Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-21-2017, 03:03 AM   #1

Storing our Wildcat for 8 months

We're leaving our 2008 Wildcat 32QBS at a caravan park here in N.Z. for 8 months while we return to the U.S. We don't expect it to freeze, but would like any guidance as to what we should do to store it. It will likely not be moved during that time, but it might if they need to mow grass underneath it.
Benlevi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 10:00 AM   #2

Empty all tanks completely, blow out the water lines just like you were winterizing, disconnect the batteries or put a solar charger on them, air the tires to max cold setting, place pads under each of the tires to isolate them from from the ground, cover all the openings like water heater vent, furnace vents, kitchen hood with something to keep bugs out, turn propane off thats about all i can think of
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 04:02 PM   #3

Thanks SeaDog, all good advice. What kind of 'pads' do you recommend under the tires? I have a bunch of 2"x6" boards; would those do? Do you worry about theft, e.g. putting 13kg gas bottles (currently in unlockable exterior cabinets) and generator (currently in exterior lockable storage) inside? It'll be stored in a caravan park... but I do wonder about how easy it is to break in... Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
Old 03-21-2017, 04:16 PM   #4

I installed a propane tank lock on my dual tanks. Bought it on Amazon. It covers the nut for the hold down rod. Boards under the tires are good as long as they are wider than the tires. Don't want the tires hanging over the edges of the boards.
Old 03-21-2017, 05:06 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benlevi View Post
Thanks SeaDog, all good advice. What kind of 'pads' do you recommend under the tires? I have a bunch of 2"x6" boards; would those do? Do you worry about theft, e.g. putting 13kg gas bottles (currently in unlockable exterior cabinets) and generator (currently in exterior lockable storage) inside? It'll be stored in a caravan park... but I do wonder about how easy it is to break in... Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
Like was said something that will ensure the tire doesn't hang over. I use 2x8 or 3/4 plywood cut 10" wide. the lock on the propane tanks sounds good however out of sight out of mind is also good planning.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 09:33 AM   #6

We put dryer sheets as well as oil of peppermint on cotton ball in compartments and around inside as it seems to keep critters out. Also spray ant killer around tires and any jacks as it helps keep them out as well.
Old 03-22-2017, 02:04 PM   #7

It wouldn't hurt to put in a couple dri-z-air kits. Changes in temperature can create excess moisture that the kits will take care of.
Larry Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 02:31 PM   #8

Eight months is what we call winter here in Northern Ontario lol. We do most of the above mentioned. I also remove all towels, toilet paper, napkins etc because mice here have been known to shred things to make nests. I also stand the mattress and dinette cushions on end for the same reason. Be sure to leave the fridge/freezer doors open. Have a great trip.

Phil, Heather & Olaf the Boxer
Ontario Canada
Lexington 283GTS
oldsmasma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 03:50 PM   #9

Send a message via Skype™ to Boots49
The only thing that was not mentioned was the compartment locks. I hope you changed the ones that came with your RV, because they are standard locks with the same key that everyone has. You can have your cylinders re set by a lock smith or buy new locks from Amazon. Hope they were changed.

Al & Susanne
Aka: Puss 'n Boots
Wildcat 31 TS - Silverado 2500 DuraMax Diesel
Tip of the Day: Stay safe, have fun and never leave the cat out in the rain!
Boots49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 05:48 AM   #10
D W

Quote:
We're leaving our 2008 Wildcat 32QBS at a caravan park here in N.Z. for 8 months while we return to the U.S. We don't expect it to freeze, but would like any guidance as to what we should do to store it. It will likely not be moved during that time, but it might if they need to mow grass underneath it.
X2 what everyone else has posted. 8 months is a long time to keep an RV buttoned-up. The fact that your rig is a 2008 model (not new), adds to the problem. Do you have anyone that will periodically open the rig and allow transfer of atmosphere? Lack of air circulation can be detrimental to your interior. After a while it will become a confined space. No different than a house that has been vacated and sits for months without any attention. The atmosphere can be your friend or your worst enemy. Even in the off season I make it a point to "open it up" at least once a month to allow fresh air in, and to check things out. More often than not "things" have tendency to go bad when they just sit. Just sayin'.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 07:20 AM   #11

stock unit full of food and then send me an airline ticket i will gladly watch it for you

Stop worrying about the potholes in the road and enjoy the journey
muddyrode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 09:14 AM   #12

Quote:
Do you have someone that could fire up the Generator every 2 or 3 months ???
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 05:21 PM   #13

Mine sits in the woods in the Berkshires for 8 months under a blanket of snow.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 11:01 PM   #14

You'll be ok, don't worry about it. My biggest concern with long term storage is mouse intrusion/infestation. Please take precautions against mice!

If you can store it plugged in then consider a dehumidfier
Skyliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 09:31 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
Mine sits in the woods in the Berkshires for 8 months under a blanket of snow.
We used to have an old TT that sat in the Forest up North,,, 12 months a year,,, it got so bad we turned it into a storage building !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 09:44 AM   #16

We puta good doze of cayenne pepper on and around the tires
colourful64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 09:45 AM   #17

Here in Canada 8 months is long at all ..we have to do it every year
colourful64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 04:56 PM   #18

Great advice everyone. It was mentioned to "cover all the openings like water heater vent, furnace vents, kitchen hood with something to keep bugs out". What do you recommend to do that? I'll also get some things to take moisture out of the air (here in NZ they don't have availability like in the US), and will get someone here to open the camper up periodically. I have solar panels and batteries, and wonder if there's some low-power thing that will help keep things fresh that I can run off of batteries (or inverter... I have a 1kW pure sine wave inverter I could leave on as well, if it didn't run the batteries down too much).
Old 03-28-2017, 05:54 PM   #19

Cover Heater and Refrigerator and Water Heater vents with tinfoil on the inside of the vent. If you have electricity to run trickle charger fine. If not pull the batteries and take them home. I just leave my one battery in the trailer with no charger and hook up charger when I get there.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat, wildcat