Old 12-03-2016, 01:57 PM   #1

Wildcat Maxx 285RKX

Has anyone purchased this new 285RKX? I am very interested, want any pros and cons

bedelstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 08:49 AM   #2

A couple of pros. Rear kitchen models always have great storage space. The 28RKX has a large fresh water tank which is great for campgrounds without full hookups.

The only thing I didn’t like about the Wildcat rear kitchen we used to own was the fact that to fill the fridge and panty the slideout had to be opened. We had to keep our Wildcat on a storage lot so there were times we couldn’t open the slide all the way.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 09:10 AM   #3

We own a 2016 28RKX. It is our second Wildcat MAXX, the first unit was a 24RG. We had the 24RG for a year, loved it and traded it for the RKX so we would have a couch AND 2 chairs. We replaced the 2 swivel rockers with smaller Lazyboy recliners and now consider the floor plan perfect for our needs. Wife really likes the rear kitchen and so do I. It's neat to have accentually a kitchen, a living area, and a bedroom which do not all overlap each other.
We have found the MAXX to be well constructed, like the curved high ceilings, all the amenities for the $$$. We've had a few quality hiccups but pretty minor and I fixed most of them myself.
The bottom line is we are extremely pleased and happy with the MAXX and would not hesitate to buy a 3rd one if we ever make a change to another TT. If you have any particular/specific questions, don't hesitate to send me a PM. After owning 12 different RV's over the past 30+ years, we have a pretty extensive data base to draw from. All the BEST!
2015 Ram Laramie Hemi, w/air suspension
30 years RV'ing
11 different RV's
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 09:55 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakman View Post
A couple of pros. Rear kitchen models always have great storage space. The 28RKX has a large fresh water tank which is great for campgrounds without full hookups.

The only thing I didn’t like about the Wildcat rear kitchen we used to own was the fact that to fill the fridge and panty the slideout had to be opened. We had to keep our Wildcat on a storage lot so there were times we couldn’t open the slide all the way.
Thank you
Old 12-04-2016, 10:09 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSchleder View Post
We own a 2016 28RKX. It is our second Wildcat MAXX, the first unit was a 24RG. We had the 24RG for a year, loved it and traded it for the RKX so we would have a couch AND 2 chairs. We replaced the 2 swivel rockers with smaller Lazyboy recliners and now consider the floor plan perfect for our needs. Wife really likes the rear kitchen and so do I. It's neat to have accentually a kitchen, a living area, and a bedroom which do not all overlap each other.
We have found the MAXX to be well constructed, like the curved high ceilings, all the amenities for the $$$. We've had a few quality hiccups but pretty minor and I fixed most of them myself.
The bottom line is we are extremely pleased and happy with the MAXX and would not hesitate to buy a 3rd one if we ever make a change to another TT. If you have any particular/specific questions, don't hesitate to send me a PM. After owning 12 different RV's over the past 30+ years, we have a pretty extensive data base to draw from. All the BEST!
Thank you for your time. We also like the 285 because it is a half ton towable with large tanks. Like you said about the recliners we would order that upgrade, my wife would rather have those over the other chair. They have none of these units being new so we went to the dealer last night and priced one out on their order sheet they totaled it out 55,000 and said they could only do 44,000, so we walked on the way they called back with 39,700 so I think we will go back and talk to them today. We are considering living in it at some point and want to make sure we get everything we want. Thanks again.
Old 12-04-2016, 10:23 AM   #6

We have the previous model 282RKX and we love it. But be careful about it being 1/2 towable. Our pin weight is 2000 lbs as measured by a CAT scale. It was loaded only for a weekend trip and no water in any tanks. The pin was 2000 lbs and the axles were 8500 lbs. I don't consider this unit 1/2 ton towable once loaded for travels. We tow ours with a 1-ton SRW and tows great in all weather and no stress.
keizer_or is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 10:35 AM   #7

Thanks don't understand much of that, but they are marketed as 1/2 ton towable uvw of the 285 is 8040 my 14 150 is rated at 9200. Won't be pulled a lot at first I am in the Navy and are considering living in it.
Old 12-04-2016, 10:41 AM   #8

They are 1/2-ton towable when they leave the factory but once you load all your stuff in it to live in it you will put your 1/2-ton pickup over weight. The payload capacity of your pickup is not likely high enough to carry the pin weight of the unit plus you have said your tow capacity is 9200 lbs and our unit weights 10,500 total going down the road with no water in it. Just be careful with the idea it is 1/2-ton towable and I don't feel they are once loaded for your travels.
keizer_or is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 10:46 AM   #9
Oklahoma Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by bedelstein View Post
Thanks don't understand much of that, but they are marketed as 1/2 ton towable uvw of the 285 is 8040 my 14 150 is rated at 9200. Won't be pulled a lot at first I am in the Navy and are considering living in it.
What they are saying is you arnt going to camp with it unloaded. Plus after first hooking it up to city water, all your pipes and water heater tank will have water in them that add weight.
The max weight of the trailer GVWR is over 11,500 lbs and the unloaded pin weight is over 1400 lbs. Most f150s have a payload right around that weight. So after a couple people get in the truck your over weight, but probably will be overloaded after adding a few things in the camper as well.
You need to look in your door jam on your truck and see the payload by the tire info. I've seen some fx4 f150s that had 1135 lb payloads.
Regardless, if you get this trailer you will probably either hate towing it or be shopping for a bigger truck before long.
MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 10:47 AM   #10
Oklahoma Proud

Here's the specs shown on the website
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1480866423275.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	41.9 KB
ID:	126146  
MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 11:08 AM   #11

I'll jump in here and state that the 282RKX being a 5th wheel will definitely take you above the load carrying (payload) capacity of your 1500 pickup. There is a yellow sticker on the drivers door/jam that states the pay load of your exact truck. Please read it and understand the trailer pin weight, plus anything else that will be in your truck when towing. Add people, dogs, cargo both inside the truck and in the truck bed. Now add all these things up and compare them to the yellow sticker data on your truck. I believe, unfortunately, that you will be well over the pay load of any 1500 (half ton) truck made.
This is an important factor/number to understand when matching any travel trailer or 5th wheel to the truck that will be towing it. Good luck, be safe, and THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE!
2015 Ram Laramie Hemi, w/air suspension
30 years RV'ing
11 different RV's
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 11:36 AM   #12
Site Team

Unless your 150 has the HD Payload package, you'll be over on pin weight.
Half Ton Towable is a marketing ploy.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 12:06 PM   #13

Thank you all for the help. I am going to jump in with the f150 and see how it goes like I said it will be parked most of the time until I retire from the Navy. If I have to upgrade I will.
Old 12-04-2016, 01:07 PM   #14

Quote:
Thank you all for the help. I am going to jump in with the f150 and see how it goes like I said it will be parked most of the time until I retire from the Navy. If I have to upgrade I will.
I agree with your philosophy of wait and see. Back in the days when the WildcatOwnersForum was still around we had a number of owners using ½ ton pickups to haul their fifth wheels and they were satisfied with the performance. If you feel you don’t have enough truck you can always upgrade to a ¾ or 1 ton truck.

One thing I like about your RK layout is the open floorplan. Many units now have a center kitchen island that can make the fifth wheel feel smaller than it actually is once you start living in them.

One small thing I really liked and miss is the CTS in the rear kitchen of the Wildcat. Also, if Wildcat offers the option for a 10 gallon water heater, go for it.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
ATU Local 788
Old 12-05-2016, 05:58 PM   #15

Hey all just an update, I bought the 285RKX there were none on the lot so we ordered it picked all our colors and options. Very exciting
Old 12-05-2016, 06:05 PM   #16

Congrats on your purchase. I hope you have many great trips with it.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
ATU Local 788
Old 12-05-2016, 06:43 PM   #17

Thank you. Are there books and apps that I should look into that help with traveling?
Old 12-05-2016, 07:12 PM   #18
win

Congrats
You will love it
I have a older wildcat 2008 28rk
Ordered it with 10 gallon HW tank,
16" wheels, Garden windows.
The rear kitchen is nice except you have to extend the slide to load up the fridge "oh" and watch ur tv when you extend out your slide, my tv fell forward and I wasn't very pleased with myself when I heard a crunch!!
But your layout maybe slightly different
I'm a little envious lol
Enjoy
win is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 08:41 PM   #19

Thank you
Old 12-06-2016, 07:35 AM   #20

Quote:
Thank you. Are there books and apps that I should look into that help with traveling?
Apps that I have on my smartphone are; Weather Bug, Radar Now, Gas Buddy, RV Parky, Antenna Helper, Digital Compass, Trucker Path, Big Truck Stops, and the Forest River Forum app.

We have been to plenty of campgrounds over the years where a cell phone signal was non-existent so I always have a hard copy of a campground directory with me for planning our next stop. I also have a book called The Next Exit which I find useful when traveling on Interstate Highways.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
ATU Local 788

Tags
cat, wildcat