Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-20-2014, 02:41 PM   #1

What were you thinking Wildcat?

Proud owner of a 2015 312QBX. Love the rig and am busy setting it up and accessorising it for our needs.

One of my top priorities was adding JT's Strong Arms. I bought the kit, got all the tools and equipment ready, laid down under the rig and to my surprise saw this below. Completely prohibits adding JT's Strong arms or Wildcats suggested BAL Lock-Arms. Now I have to decide whether to live with the shake or completely redo the battery compartment.

Funny thing is that I have two batteries, and Wildcat only sunk one of them below, the other sits in the storage area nicely. Maybe theres a reason I can't figure out but seems like the engineers could have thought this out better. I know they moved the spare tire from this area recently but now they replaced that obstacle with another!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0819141812a[1].jpg
Views:	287
Size:	290.3 KB
ID:	61025  
SNOMORE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 02:59 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNOMORE View Post
Proud owner of a 2015 312QBX. Love the rig and am busy setting it up and accessorising it for our needs.

One of my top priorities was adding JT's Strong Arms. I bought the kit, got all the tools and equipment ready, laid down under the rig and to my surprise saw this below. Completely prohibits adding JT's Strong arms or Wildcats suggested BAL Lock-Arms. Now I have to decide whether to live with the shake or completely redo the battery compartment.

Funny thing is that I have two batteries, and Wildcat only sunk one of them below, the other sits in the storage area nicely. Maybe theres a reason I can't figure out but seems like the engineers could have thought this out better. I know they moved the spare tire from this area recently but now they replaced that obstacle with another!
I would take the box out and patch the floor, the jt's are worth that to do, they really do stop most of the motion not 100% but to me it made a huge improvement in it before we went to the level -up system.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 03:09 PM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

Quote:

SNOMORE, Just finished up my JTs this afternoon on my Wildcat 327ck. It can be done!! First I had to trim my spare tire mount so the bars past them. Now the battery box is in the way. Is the battery box larger than the battery? Maybe an inch or two longer. What I did with mine was to take the battery box out and cut the front lip off the box. Then right below where you cut the lip off, cut a slot about 1-2 inches deep into the box. Now you should be able to slip the box back in the hole where it came out and push the box with the slot going to metal lip of the hole. Put the mounting screws back and you should to go. If you need help, PM me with a phone # & I'll call you.
ps. after you do the front you'll then need help with the rear, maybe.
elind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 06:17 PM   #4
Campfire Master

I built a frame out of some old deck boards to go around the battery box. Removed the box, put the frame down, put the box back in.
AVid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 06:35 PM   #5

I just removed the box from my crusader (same setup) and put in a double poly box with sealant on the bottom and put in 2 6 volt golf cart batteries!! Nothing hanging down any more!!
Lynkage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 08:10 AM   #6
JAYCO Representative

I'll look into having this changed immediately! The battery box setup has been like that on Wildcat for many years. With our new drop frames and other changes, it's time to review and improve!
Wildcat Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 08:21 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat Chris View Post
I'll look into having this changed immediately! The battery box setup has been like that on Wildcat for many years. With our new drop frames and other changes, it's time to review and improve!

Your forum posts working for you. Gotta love the response from the factory guys.
2019 FR Vibe 28RL
Rugged Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 10:24 AM   #8

Thanks for all of the replies and suggestions. My post originally was intended to point out the design vs. real world use of products, and it appears that Wildcat Chris will bring this matter up with the design team, which is exactly what needs to happen, thank you!

I think all designers should have to use their products in real life situations

Thank you all - Jeff (SNOMORE)

PS - a couple more 12 volt outlets would be very helpful in the unit, as its designed for dry camping but there are only 110 volt outlets in the living area and bunk area. The 40" TV is nice but useless unless you run a genny or in a RV park, I replaced with a Jensen 32" and ran a separate circuit to the panel in the entertainment center.
Old 08-21-2014, 10:59 AM   #9
Mod free 5er

That's the problem, they weren't thinking.
Old 08-21-2014, 11:10 AM   #10
JAYCO Representative

This has already been changed in production. All current Wildcat units being built do not have a lowered battery box.
Wildcat Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 11:59 AM   #11

Quote:
Thanks for all of the replies and suggestions. My post originally was intended to point out the design vs. real world use of products, and it appears that Wildcat Chris will bring this matter up with the design team, which is exactly what needs to happen, thank you!

Thank you all - Jeff (SNOMORE)

PS - a couple more 12 volt outlets would be very helpful in the unit, as its designed for dry camping but there are only 110 volt outlets in the living area and bunk area. The 40" TV is nice but useless unless you run a genny or in a RV park, I replaced with a Jensen 32" and ran a separate circuit to the panel in the entertainment center.
We just use a 400W inverter to watch the tv. Don't need to run the gen. Nothing worse than your neighbor running the gen at 10:30 watching a movie. We use the inverter and then run the gen around dinner time when everyone's making noise anyway.
goduc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 12:11 PM   #12
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat Chris View Post
This has already been changed in production. All current Wildcat units being built do not have a lowered battery box.
Understand that, but the question is, why would they move the spare tire to facilitate stabilizers and then put a battery box in the way. That should never have left the drafting table. Will the factory offer a "fix" for that 'boo boo'? Just asking.
Old 08-21-2014, 12:27 PM   #13
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Understand that, but the question is, why would they move the spare tire to facilitate stabilizers and then put a battery box in the way. That should never have left the drafting table. Will the factory offer a "fix" for that 'boo boo'? Just asking.
If you need something to do head to Iowa and build ms amy's fire pit.........[emoji12]

TURBS

"SABRE OWNERS UNITED"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 12:41 PM   #14
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
If you need something to do head to Iowa and build ms amy's fire pit...TURBS
Looks like if you spent as much time building the fire pit for the lovely Ms. Amy as you do on the forum, it would have been built 2 years ago.
Old 08-21-2014, 12:41 PM   #15
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Looks like if you spent as much time building the fire pit for the lovely Ms. Amy as you do on the forum, it would have been built 2 years ago.
Please........

TURBS

"SABRE OWNERS UNITED"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 01:02 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by goduc View Post
We just use a 400W inverter to watch the tv. Don't need to run the gen. Nothing worse than your neighbor running the gen at 10:30 watching a movie. We use the inverter and then run the gen around dinner time when everyone's making noise anyway.
The inverter idea is great, but you still need to have a 12 volt source to plug it into, which doesn't exist in the living room or bunk room. A 12 volt receptacle in each area would solve this.
Old 08-21-2014, 01:47 PM   #17

[QUOTE=SNOMORE;684325]

/QUOTE]

A company I worked for required all of the design engineers to spend some time on the line each year or when something they designed went into production. This was done so they would have a greater appreciation of what it really took to manufacture the product they designed. I think it helped a lot and also made them more likely to listen to the assembly personnel when problems were brought up.
keith_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 02:19 PM   #18
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

Quote:

Wildcat is using a new drop frame so the spare is now in the basement. Give you more basement space and take some back for the spare. They could have added another cross member and put the spare 6 inches further back under the trailer like I'm doing. I also had to move the battery box.
elind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 06:17 AM   #19

Quote:
The inverter idea is great, but you still need to have a 12 volt source to plug it into, which doesn't exist in the living room or bunk room. A 12 volt receptacle in each area would solve this.
The inverter allows you to use the 110v outlets as it inverts 12v to 110v!
2015 Ram Laramie Hemi, w/air suspension
30 years RV'ing
11 different RV's
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 02:52 PM   #20

Thanks RS, I'm certainly well aware what an inverter does, but the expense of purchasing one and installing it could be easily offset by the simple addition of a couple $5 12 volt receptacles, which are standard in most trailers

Tags
cat, wildcat