Old 03-21-2017, 07:26 PM   #1

What to look for on 295RSX

Going to look at a 2015 295rsx this weekend. Would like to know what faults/problems other people have had and what to look for. Thanks

Erweber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 08:10 PM   #2

I am not familiar with your unit but look for water damage, water is one of the biggest RV killers.
Here is a link to a pre delivery inspection (PDI) checklist. It should take a couple hours to go through everything.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...do=file&id=112

crunchman12001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 08:36 PM   #3
Site Team

A couple of us have had leaks in the bedroom slide-out - but fortunately for me, FR finally solved the problem by installing slide-out toppers.

Check the terminal ends of battery cables. Mine had been crimped by someone with a sore toe wearing sneakers merely stepping on them.

Worst problem was the kitchen slide-out dragging on the living room floor. The dealership repaired the floor 3x before we took it home!
Edit: BTW, that floor was not level - had a hump in it that tailed off under the fireplace in that kitchen slide.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 = 26; booked = 42
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 10:02 PM   #4

Thanks guys. It's at a dealer and it's supposed to be "ran through the shop". See what I can find on it. I'm new to the camper thing but I've bought other used equipment. And ran through the shop sometimes means in one door and out the other.
Old 03-22-2017, 07:27 AM   #5

We are very happy with our 295RSX. Bought it new and did have lots of minor issues that were all resolved by the dealer. FR only made this unit for about 2 years. They stopped production supposedly because they were not making enough money on them. They really cheapened the replacement units. It is a great unit with a solid full length frame so bicycles on the rear bumper are no problem. Be sure it has slide toppers if not it would be a good idea to install them. We have towed our unit perhaps 20,000 miles an no issues. I just had disk brakes installed and would recommend you do the same. They made a huge improvement.

2015 Wildcat 295RSX
2018 Ford F-350, 4x4, Diesel, CC, Long Bed
5er_tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 01:20 PM   #6
Blog: RVroadtripper.com

I've had our 2016 295rsx since new and towed 14,000 miles so far. Best trailer I've ever owned.

I ordered mine with the slide toppers so I never experienced the leak others dealt with although when it was only a few months old I did get a slight drip coming thru the bedroom A/C vent during a storm. Turned out that the fix was easy and all it involved was tightening the 4 bolts that hold the front A/C unit down to the roof (about 1 or 2 turns was all it needed). No leaks since.

Water pump failed last year because I was stupid and tried running the pump while connected to city water. I emailed Forest River and they over-nighted me a new one for free. Easy DIY replacement, plug and play, took about 1/2 an hour to do.

If you've ever visited Goshen or Shipshewana RV factories, you'll see that they leave the chassis frames out in the storage yards exposed to the elements. In my case, my brand-new 295 came from the factory in March winter with surface rust on the axle springs and cast iron propane pipe. No big deal, the dealer used naval jelly to clean everything up and then repainted those items with rust-o-ileum.

I did have an issue with the television cabling that I fixed myself. When the unit was brand new and we took it to a local park for its first night out, we ran the TV's channel scan on both the living room and the bedroom TV's. LR got 7 channels, BR got 12 channels (or something like that, it's been awhile). It ended up being loose coax connections at the main junction box which is located in the bedroom behind the coax outlet up on the wall by where the bedroom tv is. It's the one with the led light for amplifier on or off. I carefully pulled it out and retightened all the coax's. After that each tv got the same number of channels 53 I believe it was. So for you a simple test will be to raise the antennae and do a channel scan on both TV's. If they each get the same number of channels, you're good. If one is different, then there may be a loose coax.

The only other thing I can think of was also small and easily fixed. The fender skirt on kitchen/entertainment slide seemed to have a corner that was too close to the tires. It never actually touched them as far as I could tell but just to be same I bent that one corner in a little and it's been fine every time I've checked since.

Lastly, if you want to compare specs or such with mine then view my 'Registry', on the left side of this message box, just below my name and Posts:631, click on the word "Registry". I spent awhile documenting a lot.
Maxxis 235/80/16E; AirBags w/AirLift1; mor/Ryde Rubber Pinbox; Andersen UltimateII Alum. 5erhitch on Reese Flipball w/Curt 4" offset; LCI Ground Control3; King Dishtailgater; Traveling with 10' Portabote;
hbillsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 05:47 PM   #7

Thanks for the pointers. Always nice to know the common problems before hand.
Old 03-23-2017, 06:27 PM   #8

I bought my 2015 295rsx last year, my kitchen slide was hitting the floor, the floor right in front of the couch was bowed up about 1.5 inch, it was sent back o the factory to fix it, the factory had to remove the floor, weld some additional brackets and the reinstall the floor, it isnt perfect but it works, My other living room slide was moving front to back when driving, this was suppose to be fixed at the factory, I haven't pulled it since I got it back.
wildcatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 06:11 AM   #9

take the time to climb up onto the roof. Go over EVERY corner, edge and roof penetration for even the TINYIST crack or hole in the self leveling compound used as a sealant in these areas. even a hairline crack can leak water and once it is inside your walls it does HORRENDOUS damage and causes de-lamination.

If you find anything at all, make sure they fix it and after purchase check it at least every 6 months, I do it every 3
Old 03-24-2017, 07:59 AM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcatter View Post
I bought my 2015 295rsx last year, my kitchen slide was hitting the floor, the floor right in front of the couch was bowed up about 1.5 inch, it was sent back o the factory to fix it, the factory had to remove the floor, weld some additional brackets and the reinstall the floor, it isnt perfect but it works, My other living room slide was moving front to back when driving, this was suppose to be fixed at the factory, I haven't pulled it since I got it back.
Yep. See my post #3 above. This "feature" existed on a couple more Wildcats on the lot. My dealership fixed mine in house under warranty.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3359.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	438.6 KB
ID:	132683

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 = 26; booked = 42
Old 03-28-2017, 11:37 AM   #11

Thanks for all the pointers. Ended up purchasing it. Didn't see any water damage or where the kitchen slide out was dragging on the floor. It was a very nice unit but it has some denting on the lower sheet metal on the bottom side of camper. After seeing how flimsy this stuff is, it's no wonder it's a little bent. Just appears from going down the road fast and in windy conditions. Just can't get over how flimsy the lower sheeting is. Thanks again
Old 03-28-2017, 11:40 AM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erweber View Post
Thanks for all the pointers. Ended up purchasing it. Didn't see any water damage or where the kitchen slide out was dragging on the floor. It was a very nice unit but it has some denting on the lower sheet metal on the bottom side of camper. After seeing how flimsy this stuff is, it's no wonder it's a little bent. Just appears from going down the road fast and in windy conditions. Just can't get over how flimsy the lower sheeting is. Thanks again
There should be some metal "stand-off" strips from the bottom of that flimsy lower sheeting to the frame to keep it from flexing.

Tags