who has worked with them for 20 years and he reaffirmed that the DLX models were significantly better than the newer models and that we had made a wise decision.

Get the unit, I know you'll be pleased. PM me with any questions I can answer.

Thank you for your reply. It has been hard finding all the detailed info on this unit. Barring any major issues found during my thorough PDI, I plan on taking this unit home on Saturday. Already had a super glide hitch installed on the truck this week.

Tags
312bhx, cat, wildcat