Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-25-2011, 10:20 PM   #1

2012 wildwood 26 tbss

I'm looking at getting my very first TT. I was wanting to know if any of you had an opinion on this particular trailer. I have a family of four and I'm sure some other friends or relatives will want to stay in it with us, this is the reason I'm looking at a bunk house model. The thing I'm unsure of is that it has a dry weight of 5880 lbs and I'll be towing it with a F-150 with a 4.6l engine. I'm pretty sure the truck is rated at 6100 lbs towing capacity. I don't want to be unsafe. I am very new at this so any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Brownrj237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 10:40 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brownrj237 View Post
I'm looking at getting my very first TT. I was wanting to know if any of you had an opinion on this particular trailer. I have a family of four and I'm sure some other friends or relatives will want to stay in it with us, this is the reason I'm looking at a bunk house model. The thing I'm unsure of is that it has a dry weight of 5880 lbs and I'll be towing it with a F-150 with a 4.6l engine. I'm pretty sure the truck is rated at 6100 lbs towing capacity. I don't want to be unsafe. I am very new at this so any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Have you checked out Prime Time Manufacturing. www.primetimerv.com ? They make a great TT in their Tracer, Lacrosse and new Avenger. Check them out. The Tracer 2900 BHS & 2910 BHS are light weight bunkhouse models under 5500 lbs. And, the 2910 BHS has an outside kitchen also. Check out the Prime Time section of this forum for comments from other happy Prime Time owners.
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 10:51 PM   #3
Site Team

when you say "dry" weight, is that what the sticker or plate on the trailer says or is that what the brochure says.
usually the weight of the trailer from the factory, is called the "UVW" or unloaded vehicle weight. "dry" weight usually is a stripped down weight without the weight of options, like the spare tire, a/c, microwave, awning and so on.

even if the UVW is 5880lbs. and your tow max is only 6100lbs., then you'll easily be maxed out before you load any cargo. a battery will add 40lbs., propane will add another 40lbs. and a tank of fresh water will add at least 500lbs.
this is all before you've added cargo. and most recommend only towing at 80% of max capacity.
plus, whatever is in the truck, other than a 150lb. driver, will reduce that 6100 number by its weight.
so, say Mom weighs 150 and Dad and the kids total 400lbs.
then the tow capacity is lowered by 400lbs., bringing it down to 5700. add the 100lbs. for the WDH and you're down to only having 5600lbs. of tow capacity.

IMHO, too much trailer for your truck.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 11:10 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan
when you say "dry" weight, is that what the sticker or plate on the trailer says or is that what the brochure says.
usually the weight of the trailer from the factory, is called the "UVW" or unloaded vehicle weight. "dry" weight usually is a stripped down weight without the weight of options, like the spare tire, a/c, microwave, awning and so on.

even if the UVW is 5880lbs. and your tow max is only 6100lbs., then you'll easily be maxed out before you load any cargo. a battery will add 40lbs., propane will add another 40lbs. and a tank of fresh water will add at least 500lbs.
this is all before you've added cargo. and most recommend only towing at 80% of max capacity.
plus, whatever is in the truck, other than a 150lb. driver, will reduce that 6100 number by its weight.
so, say Mom weighs 150 and Dad and the kids total 400lbs.
then the tow capacity is lowered by 400lbs., bringing it down to 5700. add the 100lbs. for the WDH and you're down to only having 5600lbs. of tow capacity.

IMHO, too much trailer for your truck.
"Dry" weight is on the print out the salesman gave me and is also on the brochure. That's what I was worried about. I actually liked the redwood 2604 better according to the brochures it's lighter but my wife is more concerned about the pricing.
Brownrj237 is offline   Reply With Quote