Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-17-2014, 05:50 PM   #1

What type of qa/qc is there at the factory?

On May 3, 2014 we picked up our brand new 2014 Wildcat 317rl from the dealership. We made it home and discovered hydraulic fluid leaking under one of the slides (we have 3). We contacted the dealership and drove it back in for repairs, they thought they have fixed the problem(took 3 weeks) so we brought it home to discover another hydraulic fluid leak. We drove it back again to the dealership who fixed it again, this time we waited for the repair to be done. Again got home with it and discovered the 3rd and final slide also had a leak this one was so severe it has fluid in the bedroom not only under the slide/bed but it has moved into the carpet under the bed. We have not even got to use our Wildcat. Unhappy RV'r.
toecutter73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 06:28 PM   #2
Plain Old Member

It happens, and it sure knocks you down and makes you second guess your purchase when it does. But, it happens to all makes and models, some worse than others. You're getting the bugs worked out, and it sounds like you'll be in good shape soon. No doubt you'll need new carpet now in the bedroom. Hang in there.

I'm not sure if this is your first RV or not. Hopefully, you did not go into this purchase expecting perfection. I've said it many times, if you get into this hobby or lifestyle expecting all to be hunky dory all the time, you're in the wrong hobby. There are problems, there is lots of maintenance etc that goes with it.

We've had our fair share believe me, but with a good dealer, and good factory support, things can be made right and the experience can turn out to be a good one.

Please report back as things progress with getting your Wildcat repaired.
2013 Ford F-350 Lariat CC LB PSD
2015 SOB TT - With OC's Awning Poles (#8)
At least in Heaven, RVs will be perfect, and I won't have to keep fixing them.
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 07:11 PM   #3

I agree with the above post. We've bought 10 new RV's over the years and problems, unfortunately, are part of the "deal". It typically takes a year or so to totally get things sorted out, fortunately, your under warranty during this period. This will pass, and when it does, you and your family should enjoy many years of camping and enjoying this RV.
Best of luck, we've all been there to one degree to another!
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 09:00 PM   #4
WFD

I also agree that there always seems to be bugs to be worked out...and constant maintenance, just the way it is with RV's...and you better be able to do a fair bit of it yourself, because some things are pretty minor and to run it to your dealer every time, means you will spend many days without your RV as it waits for service. I agree that while under warranty your dealer should be taking care of you, but it comes down to how long do you want to be without the unit and do you want the hassle if hauling it there if its relatively easily fixed by yourself at home.
This whole aspect has been discussed a ton on here and the common belief seems to be that quality control sure could be a lot better...you shouldn't have to deal with many of the things buyers deal with purchasing a brand new unit....and many of them are a very sizeable investment...but the RV manufacturers keep m rolling them out and don't seem to really care about that.
Old 06-18-2014, 05:32 AM   #5

Reminds me of buying a new car in the 70's. QC was missing but finally the American car manufacturers got with the program and today, make EXCELLENT quality cars & trucks.
Trying to remember what the "driving force" was that woke up the US car companies. Oh yeah, now I remember----the Japanese began selling cars in the US!!!! Hummmmm, ya gotta wonder if------------?
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 06:10 AM   #6
Plain Old Member

I think down the road, that could happen. The RV industry is already spreading it's wings, and getting bigger abroad. Will be interesting for sure.
Old 06-18-2014, 06:16 AM   #7
Citrus County, Fl.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohnD View Post
I think down the road, that could happen. The RV industry is already spreading it's wings, and getting bigger abroad. Will be interesting for sure.
X2

If Toyota or Honda made an RV I would jump on it in a heart beat. I have a Toyota pickup with 457,000 miles on it. Most reliable vehicle I have ever owned.
99 Terry 31G
GL1800Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 06:36 AM   #8
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

It's a house on wheels.
And running up and down America's hi ways should just about sum that up.

TURBS

"Sabre owners united"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 06:44 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
It's a house on wheels.
And running up and down America's hi ways should just about sum that up.

TURBS

"Sabre owners united"
Amen to that! If anyone has ever driven the Interstates in Indiana and Illinois they know exactly what you're talking about.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 06:57 AM   #10
Plain Old Member

No doubt. I just thought my home state was bad until several trips through Illinois and Indiana. Geez. Safe to say most RV's have been on a "Shake Down" trip before they ever hit the lot.
Old 06-18-2014, 08:54 AM   #11
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I always love when someone compares a house on wheels to an automobile and the difference in quality as well as the durability.

TURBS

"Sabre owners united"
Old 06-18-2014, 09:21 AM   #12
Plain Old Member

Think it was really directed more at foreign competition in the RV industry. The US has no competition in that market really.
Old 06-18-2014, 09:28 AM   #13
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Think it was really directed more at foreign competition in the RV industry. The US has no competition in that market really.
BigJohnD,
Why does everybody believe that a foreign made trailer would be better then the us?
Becuase there cars/vehicles are better?

Just because a foreign auto maker can build a car to last 300,000 + miles doesn't mean there house on wheels quality will be better . No?
😆

TURBS

"Sabre owners united"
Old 06-18-2014, 09:32 AM   #14
Plain Old Member

I don't. Not arguing. Would just be interesting to see some competition and see what someone else would offer, and what the reactions from over here would be.
Old 06-18-2014, 09:35 AM   #15
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
I don't. Not arguing. Would just be interesting to see some competition and see what someone else would offer, and what the reactions from over here would be.
Lol not arguing either.
Just pointing out how silly the comparisons are.

Maybe someday we'll see a China bomb on a China trailer in the us.

TURBS

"Sabre owners united"
Old 06-18-2014, 09:40 AM   #16
Plain Old Member

Wonder if they put US tires on some of the foreign RV's, and they call them American bombs? Who knows. Asside from all that, it is interesting to watch how monopolized all of it is becoming. Pretty much down to a few major players, and they continue to buy. Seems like Lippert or Thor buys someone out every month.
Old 06-18-2014, 09:46 AM   #17
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I can only speak for Sabre as I've been to the manufacturing plant and seen first hand that they appear to have good qc plans in place.

TURBS

"Sabre owners united"
Old 06-18-2014, 09:51 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
I can only speak for Sabre as I've been to the manufacturing plant and seen first hand that they appear to have good qc plans in place.

TURBS

"Sabre owners united"

A plan is only as good as its execution...
2019 FR Vibe 28RL
Rugged Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 10:05 AM   #19
DDC

You are spot on BigJohnD, the more they buy up the more closed competition becomes and the less choices the consumer has and the less choices means the manufacturing companies don't need to bother too much about things like quality pride in product because if it is the only one around the suckers will buy it in any condition.
When companies like Honda in the auto industry started importing to North America their product was not very good in many ways but it was different, and they hit the market at the right time just as the first oil 'crisis' started, gezz if you looked away they started to rot and if you leaned on them they dented, I remember machining rotors on an early Honda and cutting into rust pockets, the thing is they learned and improved and through that so did the other manufacturers, but it would not have if there was no competition, as for comparing autos to trailers it is a natural selection who would have thought about all the electronic equipment working in an auto bumping down the road.
The RV industry has a lot of room for improvement but I question whether they will use it purely because no one is pushing them so they see no gain.
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 10:11 AM   #20
Site Team

Quote:
Wonder if they put US tires on some of the foreign RV's, and they call them American bombs? Who knows. Asside from all that, it is interesting to watch how monopolized all of it is becoming. Pretty much down to a few major players, and they continue to buy. Seems like Lippert or Thor buys someone out every month.
Speaking of Thor, that reminded me of something interesting I read awhile back after seeing a television documentary on AirStreams, and just how many of them ever produced were still on the road (which was a way high percentage).

I haven't verified the wikipedia article, but remember it sticking out in my head, just how many manufacturers of trailers there were ...........in 1936 .

Here is the excerpt about Airstream, which I figured the history buffs may find interesting:

Of more than 400 travel trailer builders operating in 1936, Airstream was the sole survivor of the Depression. During World War II, travel became a luxury most could not afford and non-military industries faced an acute aluminum shortage. When World War II ended, the economy boomed, and people's attention once again turned towards leisure travel. Byam's company went back into production in 1948. In July 1952 a new facility in Jackson Center, Ohio, was established.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
factory