Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-31-2017, 04:57 PM   #1

What a great forum

I joined this forum because we were pretty much set on getting a clean, used shorter Wildcat. Been watching Craigslist all over the west coast as well as RVtrader and RVT.com but they were either sold or over priced.

I started a thread in here about a 2014 282RK we were interested that was located in Oregon, and forum member High Desert popped in explaining the relatively minor issues they had with their similar 2016 262RGX . He checked the dealer in Bend Oregon that they traded it in to and said it was still there. We saw the pics and liked it so much, I just put a deposit on it and will pick it up next Tuesday. The dealer made us a sweet deal on it.

So cool to be able to communicate with the original owner about one on a dealer lot. It's a looooog drive to pick it up, over 9 hours from where we are in Nevada, but I sure have more peace of mind since talking to the original owner on the phone about it.

He said he has the original bedspread and shams and took them to the dealer. That would never have happened had we not hooked up on here. In fact I never would have found it since it wasn't on any of the usual sources I was using to find one.

Anyway, here is our first 5th wheel trailer after being in 3 motor homes. We are stoked...

http://www.bigcrv.com/default.asp?pa...=xAllInventory
SeventyGTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 05:06 PM   #2
Site Team

It's a small world....congrats on your new-to-you Wildcat!

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 05:25 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terier View Post
It's a small world....congrats on your new-to-you Wildcat!
Thank you! Another thing, they tried selling me this $1600+ wizz bang wax job with guaranteed 5 year protection but I said no. Glad I did as I called High Desert (original owner) and he said don't waste my money, he had it done when he bought it new and said it didn't do much at all.
Old 03-31-2017, 05:42 PM   #4

Congrats!!!! Hope your pick up drive is uneventful.
2018 Wildwood X-Lite T282QBXL
2005 Ford E-350 XLT
2017 Ford Expedition EL XLT
MarinesWife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 05:49 PM   #5

All good Info,thanks for posting! Youroo!!
Old 03-31-2017, 07:12 PM   #6

Nice Folks

When we sold our Sunseeker Class C and went to a Puma Travel Trailer, we placed our Honda CRV on the forum classified site. Lovely FROG people came from VA brought their class c, parked in the driver way overnight. Did all the paper work and banking. Made dinner for them and spent some time in the evening talking with them. Next morning we showed them how to hook up the blue ox and away they went. Have been in touch with them several times and all is working well for them. Don't miss the class c, I am spoiled with the Puma TT, hmmm if we get into the FROG Rally, I just might have to talk to the 5er owners. The rally was so helpful to us in selecting a travel trailer and of course, we wanted to stay with Forest River. With all that being said, I hope to see you at the rally.

Safe travels.
2018 297 RSK Primetime Crusader
The Mustard Seed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 07:24 PM   #7

great forum

thank you for the great story & what a wonderful buy! WOW! (great link)
2015 Rockwood 8289WS Diamond Pkg
2015 Puma 253FBS (sold)
2013 BMW R1200GSW
tmfaulksr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 09:51 PM   #8

talk about all the stars lining up. Marvelous story glad you found your Wildcat.
Congrats

Bill
2020 GMC Duramax-3500HD 4x4 CrewCab
B&W Companion 25K Fifth Wheel Hitch
2010 Wildcat 28RKBS (West Coast Model)
56 Gallon Titan Tank
bsmall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 12:35 PM   #9

IDK which way you will travel to Bend. We used to live in Lakeview OR. If you go up/down Highway 97, which goes from Bend down to Klamath Falls, be careful. It is a mostly 2 lane road, and the Californios drive fast. Not a lot of passing lanes, so people pass where they shouldn't. Lots of accidents. It really isn't a problem if you take your time and don't get frustrated. Just beware. Hope you have a safe trip. Bend is a really nice place, so take a day to drive around the area. Welcome to Oregon. (On a different note, where do you live in Nevada. I am considering changing residency to NV as I go full time, but seem to not be able to get a clear answer re. whether a Mail Forwarding business counts as a residence with the DMV for establishing residency in Nevada. If you have info, I would love to hear it.) Thanks and good luck. Fitz
JimFitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 12:57 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimFitz View Post
IDK which way you will travel to Bend. We used to live in Lakeview OR. If you go up/down Highway 97, which goes from Bend down to Klamath Falls, be careful. It is a mostly 2 lane road, and the Californios drive fast. Not a lot of passing lanes, so people pass where they shouldn't. Lots of accidents. It really isn't a problem if you take your time and don't get frustrated. Just beware. Hope you have a safe trip. Bend is a really nice place, so take a day to drive around the area. Welcome to Oregon. (On a different note, where do you live in Nevada. I am considering changing residency to NV as I go full time, but seem to not be able to get a clear answer re. whether a Mail Forwarding business counts as a residence with the DMV for establishing residency in Nevada. If you have info, I would love to hear it.) Thanks and good luck. Fitz
I honestly do not know about mail forwarding as a residence. We are in Fallon, Nv which is 60 miles east of Reno. One major drawback here is DMV fees for RV's are ridiculous. I just checked to see what this used 2016 262RGX will run to register it, and fees alone are going to be $826 PLUS over $2400 sales tax! It is going to run me well over $3k just to get plates on it. Our county (Churchill) is the highest in the state for registration. The other counties I checked are around $150 less per year. Either way, it is all outrageous for something that will sit 90% of the time. Just to put it in perspective, where we lived in California, known for high DMV fees, it would run $286 for registration. Tax would be about the same. The previous owner of the one we are buying, said he paid $88 for two years in Oregon.

I have been up to Bend once, and Portland last year, both times going Hwy 31 off 395. I avoid most of 395 in Nevada and go up Nevada 447 (Gerlach-Cederville Hwy) out of Fernley which takes you around Pyramid Lake, then you pop out in California with about 30 or 40 miles until you hit the Oregon border. Barely any traffic at all going that way. You may see a half dozen vehicles in 150 miles. It totally bypasses Reno and all that 395 mess. The biggest drawback is if you have any mechanical problems as I doubt their is much cell phone reception out there.
Old 04-01-2017, 01:02 PM   #11

I know what you mean. DMV fees in NV are outrageous, but I pay income tax on my military retirement in Oregon, so it is probably a wash. Oregon has no sales tax, but income tax is high...so is estate tax. When I croak, I don't want Oregon to get it; I want my kids to get it. I know Clark county and yours are the two highest DMV fees. My RV in Clark county will be 2500 the first year. Maybe South Dakota will be where I will park my residence. Still exploring. Thanks for the input, and safe travels. Enjoy our beautiful state.
Old 04-01-2017, 01:11 PM   #12

Actually - what I had said were fees to register my truck were about $86 for two years. RV runs a bit higher. I think the Wildcat was around $250, or so, for two years. Still a heck of a lot cheaper than Ca or Nv. Safe travels to Bend and back!
High Desert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 01:12 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimFitz View Post
I know what you mean. DMV fees in NV are outrageous, but I pay income tax on my military retirement in Oregon, so it is probably a wash. Oregon has no sales tax, but income tax is high...so is estate tax. When I croak, I don't want Oregon to get it; I want my kids to get it. I know Clark county and yours are the two highest DMV fees. My RV in Clark county will be 2500 the first year. Maybe South Dakota will be where I will park my residence. Still exploring. Thanks for the input, and safe travels. Enjoy our beautiful state.
No doubt it is a beautiful state, I love driving through there.
Old 04-01-2017, 01:15 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Desert View Post
Actually - what I had said were fees to register my truck were about $86 for two years. RV runs a bit higher. I think the Wildcat was around $250, or so, for two years. Still a heck of a lot cheaper than Ca or Nv. Safe travels to Bend and back!
Doh! My mistake.

Still this entire $3k at our DMV has me spitting flames. It is nothing short of robbery for something that will get little use on the highways.
Old 04-01-2017, 01:21 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventyGTX View Post
I joined this forum because we were pretty much set on getting a clean, used shorter Wildcat. Been watching Craigslist all over the west coast as well as RVtrader and RVT.com but they were either sold or over priced.

I started a thread in here about a 2014 282RK we were interested that was located in Oregon, and forum member High Desert popped in explaining the relatively minor issues they had with their similar 2016 262RGX . He checked the dealer in Bend Oregon that they traded it in to and said it was still there. We saw the pics and liked it so much, I just put a deposit on it and will pick it up next Tuesday. The dealer made us a sweet deal on it.

So cool to be able to communicate with the original owner about one on a dealer lot. It's a looooog drive to pick it up, over 9 hours from where we are in Nevada, but I sure have more peace of mind since talking to the original owner on the phone about it.

He said he has the original bedspread and shams and took them to the dealer. That would never have happened had we not hooked up on here. In fact I never would have found it since it wasn't on any of the usual sources I was using to find one.

Anyway, here is our first 5th wheel trailer after being in 3 motor homes. We are stoked...

http://www.bigcrv.com/default.asp?pa...=xAllInventory
Welcome to your new Wildcat, lots of good luck and happy travels! An other classic car guy?
Old 04-01-2017, 01:35 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventyGTX View Post
Doh! My mistake.

Still this entire $3k at our DMV has me spitting flames. It is nothing short of robbery for something that will get little use on the highways.
They get you one way or another. Here I don't pay a lot to register but I have to pay property tax as appraised as a home...they actually come look at it one every year or every other year to appraise it (county not state) and they do the same for my house.
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 01:38 PM   #17

Well, I guess no matter how you cut it, "uncle" always gets his money. Whether it is Uncle Sam, Uncle State, or Uncle County....they always get paid. If any place was absolutely perfect, we would ALL be residents there. I guess we just gotta weigh the advantages, disadvantages, what is important to us, how much pain in the *ss we want to put up with....and then just GO FOR IT. Happy Camping y'all.

Fitz
Old 04-01-2017, 01:39 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by A32Deuce View Post
Welcome to your new Wildcat, lots of good luck and happy travels! An other classic car guy?
Thanks. I used to be into muscle cars, but got out of them several years ago. My GTX went to Sweden back in 2004, just kept the user name so I don't get confused what my name is on various message boards.
Old 04-01-2017, 01:39 PM   #19

I listen to my brother, in Virginia, squawk about personal property taxes they have to pay based on county of residence. He was living in James City County and recently moved out of there to a more rural area. No matter where you go, we are going to be "gotten" one way or the other, it seems!
High Desert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 07:26 PM   #20

Congratulations on the purchase of your Wildcat! Hope you enjoy it for many years!
Harris85 is offline   Reply With Quote