Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-18-2017, 02:02 PM   #1

Unknown contacts on entrance door

I recently found two sets of two contacts each on the bottom of our entrance door. The door contacts are spring loaded and there are corresponding contacts on the door jamb.

I have NO idea what they are connected to or what their purpose is.

As you can see the bottom set have corroded.

Can anyone tell me what purpose they serve?

Our camper is a 2012 Wildcat Sterling 32RL.

Thanks in advance!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0457.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	249.2 KB
ID:	135091  
Old 04-18-2017, 02:42 PM   #2

I have the same exact unit and the contacts in the door jam. As explained to me the contacts work in conjunction with the Cat Sense porch light system.

The Cat Sense turns on your porch light if you touch the sensor that surrounds the door handle.

I find it to be more of a PITA than it is helpful. The porch light has been known to come on for no reason, even while travelling down the road. We usually just remove the bulb and use the light under the stairs.

There is a switch on the inside, one of the three switches where the stair light is, that will turn off the porch light if on, but doesn't seem to affect how the cat sense works.

One of these days when I have the motivation I will figure out the wiring and remove the cat sense system and just have the porch light on a regular on/off switch.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 03:07 PM   #3

I dont' know what a CAT system is. The porchlight has never come on when we touched the handle but perhaps that is because of the corroded contacts on the bottom set of contacts. Both outside lights, white and amber come on with the switches inside the panel.

I hated the switch inside the panel that was for the inside lights. Having to open the panel door and close it every time we wanted to turn the light on or off was a PITA. I installed a regular house switch and ran the wires straight down the wall so that we can use it without bothering to open the panel door. The third switch inside the panel now does absolutely nothing because I took it out of the circuit.
Old 04-18-2017, 03:33 PM   #4

Does your door have this? If not, then you are lucky it didn't come with this option and the door contacts are extraneous.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170418_143102.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	135105  
Old 04-18-2017, 05:06 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
Does your door have this? If not, then you are lucky it didn't come with this option and the door contacts are extraneous.
First, let me apologize for neglecting to say THANK YOU for yur first post. It was thoughtless of me.

No, it does not have any such decals. I guess I can consider myself lucky?

In general we LOVE the camper, I just wish FR had given more thought to lighting inside. The position of the lights is OK, but the switches are terrible.

We had to walk into the master bedroom and turn on the overhead lights one at a time by reaching all the way up to the ceiling. I fished a wire from behind the medicine cabinet in the bathroom over to the lights and installed a switch for them inside the MBR on the curved wall just inside the door. MUCH nicer to be able to walk into a lighted room.
Old 04-18-2017, 05:19 PM   #6

I agree completely about the placement of light switches!!!! Good idea about moving the switches around. We haven't moved any of ours, just got used to it I suppose.

We love our 32RL also. Very comfortable, and the perfect floorplan for us. Packing ours up and heading to Scottsdale AZ for awhile. Might have to get that second A/C installed while we are there
Old 04-18-2017, 09:48 PM   #7

We love the floorplan too. It is only the two of us and we have more than enough room. The large rear window and the TV in that window work perfectly during the day and night for our lifestyle.

We did not buy it new, we are the second owners. The first owner had the second A/C installed. We use it as white noise without cooling in the spring and fall but in the summers here in S Louisiana it is a Godsend.

We do not have the autolevel but we are so accustomed to leveling with 2X6s we do not want to spend the money to upgrade to it.
Old 04-19-2017, 06:09 PM   #8

I'm glad mine didn't come with it also. My switches are inside the what I guess it the pantry cabinet and you would have to open it to get the switches for everything. I moved the light switch to the side of the cabinet where you can reach it from the entry door what a improvement.

2001 Ford F-350 DRW 7.3
2011 25 RL Wildcat
former fiver 1976 Fourwinds had for 35 years
onetonford is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door