Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-16-2015, 10:23 AM   #1

Wildcat Hitch Help

Looking to upgrade to the Wildcat F262RGX. This will be our first time pulling a fifth wheel and we are looking for some advice as to the best hitch for this size unit. We have a Husky Centerline WDH bumper pull now and have been pleased with that product. We "plan" on this being our long term TT solution so we'd like to buy the right hitch the first time.
Our TV has a 6.5' bed so a slider may be needed. Again, we're not sure if this is necessary or not.
Thanks in advance for the suggestions and ideas
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_4703.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	81.9 KB
ID:	88876  
Currently enjoying second childhood
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 11:03 AM   #2

It's difficult to know if you will need a slider because the corner cutouts of each FW are different. I can get near 90 degrees with my setup (also a 6-1/2' bed) but more if I slide. I chose to get a manual slider installed, just in case.
phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 11:25 AM   #3
Site Team

We got the Curt Q16 with the R16 slider. It has worked flawlessly for us. It has the cushioned head and dual jaws.

One reason I bought it was the 12" slide as opposed to the 10" slide of most units in that range.
Old 09-16-2015, 12:46 PM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

I have a 2014 Wildcat 327ck and my GMC with 6'-6" box. I use a Husky 16K non slider that makes about 90 degrees without touching the cab. But on uneven ground while turning I have touched the edge of the box. Would a slider help? Maybe!
elind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 12:51 PM   #5

Many OPINIONS here. I didn't have a slide...now I have a dent. IMHO get a slider and you have it. I use mine each time I expect to need it...now I don't have to worry. I bought mine used from Craig's list. I got it for a couple hundred. You can find a great deal on a good slider or better yet an automatic.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 01:07 PM   #6
Campfire Master

We have a 327CK attached to a Curt Q20 non-slider. Last hitch was a slider and in 6 years, never used it.

John
AVid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 01:08 PM   #7

Ohhh. One other thing you will want..
A safety catch from butches if it isn't incorporated in your hitch. More peace of mind.

born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 10:21 PM   #8

The Wildcat dealer is including a 16k Husky slider and a frame welded receiver for the bike rack in the price. This could be the end of a great relationship with our Wildwood. Still trying to convince myself to part with the cash as well as nervous about pulling such a large TT. Met the Wildcat rep for our region at the show. He was most convincing about why the Wildcat is the right choice.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	_MG_6540 - Version 2.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	313.5 KB
ID:	89163  
Old 09-26-2015, 09:13 AM   #9

"Canonman"........

The hitch that the dealer is installing sound just fine for your needs.

However, I highly recommend improving your towing experience by investing in an upgrade to the 'pin-box'.

I installed a TrailAir Tri-Glide and "LOVE" it !

No more chucking, the jerk-pulling- back and forth between 5th wheel and truck over miles of roads..... and the airbag absorbs those nasty sudden dips and bumps, the ones that jar your teeth...not to mention saving stress on TV and 5th wheel frame.

Link >click here<

Hope this helps

Islander
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	hitch.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	29.4 KB
ID:	89911  
Edge programmer, 4" SS exhaust turbo/back,
Tru-Cool Max Trans Cooler, Bilstein Shocks
Vancouver Island, B.C., Canada
Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 05:02 PM   #10

Thanks Iskander
Just one more thing to consider that we didn't consider. That's why we ask for advise on this forum.
We much appreciate the feed-back and real life suggestions.
BTW,
Went camping this past weekend looking for some fall color to shoot.
Came up empty. Damed drought
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	_MG_4940 (1).jpg
Views:	126
Size:	416.2 KB
ID:	90152  
Old 09-28-2015, 09:03 PM   #11
Now a "Top Member"

I have a Curt Q20 slider, and have never really needed the slider, even in my current truck (6.5' F-250). That being said, the upgrade to a slider wasn't really that much more in terms of cost, so if you can, get it. PEACE OF MIND!! But remember, the slider is heavier too. Man is it heavy. But I've had it for almost 6 years and it's been trouble free.
Retired AF MSgt

I thought I was wrong once, but I was wrong!
EdJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 06:04 PM   #12
Blog: RVroadtripper.com

I like and own the Andersen Ultimate. See my dig below.
Maxxis 235/80/16E; AirBags w/AirLift1; mor/Ryde Rubber Pinbox; Andersen UltimateII Alum. 5erhitch on Reese Flipball w/Curt 4" offset; LCI Ground Control3; King Dishtailgater; Traveling with 10' Portabote;
hbillsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 07:48 PM   #13

Just bought that exact unit ... love it! Also have 6 1/2' bed bought pullrite slider ... easiest thing I have ever had to hookup and tow! My recommendation is get 5th wheel and slider, you wont regret it
pokechop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 11:20 AM   #14

I have a RAM with a shortbed and a A B&W Companion Slider, I can almost get 90degs with my 295rsx but it gives me piece of mind to know I have it if I need it.
Torch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 03:55 AM   #15

I just ordered a wildcat maxx 312bhx and am also looking at different 5th wheel hitches. The dealer is selling me a pullright super glide automatic slider. But I have doing allot of reading and think that I am going to go with a trailer saver bd3 air hitch. It is much more expensive but I think it will be a better choice for me. The rep at the company told me that the nose of the trailer is designed for short bed trucks and that I may not even need the slider. It is $500 more to order the slider for that hitch. I have a buddy that is a full timer and has had two short bed trucks and has never used his slider.
BCMCpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 11:17 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCMCpig View Post
I just ordered a wildcat maxx 312bhx and am also looking at different 5th wheel hitches. The dealer is selling me a pullright super glide automatic slider. But I have doing allot of reading and think that I am going to go with a trailer saver bd3 air hitch. It is much more expensive but I think it will be a better choice for me. The rep at the company told me that the nose of the trailer is designed for short bed trucks and that I may not even need the slider. It is $500 more to order the slider for that hitch. I have a buddy that is a full timer and has had two short bed trucks and has never used his slider.
Thanks for the heads up. Will be looking at other options beyond the Husky thanks to all the god feedback from the forum!
Old 10-31-2015, 08:34 PM   #17

Air ride hitch is mandatory like a 2nd AC. You will wish you had it and not know how much you was missing.

I have a slider. Haven't had to use it but probably should have when moving another camper but they were the spotter.

This coming year I will get the 2nd AC finally.

arpipeliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 09:00 PM   #18

Have a pull rite since 2010 would not have anything different. With the normal maintenance we have never had any issues.
Rich5117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 01:48 AM   #19

I did also order the second a/c on my wildcat maxx. Update on my hitch choice... I am getting a comfort ride hitch model 214. It was created by the inventor of the Hensley trailersaver that I was going to get. The comfort ride was sold to the current owner Rick. It is basically an updated version of the trailersaver BD3 and uses air cels instead of air bags as well as having a higher tow rating. The hitch head is also very well built. It is pretty much like a Binkley head. Take a look at the website Comfort Ride Hitch - 5th Wheel Air Ride Custom Hitch, Custom Truck And Rv Hitches, Truck Body Parts there is a good video. I am also getting the mounting kit that will work with Ram, Ford, and Chevy/GMC. It can be placed in different positions so that you won't need a slider. If you don't have the OEM under bed system they sell some rails that will do the same thing and fit in standard rails. If you call Rick he will take the time to answer and explain any questions you have.
BCMCpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 12:19 PM   #20

Take a look at the "Anderson ultimate 5th wheel connection" I have been using a Reese slider for years and it has been very good but the slider has play in it causing "chucking' on rough roads. It also weighs over 150 lbs and is hard for me to remove from my truck even with a lift. I have been researching the Anderson hitches and will probably buy one for myself next year. Best price I found was Amazon. Good luck and you will love the fifth wheel pulling compared to a tag along.

sc_cmpr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat, hitch, wildcat