Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-11-2017, 03:48 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventyGTX View Post
Ok, my tractor guy showed up and dug out about 6 inches. Now I have plenty of room. Going the route of trying to raise it would have been way too much $$$. Spending the $200 to dig out the floor was well worth it to me me. Now I will get some gravel spread in there, and it will be fine. Safe from the intense Nevada sun. Although the whip antenna on top is hatin' life. Here is a pic with the Andersen hitch disconnected and the trailer lifted about an inch above the ball....

looks good to me !!! Wish I had one of those carports ..one of these days

TV:GMC 2500HD Duramax
TT: 2015 Wildwood 21rbs
510Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 04:11 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcheatwood View Post
Maybe dig down 12" and pour 4" slab? Also, I've seen these things raised by cutting poles about 8" from ground then lifting and "splinting" with channel iron (aluminum) bolted to the ends to raise the roof about 12". Took a back hole boom and several guys but the result was great.
Believe me I think about that a lot, but financially it's just not in the cards at the moment. I had a bid of $4k to do a slab when the motor home was in, so no doubt if would be at least that much again, plus more tractor/prep work.

https://www.forestriverforums.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic98816_1.gif
SeventyGTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 05:36 PM   #43

Quote:
Ok, my tractor guy showed up and dug out about 6 inches. Now I have plenty of room. Going the route of trying to raise it would have been way too much $$$. Spending the $200 to dig out the floor was well worth it to me me. Now I will get some gravel spread in there, and it will be fine. Safe from the intense Nevada sun. Although the whip antenna on top is hatin' life. Here is a pic with the Andersen hitch disconnected and the trailer lifted about an inch above the ball....

That looks great! Maybe a little snug, but it works. From the original post, it didn't look like 6 inches would do it.

You win

Tuckerdog1

2016 RAM 2500 Cummins SLT Lone Star 4X4 LB
2016 Windjammer 3029W Platinum
I'm not an expert. But I play one on the internet.
You live & learn or you don't live long.
If you don't punish your children, life will.
tuckerdog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 07:40 PM   #44
Site Team

Looks like problem solved. Good job.

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 08:00 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcheatwood View Post
Looks like problem solved. Good job.
X2...
Old 04-11-2017, 08:03 PM   #46

Quote:
Believe me I think about that a lot, but financially it's just not in the cards at the moment. I had a bid of $4k to do a slab when the motor home was in, so no doubt if would be at least that much again, plus more tractor/prep work.
I'm getting to have a slab done and it's not cheap. But after it gets indoors it will be worth it. This sun puts a beating on things.

But hey... at least Lahonton has water this year!
Loranimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 08:07 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loranimal View Post
I'm getting to have a slab done and it's not cheap. But after it gets indoors it will be worth it. This sun puts a beating on things.

But hey... at least Lahonton has water this year!

Hey neighbor! Not too many Fallonite's on message boards.

Yea, Lahonton is overflowing after several years of nearly being a mud hole.

Old 04-11-2017, 08:51 PM   #48

Really?
Pleasantsurroundings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 09:11 PM   #49

Wow!
Old 04-11-2017, 09:19 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dan View Post
OK, here's my not-so-smart planning/execution story. I had a metal shed built for a 30 amp SOB TT. I planned ahead and wired it for 50a in case I ever bought a 50a 5th wheel. Planned ahead... yeah, right. I got the electrical system right but not the height. My shed had 10' side legs. I had the original shed building company replace the 10' legs with 12' legs and it WAS NOT CHEAP -- seems like it was about 70% of the original cost!! But I couldn't go with digging out. I get water under my trailer with a perfectly level floor. A dug-out hole would stand water after every rain.
Attachment 134442
Yea, but at least you made it wide enough to extend your slides

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 11:31 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeblank View Post
It's under a roof, so no rain, so no water. Duh! [emoji6]
I suppose you never get rain in Michigan ~ but just for reference, water runs downhill, even under a carport roof covering ~~ Duh.
extxn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 07:38 AM   #52

may i ask how is that anchored to the ground?

Stop worrying about the potholes in the road and enjoy the journey
muddyrode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 07:45 AM   #53
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalford View Post
Yea, but at least you made it wide enough to extend your slides
I'd like to take 100% credit for this wise decision but, alas....

for a 40' long shed, they wouldn't build it less than 18' wide. I DID buy into that stipulation knowing I could open all slides.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 08:17 AM   #54

Quote:
I had my wife back there, but she was all but useless as I couldn't hear her with that rattlin' diesel. I have a 10ft ladder inside in the back and kept getting out of the truck and climbing up on that to see what was going on. I was really glad to see the AC clear fairly easily. The biggest thing now will be clearance for the shower skylight.
It was sure a lot easier to just drive the motor home straight in!
Your wife is not still behind the WildCat is she ???
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 08:53 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuckerdog1 View Post
Yea, I went with the beefiest they offered. Said it's supposed to hold up to 100 MPH winds. I think that is BS, but it was the best they offered. As you can see, I allowed for growth. I can do roof top work under cover.
Can I ask what size cover you have there, like the way it looks, I am thinking of doing the same for my Windjammer

2017 Windjammer 3029W
2016 F150 Eco Boost
McKinney TX
Tbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 09:02 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddyrode View Post
may i ask how is that anchored to the ground?
Mobile home anchors that screw in the ground.

Old 04-12-2017, 09:40 AM   #57

I would love to have one for our Sunseeker 2500TS !!!
If I make it thru Spine Surgery this Spring ???
I hope to find someone to build us one !!!
We would probably need more than Screw In Anchors ???
Maybe set in concrete ???
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 09:45 AM   #58

SeventyGTX - bet you never knew all the issues you were going to come up against when you bought my old rig! Kind of funny reading through your issues as we went through the same type of issues, struggling with what to do to protect the 5'er when it was just parked - covers, sheds, etc. Now that we have the Class C, no issue, just drive it in the shop, close the RV door, done deal! Just teasing you there. Looks like you gave the situation a lot of thought and came up with a good, inexpensive solution. Odd, how getting a new RV always seems to drag along a bunch of other costs that were probably never planned for. Nv sun is a killer on fiberglass, so you have a real good solution at your place.
High Desert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 09:54 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Desert View Post
SeventyGTX - bet you never knew all the issues you were going to come up against when you bought my old rig! Kind of funny reading through your issues as we went through the same type of issues, struggling with what to do to protect the 5'er when it was just parked - covers, sheds, etc. Now that we have the Class C, no issue, just drive it in the shop, close the RV door, done deal! Just teasing you there. Looks like you gave the situation a lot of thought and came up with a good, inexpensive solution. Odd, how getting a new RV always seems to drag along a bunch of other costs that were probably never planned for. Nv sun is a killer on fiberglass, so you have a real good solution at your place.
Yea, driving the Class C in the cover was much easier than backing in the fiver. But I have no problem with it, just take my time and use the mirrors.

Like I told you before High Desert, today is the day I dread.........DMV. Big Country RV got the title to our DMV fast and I got a call from them yesterday. So, now it's time to bite the bullet and pay the outrageous fees ahead of me.........well over $3k. The taxes don't bother me as much as that $830 registration fee.

But all in all, we are still money ahead from what we sold the Class C for and the Wildcat is 10 years newer.

Old 04-13-2017, 06:08 AM   #60
MCTroy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuckerdog1 View Post
Yea, I went with the beefiest they offered. Said it's supposed to hold up to 100 MPH winds. I think that is BS, but it was the best they offered. As you can see, I allowed for growth. I can do roof top work under cover.
We are considering building an enclosure similar to yours. Can you send me the measurements of your enclosure? I am having trouble convincing a builder of the size we need. Like you for our current WJ but also what may be next. A pm is fine instead of high jacking this post. Thanks
MCTroy is offline   Reply With Quote