Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-16-2020, 10:26 AM   #1

179 DBK Pleated window shades

We purchased a 2020 Wildwood 179 DBK Platinum last year. Have had it out about 9 times. Love almost everything about it, except the pleated window shades on the main widow and the window near the main bed. They are pretty much worthless...can't be raised or lowered without the pleats folding in the wrong places, etc.

Anyone else out there had the same experience and if yes, were you able to resolve it? Any suggestions where to look for mini-blinds for this trailer.

Thanks!
SteveCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 10:52 AM   #2

I have a large rear window in mine... ?? 76" I think. It is the only one I cannot raise and lower without serious effort. I end-up not opening it as the hassle isn't worth the effort.
I have no answer, but I will be watching to learn.
The box store replacement is too small without a custom(read high $) shade... therefore it is still there.
Adjusting the string tension will assist with ease of operation, but I am pretty sure that will not help the pleats alignment. I think keeping them all the way open helps with the pleats, but allows sun to damage interior.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 11:20 AM   #3

Yes very easy,MCD Day-Night roller shades! Youroo!!
Old 06-17-2020, 07:00 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwannacamp View Post
I have a large rear window in mine... ?? 76" I think. It is the only one I cannot raise and lower without serious effort. I end-up not opening it as the hassle isn't worth the effort.
I have no answer, but I will be watching to learn.
The box store replacement is too small without a custom(read high $) shade... therefore it is still there.
Adjusting the string tension will assist with ease of operation, but I am pretty sure that will not help the pleats alignment. I think keeping them all the way open helps with the pleats, but allows sun to damage interior.
Thanks Iwannacamp,

You've described the same frustration that we feel. The DBK has a very large window by the kitchen table and I would love to be able to have the shade/blinds open, but it is a real hassle to try to open it. As you said, we don't even mess with it. I will try to adjust the string tension though to see if that helps.

Thanks for your response!

StveCAmn
SteveCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 07:43 AM   #5
Part-Time Campground Host

We replaced every window shade in our camper with these. The come in widths up to 72". Easy up and down and are much better built than the stock shades.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/allen-roth-...-in/1000846536
Equalizer Hitch w/4-Point Sway Control

Days camped since 2015(retirement): 1687
cboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 12:53 PM   #6

We spent over an hour adjusting the tension on the large window shade by the booth. To much and it binds up and is hard to move to little and the pleats don't fold up correctly. After finding the happy medium we have not had any issues with it at all. The escape window by the sofa was working correctly from the start and used the tension on it as a guide to the big one. Hope it helps

2019 Salem FSX 179DBK
firemedicmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 04:46 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveCam View Post
We purchased a 2020 Wildwood 179 DBK Platinum last year. Have had it out about 9 times. Love almost everything about it, except the pleated window shades on the main widow and the window near the main bed. They are pretty much worthless...can't be raised or lowered without the pleats folding in the wrong places, etc.

Anyone else out there had the same experience and if yes, were you able to resolve it? Any suggestions where to look for mini-blinds for this trailer.

Thanks!
These folks have endless options for 76" blinds.

https://www.blinds.com/p/blindscom-premium-light-filtering-roller-shade/529738
boogiejack75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 09:33 PM   #8

Quote:

Thanks!
Over the last couple years I replaced almost all my string blinds with cordless blinds. Some were from Menards (which fit right out of the box) to a number of them from Home Depot which were custom cut and in one case fully custom made (for the bedroom - total blackout - top down/bottom up) which was fairly expensive, but, not terrible (around $140 or so). Where we didn't need the top down feature, I saved money by only using the bottom up. Installation was not difficult, but, just time consuming to make sure everything fit right and the valances went back on correctly. Funny thing, though, I had to order a part for my Menard's blind and when I went to the company, they had all my information from my order from Home Depot as well. They were actually very helpful and sent me the extra part for free. So, maybe no matter who you order from, it comes from the same factory/company, even though the brand names are different on the boxes. The only major (if you can call it that) modifications were to make small shims for the new blind hangers, which I made from lattice boards, and I did change some of the screws on the valances to work better. I am so glad I got these replacements for the stringed ones. No more fighting with strings, clips and sideways blind pleats. And they have withstood the bouncing down the road. BTW can you recycle the materials in the old string shades? Mainly the strings are worn and I don't have the patience (nor would I want to) restring them. If I can't recycle them, I will have to just pitch them.
ProfChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 06:05 AM   #9

Quote:

Thanks!
We bought a 2020 FSXRT with the same shades, junked them after 2 trips, installed roller blackout shades ordered from Home Depot to replace. Custom sizes, easy install, under $200 for all.
50panhead is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
window