Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-28-2022, 11:38 PM   #1

What when in setting up/breaking down

2022 Wildcat 5th wheel. Only been out 2 times. Actually going pretty smooth. When it comes to the duties of setting up and breaking down what order is best? I can successfully unhitch, hook up the water, electricity, open the slides etc.

I have figured out you always do sewer last to prevent cross contamination but what order is the best routine for all the chores?
Russellvh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2022, 01:46 AM   #2

I don't know if there is a 'best' way. We tend to test the electricity coming from the pole first with our surge protector to make certain it doesn't have a fault code. Then we turn the electricity off while we continue to set up.
Then we cock the wheels so that it doesn't try to run away from us (true story, our 19'tt tried to escape down the hill to the back of the site and was stopped by huge timbers that were placed there for dummies like us.) We had a tt and we always unhooked and made certain the rig was stable before continuing with utilities, etc.

Then the rest of the setting up camp depends on who's doing it. Sometimes we didn't hook up sewer until we were preparing to leave and had to dump.
Old 04-29-2022, 02:12 AM   #3

After backing into site/driving in. 1st thing is check power poll make sure it's off, then hook up 50amp , turn/flip breaker, go inside turn AC on. then proceed to unhook plug from truck, lower front jacks, unhook from king pin, drive truck away with tailgate down. Hit the Auto Level. Lower stairs. Slides out. Water hook up, run hot water faucet, flip switch for electric hot water. Sewer Hook up.
Wash hands and relax in cold ac rv.
PS. Now i'm hungry. Wife says everytime we go camping all's i want to do is eat. lmao.
wildmanabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2022, 05:15 AM   #4
WolfPup16FQCT

Park, chock wheels!, remove WD bars, unplug brakes, unhook emergency brake cable, unhitch, check if level, drop stabilizer jacks. Then slowly open/turn on propane tank, and if on a site with amenities: connect water (or fill tanks), connect power (after ensuring post is in off position). Test things inside, sit, relax...
Old 04-29-2022, 07:11 AM   #5

we have a large 5th wheel. first thing is to hook up electrical. we do this so we can operate the leveling system and slides outs without depending totally on the batteries, though it is not yet time to actually operate them. it also allows us to start the a/c.

next step, which is probably unique to us, is to get the cat out of the truck and into the trailer.

put down the leveling blocks and chock the wheels.

now we're ready to start pushing buttons. get the front legs down. then verify that the front legs are down. disconnect break away cable and 7-pin cable and unhook. move the truck away from the trailer.

operate the auto level system and once it is done we can extend the slides and go inside. at this point the wife will start moving things around inside like getting the keurig out and on the counter, unlashing the refrigerator doors, etc

next is usually to hook up the water hose and make sure we have water at the faucets.

at this point there only things left are to hook up the sewer and cable tv if we even want to use it. the sewer is not a priority nor is cable tv.

if we will be staying for a time then it's probably best to spend the time to get the outside rugs, chairs, tables, etc out and set them up.

packing up is pretty much the reverse. we keep the electric hooked up while we bring in the slides and extend the front jacks to get the trailer hooked up. once hooked up, verify the hook up. then disconnect electric cord and pull up all the leveling blocks.

oh, and again this is just us, make sure kitty is out of the trailer and into the truck.
Old 04-29-2022, 07:25 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarsbarsCT View Post
Park, chock wheels!, remove WD bars, unplug brakes, unhook emergency brake cable, unhitch, check if level, drop stabilizer jacks. Then slowly open/turn on propane tank, and if on a site with amenities: connect water (or fill tanks), connect power (after ensuring post is in off position). Test things inside, sit, relax...
I'm curious about unhitching first then check if level. I normally check if level side to side first while still connected to TV because if it isn't level side to side I need to use my tow vehicle to adjust side to side leveling by moving further up or back down on the leveling ramps under the low side wheels. What do you do if you unhitch, and when you check if level you are not level side to side?
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2022, 07:09 PM   #7
New here, old elsewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
I'm curious about unhitching first then check if level. I normally check if level side to side first while still connected to TV because if it isn't level side to side I need to use my tow vehicle to adjust side to side leveling by moving further up or back down on the leveling ramps under the low side wheels. What do you do if you unhitch, and when you check if level you are not level side to side?

Same here, side to side level before unhitching.
Old 04-29-2022, 07:48 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildmanabe View Post
After backing into site/driving in. 1st thing is check power poll make sure it's off, then hook up 50amp , turn/flip breaker, go inside turn AC on. then proceed to unhook plug from truck, lower front jacks, unhook from king pin, drive truck away with tailgate down. Hit the Auto Level. Lower stairs. Slides out. Water hook up, run hot water faucet, flip switch for electric hot water. Sewer Hook up.
Wash hands and relax in cold ac rv.
PS. Now i'm hungry. Wife says everytime we go camping all's i want to do is eat. lmao.

Is that the voice of experience?

If it is, sorry I don't mean to be laughing!
llibdliw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2022, 08:02 PM   #9

It has not been my practice but checking power first before doing anything else is a good idea. If you find the pedestal to be unsafe/unusable, it's easier to move elsewhere. I hope to adopt that as my standard practice.

But, things being what they are in the time of COVID camping, the likelihood of there being another open site is pretty low. It might just mean dry camping where I am.

Camping nights: 2021, 52; 2022, 99; 2023, 88; 2024, TBD (Est: 80+)

chriscowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2022, 09:25 PM   #10

Back in, grab beer, watch wife set up. No issues.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2022, 11:02 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWolfPaq82 View Post
Back in, grab beer, watch wife set up. No issues.

A sexist would say...

(Yes, I've been watching too much Gutfeld).
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2022, 11:06 PM   #12

Thanks. For all the input. Some great guidance here. I’m learning as I go along and this forum sure helps.
Russellvh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2022, 11:19 PM   #13
WolfPup16FQCT

You are correct:. Side to side level before doing anything.
Old 04-30-2022, 06:21 AM   #14

My neighbor who has a 5th came over to give me tips. First he said from experience was make sure power cord reaches before disconnect. ��
Fishspike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2022, 06:35 AM   #15
MCTroy

FIRST, check electric cord and placement of slides. Do NOT unhook until you are 100% sure everything fits on site. It wasn't a good moment when we were unhooked from hitch, wheels chocked, trailer level... and then electric cord was 6 inches too short! Ugh. Thankfully we had a 30 amp extension but it would have been nice to not dig it out.
MCTroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2022, 09:25 AM   #16

I know this is a dumb question but why do you need to make sure tower is off? We have been in a hurry and have plugged in with the electricity on.
Jkurowskitaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2022, 10:02 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkurowskitaylor View Post
I know this is a dumb question but why do you need to make sure tower is off? We have been in a hurry and have plugged in with the electricity on.
When you plug into a live outlet, if your trailer is also on there will be a spark/ark inside the receptacle. Over time this will cause damage to your plug. So its just a thing to keep in mind.

Jim M.
jimmarako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2022, 10:09 AM   #18

Shore power off when plugging in or out.

In you hands is a 50 amp 220 wire and plug. Your wall outlet is 15 amps 120 volt.

Copper parts to plug in. Touching the wrong place while plugging in could kill you. These big plugs are tricky to plug in. Takes some brute force.

I attach the ems to the shore power cable and plug it in. Then turn the power on.
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2022, 10:20 AM   #19
New here, old elsewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarsbarsCT View Post

What kind of W/D bars would the OP have on a 5ver
Old 04-30-2022, 10:24 AM   #20

Our rule.

Install the most limited item first. For us that is the shore power.

I have twice as much water and sewer hose than we will ever use. 35’ sewer, 50’ water, 30’ shore power.

Trying to plug in first to turn the ac on usually.

Often we do not attach the sewer the first day. Ours only needs weekly draining.
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote