Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 10-30-2016, 06:30 PM   #21
BMullins46

The maximum inflation is regulated by the PSI rating of the wheel. An "E" rated tire may be rated for 80PSI as maximum inflation, but if the wheel is only rated for 60 PSI, then 60PSI is the maximum the tire should be inflated to, thus you have not gained anything by going to the heavier rated tire.
Personally if I was going to upgrade tires because I felt uncomfortable with what came on the trailer I would upgrade to a 16" LT tire if they would fit under the trailer, your tire dealer can give you information concerning the height, width, and weight capacity specs of the various sizes of tires. Remember that the weight rating of the axles is the determining factor for your GVW and that by going to heavier rated tires does NOT mean that you can exceed that GVW rating.
Old 10-31-2016, 09:31 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMullins46 View Post
The maximum inflation is regulated by the PSI rating of the wheel. An "E" rated tire may be rated for 80PSI as maximum inflation, but if the wheel is only rated for 60 PSI, then 60PSI is the maximum the tire should be inflated to, thus you have not gained anything by going to the heavier rated tire.
Personally if I was going to upgrade tires because I felt uncomfortable with what came on the trailer I would upgrade to a 16" LT tire if they would fit under the trailer, your tire dealer can give you information concerning the height, width, and weight capacity specs of the various sizes of tires. Remember that the weight rating of the axles is the determining factor for your GVW and that by going to heavier rated tires does NOT mean that you can exceed that GVW rating.
personally i have never seen a psi rating on a wheel only max weight ratings . Like my TH that came with d rated tires at 65 psi . the wheels are rated for 2830 which is the weight rating for a st e rated tires at 80 psi
Old 10-31-2016, 09:57 AM   #23

"Why would the LRE's be run under inflated . I've seen weight ratings on rims but never psi"

Before I decided I weighed each wheel and consulted with Tire Man who is an expert on this.

For my trailer weight @ ~9k lbs I thought running a E tire at 80lbs would be too firm, several previous discussions on the forum about it. However, I wanted to upgrade the tires so moving from a LRC to LRD gave me the cushion I was looking for (12-15%).

It is the air pressure not the tire that supports the load. So capacity of a LR-e tire at 50 psi is the same as the capacity of LR-D and as LR-C.

Sometimes there is no difference between two adjacent Load Range tire sidewall construction. i.e. LR-C amy be identical to LR-D or a LR-D may be identical to LR-E.

The weight difference may simply be the number of steel cords in the belts as the "Plunger" test ( you could thing of it like a tread puncture test using a 3/4" dia bolt) is based on what happens when a tire is fully inflates so more steel is needed to pass the 80 psi test than the 50 psi test.

With the rim stamped 2150# IMO that would mean it is only rated for 50 psi (inflation of the ST215/75R15 to give 2150# capacity).

When purchasing try to get fresh ones, you can look at the DOT code on the tire to determine the dates.
2003 Dodge Cummins w/Banks 3:73
Old 10-31-2016, 10:28 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigBean7672 View Post
"Why would the LRE's be run under inflated . I've seen weight ratings on rims but never psi"

Before I decided I weighed each wheel and consulted with Tire Man who is an expert on this.

For my trailer weight @ ~9k lbs I thought running a E tire at 80lbs would be too firm, several previous discussions on the forum about it. However, I wanted to upgrade the tires so moving from a LRC to LRD gave me the cushion I was looking for (12-15%).

It is the air pressure not the tire that supports the load. So capacity of a LR-e tire at 50 psi is the same as the capacity of LR-D and as LR-C.

Sometimes there is no difference between two adjacent Load Range tire sidewall construction. i.e. LR-C amy be identical to LR-D or a LR-D may be identical to LR-E.

The weight difference may simply be the number of steel cords in the belts as the "Plunger" test ( you could thing of it like a tread puncture test using a 3/4" dia bolt) is based on what happens when a tire is fully inflates so more steel is needed to pass the 80 psi test than the 50 psi test.

With the rim stamped 2150# IMO that would mean it is only rated for 50 psi (inflation of the ST215/75R15 to give 2150# capacity).

When purchasing try to get fresh ones, you can look at the DOT code on the tire to determine the dates.

The 2150 is a weight rating not a psi rating . so the max load for the wheel is 2150 . you could still use e rated tires at 80 psi as long as you stay with in the rate rating of the wheel . and i do not agree that the air pressure supports the load not the tire . the tire is set in the rim , the tire bead , side walls etc all with the air are needed . the rim carries the weight of the trailer which in turn use the tires to hold the psi .
Old 10-31-2016, 11:32 AM   #25
Blog: RVroadtripper.com

Facts to consider if Upgrading Maxxis 'E' to Salun 'G'

Please see attached PDF file

My Maxxis 8008s ST235/80/R16 tires mounted on Hi Spec Series 9 6-lug wheels were std on my 2016 Wildcat. But now after 15,000 tow miles with no problems at all, I wanted to explore replacing them with Sailun S637 'G' rated tires of the exact same size ST235/80/R16. Why? Because 'G' rated gains greater load carry and a max speed 75mph. End of the story is the Hi Spec 6-lug wheels don't support 110psi. A Sailun tire upgrade would require new wheels.

How I Reached this conclusion:
- Compared load and spec charts from Goodyear, Maxxis, Sailun and Hi Spec
- Spoke with support at Hi Spec, Sailun and Maxxis
- Gathered all the information into a single PDF file to use in conversations with vendors and fellow-Wildcatters.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Compare Sailun to Maxxis 2016Nov.pdf (615.7 KB, 51 views)
Maxxis 235/80/16E; AirBags w/AirLift1; mor/Ryde Rubber Pinbox; Andersen UltimateII Alum. 5erhitch on Reese Flipball w/Curt 4" offset; LCI Ground Control3; King Dishtailgater; Traveling with 10' Portabote;
Old 10-31-2016, 12:53 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbillsmith View Post

My Maxxis 8008s ST235/80/R16 tires mounted on Hi Spec Series 9 6-lug wheels were std on my 2016 Wildcat. But now after 15,000 tow miles with no problems at all, I wanted to explore replacing them with Sailun S637 'G' rated tires of the exact same size ST235/80/R16. Why? Because 'G' rated gains greater load carry and a max speed 75mph. End of the story is the Hi Spec 6-lug wheels don't support 110psi. A Sailun tire upgrade would require new wheels.

- Gathered all the information into a single PDF file to use in conversations with vendors and fellow-Wildcatters.
What's not supported is the weight of the g rated tire on your 6 lug rim . Not the PSI . as long as you don't go over weight rating of the wheel . you could put the g rated tire on and run at 110 psi just need to limit the weight so as to not max out the wheel . when it comes to psi from 65 to 80 is not going to effect a wheel nor is 80 to 110 . the rims are rated for weight carrying capacity .
i've got a funky little compressor with not much of a steel tank that is rated for 150psi .
Old 10-31-2016, 03:05 PM   #27

I respect that Northstar has a different opinion, however, I was just passing on information I received from a well respected tire engineer with many years experience.

A trailer with a GVWR 7620 and a certification sticker indicating LRCs @ 50 psi is not necessarily better off with LREs @ 80-100 psi, nor is running the LREs @ 60-65 psi.

I had the LREs sitting in front of me ready to mount up but I turned them down and waited two weeks to get the LRDs. At the time I thought about the lighter axles, 5 stud hubs, c rated wheels (anyway you like to slice it) and figured the sweet spot for my rig was the LRDs. I did not want to run LREs at 80-100 psi and certainly not at 65 psi. That said, running LRDs at 62-65 psi cold was a better match.
2003 Dodge Cummins w/Banks 3:73
Old 10-31-2016, 03:38 PM   #28

Running an 80 psi max 'E' tire at 65 psi and a 65 psi max 'D' tire at 65 psi on a load range 'C' trailer is about identical as you can get. The tires are the same except for 2 additional belts on the E. The E tire is not going to heat up any more than D tire. Extra heat is generated when the psi is not enough for the load (like at 40 psi) not simply when a tire is not run at max pressure. Look at your tire placard on your car and truck. Almost guaranteed they are not the same as the max pressure stated on the tire, except some rear tires on 2500/3500 pickups.

2010 F250 5.4L 3.73
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equal-i-zer 4pt 12K

2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
EQUALIZER E4 1200/12000
Old 10-31-2016, 05:51 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havasu Bill View Post
It should be stamped on the inside of your rims. My rims were stamped 3750 which is good for a G rated tire even though FR only put E rated tires.
Goodyear RV Tires – Tire Selector
All the information needed for a decision about rims for the G614 tires is found in the G614 section of your reference.

It's short and to the point.

Steel valve stems are required.

The rim must be 16x6.5" as the 6.5" width is the only acceptable rim width for that particular tire.

Rim/wheel manufacturer's are not required to put weight or psi ratings on the rims. Tire manufacturers are responsible for selecting the appropriate rim for each tire they manufacturer. When in doubt about a rim the proper thing to do is contact the manufacturer. Your reference point's out that fact.

Here is an example of a suitable rim/wheel;

TR8 | Sendel Wheels

Notice that it's certified by weight and PSI and the authority is SAE. It can also be used with the ST235/85R16F which is rated at 3960# with a rim width range of 6" - 7".
Old 10-31-2016, 06:32 PM   #30
BMullins46

The wheels on my '06 Cardinal are clearly stamped next to the valve stem hole that the maximum inflation pressure for that wheel is 80 PSI. All the wheels that I know of within the members of the Cardinal RV Club have a PSI rating stamped on them somewhere, the aluminum wheels will typically have the pressure rating on the back side of the wheel because of the decorative nature of the front side of the wheel. As was stated above it is the air, not the tire construction that supports the weight, the tire must be capable of of containing the air at the required PSI. My experience in over 40 years of various types of camping/RVing has been that ST type tires tend to fail far too often, thus my preference for LT tires, and the majority of the Cardinal Club members will concur with this. Running higher load range tires under inflated for a softer ride causes more flex which leads to more heat generation which will ultimately lead to tire failure, which is why one of the items read by TPMS is the heat within the tire, this is also a signal that you may have a tire loosing air.
Notice that in the example above the capacity of the wheel is stated at a given PSI, normally the maximum inflation that the wheel is rated for.
Old 10-31-2016, 09:06 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbillsmith View Post

I agree with you that you would need new rims. You have talked to the experts who advised you, I would take it, you have shown documentation, seems people still don't believe what you posted for what reason is beyond me. New rims and tires are chunk of money. You seem to have had very good luck with your Maxxis I would stick with that unless you have a few thousand laying around for new tires and rims. Also for the member that said he never saw a max PSI stamped on the rim well remove my tire from the rim and you will see the PSI stamped max. This debates never ends...I take my hat off to you for taking the time to do the research....Maybe some of these other tire experts should do the same....

Old 10-31-2016, 09:39 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigBean7672 View Post
I respect that Northstar has a different opinion, however, I was just passing on information I received from a well respected tire engineer with many years experience.

A trailer with a GVWR 7620 and a certification sticker indicating LRCs @ 50 psi is not necessarily better off with LREs @ 80-100 psi, nor is running the LREs @ 60-65 psi.

I had the LREs sitting in front of me ready to mount up but I turned them down and waited two weeks to get the LRDs. At the time I thought about the lighter axles, 5 stud hubs, c rated wheels (anyway you like to slice it) and figured the sweet spot for my rig was the LRDs. I did not want to run LREs at 80-100 psi and certainly not at 65 psi. That said, running LRDs at 62-65 psi cold was a better match.
sorry if i was mis understood . I'm merely stating that the rims are weight rated not psi rated . valve stems different story .it's ok to put a e rated tire on a rim with a weight rating of 2150 and run 80 psi but you just don't go over the max weight rating of the rim . yes it will effect ride and handling etc some times for the good and sometimes not
My Rims that came with the 29XLR are stamped with a weight rating of 2830 and i don't plan on going over that . The unit came with D rated tires max 65 psi and 23xx lbs not enough for the weight of the trailer they came on . up,ing them to the E rated was good and can use the extra load of the e tires .and at 80 psi even though the rims came with d's at 65 .
Old 10-31-2016, 10:24 PM   #33

This information is from a standard tire industry check-list. (Bridgestone/Firestone) (Plus sizing)

Never select a tire with a smaller size, or with less load carrying capacity, than the tire specified on the vehicle tire placard.

Substitute tires should never be inflated below the pressure shown on the vehicle tire placard. (This statement referees to tires from the same design group)

Never exceed the maximum load capacity and/or inflation pressure listed on the sidewall of the tire.

Never exceed the maximum load capacity and/or inflation pressure of the wheel.

Never utilize an unapproved wheel or one that does not meet the approved rim width range for the selected tire size.

Acceptable load capacity and/or overall tire diameter do not imply acceptable vehicle clearance. Body and chassis clearance must be checked on the vehicle's front and rear axles.

If a vehicle tire placard or vehicle owner's manual is not available, consult the vehicle or tire manufacturer for assistance.
Old 11-01-2016, 09:29 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airdale View Post
This information is from a standard tire industry check-list. (Bridgestone/Firestone) (Plus sizing)

Never select a tire with a smaller size, or with less load carrying capacity, than the tire specified on the vehicle tire placard.

Substitute tires should never be inflated below the pressure shown on the vehicle tire placard. (This statement referees to tires from the same design group)

Never exceed the maximum load capacity and/or inflation pressure listed on the sidewall of the tire.

Never exceed the maximum load capacity and/or inflation pressure of the wheel.

Never utilize an unapproved wheel or one that does not meet the approved rim width range for the selected tire size.

Acceptable load capacity and/or overall tire diameter do not imply acceptable vehicle clearance. Body and chassis clearance must be checked on the vehicle's front and rear axles.

If a vehicle tire placard or vehicle owner's manual is not available, consult the vehicle or tire manufacturer for assistance.
this is mostly legal statements so theydon't get sued by changing out tire other then what was provided by the factory . and though all good recommendations . I still have never seen a psi rating on wheels other then light weight trailers with small 12 and 13" wheels .
all i'm saying is one must stick to the weight rating of the wheel . just because a wheel is stamped 2150 lbs does not mean it's psi is limited to 50psi .

all the TV out there that came with p rated tires and the owners up graded to lt e rated and 80 psi did not go out and buy new rims .
Old 11-01-2016, 09:54 AM   #35

Half ton owners who upgraded to E rated don't air up to 80 psi, unless they want to drastically shorten the life of the tire. Only the center of the tire would be making contact with the road.

2010 F250 5.4L 3.73
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equal-i-zer 4pt 12K

2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
EQUALIZER E4 1200/12000
Old 11-01-2016, 10:13 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by northstar1960 View Post
this is mostly legal statements so theydon't get sued by changing out tire other then what was provided by the factory . and though all good recommendations . I still have never seen a psi rating on wheels other then light weight trailers with small 12 and 13" wheels .
all i'm saying is one must stick to the weight rating of the wheel . just because a wheel is stamped 2150 lbs does not mean it's psi is limited to 50psi .

all the TV out there that came with p rated tires and the owners up graded to lt e rated and 80 psi did not go out and buy new rims .
I don't know what to tell you the max PSI is stamped inside the rim, here are the most common rim FR puts on ROCKWOODS it shows you the PSI stamped in the rim, because you never saw this don't keep saying that it is not there. Maybe you will learn something, but then again maybe not... PS: the weight at that PSI can carry is also there. A person should not put on a 80 psi tire on a 60 psi rim.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Rockwood rims (1).pdf (228.4 KB, 52 views)

Old 11-01-2016, 12:08 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbrjet View Post
Half ton owners who upgraded to E rated don't air up to 80 psi, unless they want to drastically shorten the life of the tire. Only the center of the tire would be making contact with the road.

2010 F250 5.4L 3.73
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equal-i-zer 4pt 12K

They do when their loaded up !!! i don't run 80 psi in my truck when i'm not loaded and towing and i have a 3/4 .

seems you all are so intent on being right you've lost all your comprehension as to what is being said
Old 11-01-2016, 12:10 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witch Doctor View Post
I don't know what to tell you the max PSI is stamped inside the rim, here are the most common rim FR puts on ROCKWOODS it shows you the PSI stamped in the rim, because you never saw this don't keep saying that it is not there. Maybe you will learn something, but then again maybe not... PS: the weight at that PSI can carry is also there. A person should not put on a 80 psi tire on a 60 psi rim.
Funny how my FR product only state max weight . you are incorrt in your statement but since you have a huge need to be right you just go on doing your thing . you guys are not worth the effort .
Old 11-01-2016, 12:15 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witch Doctor View Post

You need to re-read your ATTACHMENT !! there is nothing there about psi stamped on a rim . it also states a 2830 laod is to only be at 60 psi well they do not make a tire with a 2830 load which would be a E rated tire with a max psi of 60 .
your sointent on being right or making it seem like some else is wrong that you've lost your reading skills and comprehension
Old 11-01-2016, 01:12 PM   #40

Tire load rating vs trailer weight

Why would anyone with a 4K axle put in air for 6K plus? They don't. My rear axle is about 5K when towing and I run 65-68 psi which is more than enough. Even at my max axle rating of 6200 only 75 is recommended by Ford.

2010 F250 5.4L 3.73
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equal-i-zer 4pt 12K

2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
EQUALIZER E4 1200/12000
Closed Thread

Tags
tire, trailer, weight