Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-28-2016, 07:50 PM   #1

Wood frig door panel falls out!

We have a Dometic 2 door refrig/freezer in our MAXX. The bottom black plastic strip on the frig door that holds the wood panel in place has 4 or 5 tangs that snap into holes in the door to hold it onto the door. The wood panel on the door is rather heavy and on bumpy roads the weight of the wood panel causes the black plactic strip to come "unclipped". This allows the wood panel to slide downward out of the side channels that hold it to the door. If you don't notice the bottom plastic strip is unclipped, the wood panel simply slides out the bottom of the door when it's opened and the bottom edge of the wood panel hits the floor, or worse yet, your foot/toe.
I know I can put several silicone adhesive dabs on the back of the wood piece or the actual face of the door and accentually glue the wood panel to the frig door. This however is probably not the best situation if the wood door face would ever need to be replaced.
Anyone had a similar issue and have a solution other than "gluing" the wood to the door? Thanks in advance! Ron
2015 Ram Laramie Hemi, w/air suspension
30 years RV'ing
11 different RV's
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 10:23 PM   #2

Yes, I've had it happen, too. All I did was use Silicon adhesive (Goop brand) on that worthless bottom strip that keeps coming unclipped. Yes, I will have to probably break the bottom plastic strip to get out the door panel, but that is not likely a real expensive part.

I haven't had the problem in over a year after this fix.

Joel
joelabq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 10:38 PM   #3

Yep, happened to me. I used that Gorilla glue and liberally covered the back of the wood panel and installed it and the plastic clip across the bottom. Helps to unclip the top and insert the panel downward.
Blackrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 08:23 AM   #4

Thank you for your inputs. Your solutions are exactly the ones I considered and I"m going to use silicone to glue the plastic strip on the door. Thanks again!
2015 Ram Laramie Hemi, w/air suspension
30 years RV'ing
11 different RV's
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 09:07 AM   #5

We installed Real Wood panels on a 2 door Frig on our previous unit. Due to the weight of the panels I routed a section out of the bottom panel Heavy One! and screwed & Glued a STOP on the door,I then removed the Top Plastic clip and Slid the Wood panel down to the installed Stop and reinstalled the Top Clip! Never again to fall Down and Out on the Floor! Some MFG use FAKE WOOD plastic panels that are Very light! Youroo!!
Old 02-29-2016, 12:22 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSchleder View Post
We have a Dometic 2 door refrig/freezer in our MAXX. The bottom black plastic strip on the frig door that holds the wood panel in place has 4 or 5 tangs that snap into holes in the door to hold it onto the door. The wood panel on the door is rather heavy and on bumpy roads the weight of the wood panel causes the black plactic strip to come "unclipped". This allows the wood panel to slide downward out of the side channels that hold it to the door. If you don't notice the bottom plastic strip is unclipped, the wood panel simply slides out the bottom of the door when it's opened and the bottom edge of the wood panel hits the floor, or worse yet, your foot/toe.
I know I can put several silicone adhesive dabs on the back of the wood piece or the actual face of the door and accentually glue the wood panel to the frig door. This however is probably not the best situation if the wood door face would ever need to be replaced.
Anyone had a similar issue and have a solution other than "gluing" the wood to the door? Thanks in advance! Ron
Put some silicone at bottom edge of wood panel this will stop it from sliding or double stick tape this will hold weight off the trim pieces.
Myrle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 02:15 PM   #7

I had the same problem. I took the bottom plastic trim off& located 2 or3 dowl pins in door frame.I pulled them out to support the wooden face as they had moved in to door frame. Never had a problem since. Good luck.
shark13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 02:53 PM   #8

Had same problem some years ago. Ended up having to put in a couple of short sheet metal screws to replace the posts. One RV tech told me that there were some wood panels made of "softer" wood that lost the retaining edge over time. In any case haven't had the problem in that last 2 or 3 years.
RubberNail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 03:26 PM   #9

You might also consider a small piece of double side-sided carpet tape (glue both sides). I would take a strip of this maybe 4"- 6" long and placed horizontally at the bottom of the panel at the center. Slide the panel into place while bowing it out with a small wedge as the tape starts comes up to the bottom of the fridge door, When it is positioned, remove the wedge and allow the tape to contact the door and press it firm. Replace the bottom trim. This tape holds really well, but it can be removed by sliding a thin putty knife or dry wall taping knife between the door and the panel. A carpet layer or carpet store would probably give you a small piece.
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 11:32 AM   #10
Jeffco, MO

We had the same problem with our Wildcat. At the Goshen rally the tech said it was an easy fix. He used liquid nails on the back of the wood panel. Used duct tape to hold it in place for a day. Next day, tape came off and the door panel never fell off again. The small weak plastic trim on the bottom was for decoration and not to hold the heavy wood panel.

Mary & Ted
2016 Silverback 33IK
2015 GMC Sierra 2500HD CrewCab Diesel/Super Glide Hitch
Days camped 09 -53, 10 -56, 11 -57, 12 - 55, 13 - 46, 14 - 50, 15 - 60, 16 -32
7 FROG Rallies (Goshen(4), Charleston, Amana(2))
tedstr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door