Old 12-17-2019, 09:17 PM   #1
2020 FR Wildwood 263BHXL

2020 Wildwood Xlite Bumper

Hello, just picked up and now storing my for the winter our new Wildwood Xlite 263Bh.
Question in regards to the rear bumper on these things. I have a spare tire from dealer mounted on the 4x4 bumper. I want to add a receiver, so I can use my Thule bike rack with two bikes. All over RV forums says these bumpers are barley welded on. Should I proceed with my intention?
Iíve seen the Mount n Lock bolt on safety struts. Now I hear that will void my chassis warranty if I use those.
Why would a MFG attach a bumper that is worthless?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	73108F0F-46B2-4D9B-87F7-F60CA9DED3B1.jpeg
Views:	86
Size:	204.5 KB
ID:	220697  

JMMP9MM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 09:27 PM   #2

Wildwood XLITE!!! They make it light and cheap then cover themselves with a sticker and a disclaimer. A lot of the root cause IMHO is people want a bigger better equipped trailer but want the unit to weigh less. Jay

Old 12-17-2019, 11:24 PM   #3
Site Team

Manufacturers attach a weakly welded thin metal bumper for show.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 01:54 AM   #4

basically to prevent back wall damage if you creep into something as your backing into a campsite. That's about all most are good for. I see people mounting stuff on their bumpers and getting away with it and other post thread about stuff breaking their bumpers welds.

If I were going to do it, It would be after going to a frame shop and having them take a look at whats there, beef up the bumper and supports by welding up some structure and support for whatever my needs were.
Old 12-18-2019, 05:14 AM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyGus View Post
basically to prevent back wall damage if you creep into something as your backing into a campsite. That's about all most are good for. I see people mounting stuff on their bumpers and getting away with it and other post thread about stuff breaking their bumpers welds.

If I were going to do it, It would be after going to a frame shop and having them take a look at whats there, beef up the bumper and supports by welding up some structure and support for whatever my needs were.
But doing such a mod, will void the frame warranty, if there are problems.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH
Old 12-18-2019, 05:57 AM   #6
2020 FR Wildwood 263BHXL

Ok, I figured as much. We bought this thing to use and abuse it. The warranty is only a year. So I may just say screw it and start modifying to my needs.
JMMP9MM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 04:17 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMMP9MM View Post
Ok, I figured as much. We bought this thing to use and abuse it. The warranty is only a year. So I may just say screw it and start modifying to my needs.
There are literally thousands of threads about bikes on the rear bumper, on the Forum.
Personally, my bikes are too valuable to put them in a vulnerable place, where I can't see them. If I didn't have a truck to put them in, I'd go with a tongue-mount rack system. Much more safer and more visible to the owner.
Equalizer WDH
Old 12-19-2019, 11:19 AM   #8

Last summer I saw a TT with a bike rack mounted on the front above the propane tanks. It's called a Trailer tongue bike rack.
Camping
2017- 27 days,2018- 100 days, 2019- 35 days
RitaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 01:20 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RitaB View Post
Last summer I saw a TT with a bike rack mounted on the front above the propane tanks. It's called a Trailer tongue bike rack.
There are a number of tongue mount rack systems out there. Arvika, Stromberg-Carlson Bike Bunk, Lippert Jack-it, Swagman Straddler, Up-N-Front are all such systems.
Equalizer WDH
Old 12-24-2019, 06:55 PM   #10

If you look around this forum their are a ton of posts and plenty of members (such as myself) that have the safety struts and have been using them for some time with no issues.

You can't expect miracles but for a basic cargo carrier or bike rack I can confidently say I would expect no issues as long as you adhere to the specs on the safety struts.
Fargo, ND
Hekdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 11:47 AM   #11
Tundra 2014

Bumper mount

As others said, only use of rear bumper is stinky slinky storage. Actually too small for connects on mine. The spare tire is about as much weight as it will handle. I have used the add on brackets you showed and they work ok on my trailer w/ a 2 Kuat bike rack. If you look under the trailer, you will see even the frame rails are pretty thin to weld to. I went the welded route w/ a "H" frame on an earlier single axel TT and found the bikes bounced so bad they were self destructing. Tying in 10 bungies later, we wearable to get home w/o losing anything. The trailer tongue bike rack might be a better solution. There is so much leverage on a large bike rack w/ heavy bikes to be stable IMO and experience.

Tundra 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lite, wildwood