Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-27-2018, 08:04 PM   #1

Wildcat thoughts

Thinking about buying a Wildcat 28WB. Any owners out there with one. Anything bad?
Jackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 09:12 AM   #2

Hi all. New here from Southeast Michigan. Looking to upgrade and am looking at a Forest River Wildcat 28WB. Any current owners of Wildcats comments are welcome. Thank you, Jackman
Jackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 03:07 PM   #3
wde
Life long camper

2017 Wildcat 28BH

So far, these are my issues with the Wildcat 28BH we bought new in 2017.
1. Leaking Black water flush system which the dealer did not fix, they actually were looking at the wrong end of the black tank.
2. Blow out on one of the OEM (Towmaster) tires which caused $3200 in damage.
3. Air conditioner would lock up and not cool (dealer had no clue what to do)
4. Furnace is not blowing correctly in the bedroom and bath as well as the vent under the steps leading to bedroom and bath. (haven't had the heart to carry to dealer yet)
5. Cable connection to bedroom not working and the satellite connectors not working at any outlit.(same deal, no desire to go to dealer)

So, all that being said, if you can live with poor quality and craftsmanship and be prepared to repair yourself............happy camping.

wde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 11:39 PM   #4

I bought my Wildcat 25rl in 2011 and had few problems that were minor. only 1 bad tire blowout due to some construction debris in the road. just last month put new tires on it to replace the 9 year old original tires. I did a boo boo once by forgetting the step and snagging the corner of the storage building with them but I repaired them. Had a leak in the skylight over the dining table which I repaired myself. (never ever will I get one with a skylight in a slide again) but I'm good at repairing and doing mods on my stuff even so I have never taken it to a dealer for repair and never will. My first fifth wheel I bought was built by Four Winds and I had that one over 35 years. I forgot to mention that all In all we love our Wildcat.....

2001 Ford F-350 DRW 7.3
2011 25 RL Wildcat
former fiver 1976 Fourwinds had for 35 years
onetonford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 11:54 PM   #5

Dw and I love our 32 WB
Chascin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 12:13 AM   #6

We have a 29RLS 5'er and we have not had many problems, some loose screws, the couch cushions ripped but were replaced under warranty. The biggest I have been having the the landing gear switch keeps getting mud in it and shorting out. We love it so far, no issues with tires. Just took a 1200+ mile trip to the Grand Canyon and no issues other than frozen kitchen sink. Which ever camper you buy you are going to have some issues, nature of the beast. I know people who have bought million $ plus buses and have had 10x more problems then we have had with our Wildcat.
corocky1998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 09:10 AM   #7

Wildcat

We have a 2017 wildcat SGX and love it. It’s at the dealer now for warranty work. We found a one inch crack on fender skirt and they are replacing it. While I was trying to move recliner my fingernails dug in and ripped seam under arm, they are replacing recliner. Our model does not have kitchen island so our 2 large dogs have plenty of room. So far so good!
paddywagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 09:50 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by wde View Post
So far, these are my issues with the Wildcat 28BH we bought new in 2017.
1. Leaking Black water flush system which the dealer did not fix, they actually were looking at the wrong end of the black tank.
2. Blow out on one of the OEM (Towmaster) tires which caused $3200 in damage.
3. Air conditioner would lock up and not cool (dealer had no clue what to do)
4. Furnace is not blowing correctly in the bedroom and bath as well as the vent under the steps leading to bedroom and bath. (haven't had the heart to carry to dealer yet)
5. Cable connection to bedroom not working and the satellite connectors not working at any outlit.(same deal, no desire to go to dealer)

So, all that being said, if you can live with poor quality and craftsmanship and be prepared to repair yourself............happy camping.

Sounds like a typical unit built by any company in the RV industry.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 06:08 PM   #9

Got rid of our 2014 Wildcat FW after one year. Too many issues, although FR did offer to bring it to the factory. I can't imagine KS would do the same.
phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 06:59 AM   #10
RwWildcat327re

2017 wildcat 327re 1 minor issue I fixed myself. Trouble free since.
rickndebi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 07:16 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackman View Post
Thinking about buying a Wildcat 28WB. Any owners out there with one. Anything bad?

Like Cavie said, it is a crap shoot in the RV industry. You may get one with a few problems or you may get one with a lot of problems but you won’t get one that is problem free. Thank God that my Wildcat has had a few problems. We bought it new in 2016 and we love it. If it continues to hold up, it will be a long time before we trade it in.
Old 04-14-2019, 05:41 PM   #12

I had a 2017 model year in 2016, Wildcat 262GX (?) and traded it in a year later on a Sprinter class C. The furniture in the unit was absolutely miserable and uncomfortable. I had issues with the landing gear blowing fuses for no reason from the outside switch. the 12 volt battery is underpowered for the system if you were dry camping, so took out 12V and added to 6V gold cart batteries. Exterior graphics don't hold up well in the sun and you see a lot of fading on the unit, overall. Another person on this forum bought the unit I had and he may be adding on to issues he has had, so I will not speak for him. I think the Wildcat is asking a lot of money, but you are not getting a quality product anymore. Understand, this was my position and it may be different for others. My problem is that I ams always comparing any 5th wheel today to the 3 Alpenlites I had in the past. Good luck
2008 Jeep JKS
Ready Brute Elite / Blue Ox BP
High Desert is offline   Reply With Quote