Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-12-2019, 12:36 AM   #1

Two gray water tanks...???

During the walkthrough with the "tech" at the stealership of my trailer (in my sig below) he specifically mentioned that the indicator panel was used in several different models and that I had 1/One/Uno gray tank. Fair enough, as I know how the same parts can be cycled thru various models.

However, while on the 2nd outing I noticed that that both tanks were filling up per the indicator panel. I followed that up with the "tech" who matter of factly stated to me that I could have two tanks, maybe I did, he wasn't at all sure, and "when I get a few minutes I'll call Forest River" Yeah right!

My questions are:

Do I have two tanks? There is only one gray handle. I emptied it this morning and both show empty. So, if there are two tanks, they only dump thru one gate valve.

It's not listed in the brochure or any specs that I can find?

Capacities? I've no clue....???

IF I have two tanks, what drains into what tank?

Thanx in advance for any info provided!
mds47588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 10:58 AM   #2

If you kitchen is in the back and bath in the front. Yes, almost for sure you have two dump valves. One might de under your slide. If it’s on a tt. Not sure about a 5th wheel.
CadeCade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 11:04 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mds47588 View Post
During the walkthrough with the "tech" at the stealership of my trailer (in my sig below) he specifically mentioned that the indicator panel was used in several different models and that I had 1/One/Uno gray tank. Fair enough, as I know how the same parts can be cycled thru various models.

However, while on the 2nd outing I noticed that that both tanks were filling up per the indicator panel. I followed that up with the "tech" who matter of factly stated to me that I could have two tanks, maybe I did, he wasn't at all sure, and "when I get a few minutes I'll call Forest River" Yeah right!

My questions are:

Do I have two tanks? There is only one gray handle. I emptied it this morning and both show empty. So, if there are two tanks, they only dump thru one gate valve.

A friend of mine has a outside kitchen the sink there has a separate gray tank.
cfo111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 12:24 PM   #4

You can see the floorplan in my signature. I guess you could call the bathroom in the front and the kitchen is definitely more in the middle of the trailer.

There is only one gate valve for a gray tank, however if there are two tanks it drains both. Also, the indicator panel Inside makes it appear as if there are two tanks. Pulling the one gray handle would drain both tanks, if there are two. Both had water filling them up this past weekend, and pulling the gray handle drained both as the panel showed they were both empty afterwards.
Old 10-12-2019, 01:10 PM   #5

We have a,Sunseeker 3100LTD and have 2 gray tanks one for the bathroom and one for the galley. 1 of the 1 1/2" Knife valves is beside the 3" Knife Valve(Black waste) the other 1 1/2" is on the opposite side of the coach just behind the rear tire
derek6669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 01:24 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
You can see the floorplan in my signature. I guess you could call the bathroom in the front and the kitchen is definitely more in the middle of the trailer.

There is only one gate valve for a gray tank, however if there are two tanks it drains both. Also, the indicator panel Inside makes it appear as if there are two tanks. Pulling the one gray handle would drain both tanks, if there are two. Both had water filling them up this past weekend, and pulling the gray handle drained both as the panel showed they were both empty afterwards.
Many times when we have a situation like this, the OP crawls under the rig and finds a separate sewer hose connection and drain valve elsewhere.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 01:42 PM   #7

All that is true guys but the OP has said 2 times that 1 pull empties BOTH thanks.
If that's true I'd take that as a benefit. What is the "specified" gray water capacity? Haven't see many greater that 40 gal.
Old 10-12-2019, 01:46 PM   #8

Ok...fair enough. I will take a look tomorrow. Wish I could today but I am at work.

HOWEVER, as I stated several times before, BOTH tanks on the indicator were filling up. One was at 1/3 and the other at 2/3. I place the sewer hose at the only connection (that I’m aware of) and pulled the single solitary gray valve handle. A few minutes later BOTH showed empty on the panel inside.

If I’m wrong, I’m wrong and will fairly admit it, but I am 99.9999% certain there is only one sewer hose connection underneath. If there was another hose connection, then why would pulling the one valve that obviously sticks down and can’t be missed drain both tanks? (If I even have two)
Old 10-12-2019, 01:47 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcrossan View Post
All that is true guys but the OP has said 2 times that 1 pull empties BOTH thanks.
If that's true I'd take that as a benefit. What is the "specified" gray water capacity? Haven't see many greater that 40 gal.
Thank you! To answer your capacity question I’ll have to look at a brochure...again at home and I’m at work.
Old 10-12-2019, 02:09 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcrossan View Post
All that is true guys but the OP has said 2 times that 1 pull empties BOTH thanks. If that's true I'd take that as a benefit. What is the "specified" gray water capacity? Havent see many greater that 40 gal.
In our 2019 Keystone Avalanche 382FL 5th Wheel there are 3 grey water tanks as indicated on the monitor panel... only two of them register. These panels are generic for all their models I am told. In the compartment just above the axles, there are TWO knife valve pull handles, plus one for the black tank. Likewise the monitor panel shows BLK1 and BLK2 but only one is applicable in our single bath unit.
2018 Vanleigh Vilano 375FL
www.Wind-seeker.com/vilano
jbrosecity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 03:03 PM   #11

Yes. Those panels are generic for nearly all Rv’s. For that matter most all of the appliances, electrical components...etc across the whole industry. THAT is why the walkthrough tech had said I only have one tank. So, based on that statement, I assumed I only have one tank, but both (at least on the panel started filling up and displaying different amounts. And again, I only have ONE handle to pull for gray. One single solitary handle next to the black handle. Yet, when I pulled it to drain the gray BOTH showed empty on the panel.

Appreciate all the comments and not at all trying to be argumentative with anyone, but I have only one gray handle to pull and only one sewer connection. But, according to the panel I have two tanks. I may have to call Forest River to get a definitive answer I assume as I’m not removing any of the chrolopast under belly.
Old 10-12-2019, 07:04 PM   #12

64 gal gray capacity as straight from the manufacturer.

But, I still only have one handle to pull with no mention of what drains where..https://forestriverinc.com/rvs/trave...at/312RLI/2885
Old 10-12-2019, 09:27 PM   #13

If they both empty with one valve enjoy it. I have been trying to figure out how to connect my two gw tanks without tearing the underside of the tt off.
RStormC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 10:22 PM   #14

Further to MDS47588's comments about 2 grey tanks and one valve, I have a 2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS Signature series with the same setup. It appears that the kitchen is on one tank and the bathroom sink and shower is on the second tank. I've never had the bottom down to investigate how it works. I was thinking there was some kind of check valves on the two tanks as the do fill up independently. My monitor panel indicates, Grey, and Galley. There is only one 1 1/2" dump valve.
Ed
hollywood91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 11:40 PM   #15

hollywood91: Thank you! That is what I was thinking and now I know I’m not the only one with a similar setup. Now we’re getting somewhere...

More to follow...
Old 10-13-2019, 07:10 AM   #16

Quote:

My questions are:

I am correcting this post. I mistakenly thought you had a 5er, like us. In fact yours is a TT.

Here are the specifications for yoru camper.

https://www.rvusa.com/rv-guide/2019-...322rli-tr41648

It appears that you have 1 grey holding tank.

Perhaps the sensors for both on the indicator are connected to the same sensors on the single tank. This would account for both indicating the same level at the same time.
Old 10-13-2019, 07:19 AM   #17
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Ok...fair enough. I will take a look tomorrow. Wish I could today but I am at work.

HOWEVER, as I stated several times before, BOTH tanks on the indicator were filling up. One was at 1/3 and the other at 2/3. I place the sewer hose at the only connection (that I’m aware of) and pulled the single solitary gray valve handle. A few minutes later BOTH showed empty on the panel inside.

If I’m wrong, I’m wrong and will fairly admit it, but I am 99.9999% certain there is only one sewer hose connection underneath. If there was another hose connection, then why would pulling the one valve that obviously sticks down and can’t be missed drain both tanks? (If I even have two)
Here's the problem I have believing it only has one valve... how could one tank fill to 2/3 and the other to only 1/3 if they are tied together?

Granted, tank indicators are notoriously incorrect to begin with but if we are to believe one tank said 2/3, one 1/3 and pulling a single valve emptied both, something doesn't add up.

Here are the only scenarios I can think of...

1. Both tanks ARE tied together and the indicators are reading incorrectly.

2. There are two valves and the indicators are still incorrect. (pulling one handle indicated both were empty)

3. There is one tank but the wiring is connected to two sets of indicator lights... but at 64 gallons capacity, that sounds implausible.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 07:22 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasReid View Post
We have the version of your camper prior to your model designation, a 2012 32RL. (Same basic floorplan

We have 2 grey tanks, one for the kitchen (galley) and 1 for the shower and bathroom sink.

Look at your dump valves, if there are three of them, like we have) the center is the black tank, the front one is for the bathroom and the rear one is for the galley.
OP has stated many times that he only has 1-Gray valve, 1-Black valve.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 08:11 AM   #19
Canadian Member

64 gallons sounds like 2 tanks. Since the kitchen sink is in an island that’s more likely than a single tank. Others have said they have a setup where one valve empties both tanks. If the gauges are correct and there are are 2 tanks with different levels of liquid in them, then they must both have their own drain valves. So if the gauges are accurate and there is a single pull handle then both drain valves must be connected to the same pull handle. I’ve never heard of that but that does mean it isn’t done. It would be interesting to have someone with that setup confirm that it is indeed setup that way after pulling down the coroplast to actually see it.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 09:40 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasReid View Post

Perhaps the sensors for both on the indicator are connected to the same sensors on the single tank. This would account for both indicating the same level at the same time.
Plz reference above post where I stated that one was a 1/3 full and the other at 2/3 full...definitely not the same amount at the same time. When I noticed that is when this thread got started.

Tags
tank, water, water tank