Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-01-2018, 05:18 PM   #1

2017 Wildwood Porch Lights Work Only With Remote

I'm posting the problem and the solution. Brand new unit, first trip out. I played with my 7 color light strip with the remote. Had lots of fun doing it too. Went to bed and flipped the switch to turn them off. Woke in the middle of the night to find them on. Seems the switch wasn't working, only the remote. I thought that was pretty weird. I used a volt meter and there was power at all sorts of places and the switch tested fine.

Turns out there are 2 remotes for the lights. One for the color change and one as part of the multi remote that works the slide out and stabilizers. I turned off the inside switch and turned on the lights with the color change remote. Then I turned the lights off with the main multi remote. Now the inside switch works again. I hope this helps someone.

Someone should really work with the dealers to explain some of these features.

God Bless
ST
souLTower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 07:53 AM   #2

Good info, I have a salem and had a similar issue, couldn't get those lights to turn on no matter what I did... After my first trip out, I had a battery issue (dealer hooked it up with a lot of electrical tape covering the terminals, so, it was making intermittent connection), once I fixed that, never had an issue with the lights again. I bet that it was actually some sequence of what you described that was my issue though and it reset when the battery was disconnected/reconnected. I never use the lippert remote of those lights now, so, I haven't had the issue again.

Thanks for the update though, I'll know what to try if it happens again!
Orlando bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 09:53 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando bull View Post
Good info, I have a salem and had a similar issue, couldn't get those lights to turn on no matter what I did... After my first trip out, I had a battery issue (dealer hooked it up with a lot of electrical tape covering the terminals, so, it was making intermittent connection), once I fixed that, never had an issue with the lights again. I bet that it was actually some sequence of what you described that was my issue though and it reset when the battery was disconnected/reconnected. I never use the lippert remote of those lights now, so, I haven't had the issue again.

Thanks for the update though, I'll know what to try if it happens again!
ST, thanks so much! You just solved the mystery of the year for our 2017 Salem!
I remember pushing the light bulb button on the multi function remote thinking it would backlight the remote. From then on, I could only turn the outside lights on with the color change remote! All's well with the world now!
Old 05-02-2018, 10:53 AM   #4

Glad I could help!
souLTower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 11:06 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by souLTower View Post
I'm posting the problem and the solution. Brand new unit, first trip out. I played with my 7 color light strip with the remote. Had lots of fun doing it too. Went to bed and flipped the switch to turn them off. Woke in the middle of the night to find them on. Seems the switch wasn't working, only the remote. I thought that was pretty weird. I used a volt meter and there was power at all sorts of places and the switch tested fine.

Turns out there are 2 remotes for the lights. One for the color change and one as part of the multi remote that works the slide out and stabilizers. I turned off the inside switch and turned on the lights with the color change remote. Then I turned the lights off with the main multi remote. Now the inside switch works again. I hope this helps someone.

Someone should really work with the dealers to explain some of these features.

God Bless
ST
Those multicolor strips are very problem prone. Mine failed within a couple months and 2 trips. Several friends with them experienced the same thing. IMHO, they're a gimmick and have no place on an RV. A standard white strip with an on/off switch is a much better option- which mine now has. You start introducing all of these remotes with circuit boards (really cheap ones, mind you) and you're just asking for trouble.
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light, wildwood, remote