Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-29-2012, 04:16 PM   #1

26TBSS aluminum finish after power washing

I may be in a bit of a pickle here...

After many attempts to remove some impossible stains on the side of my trailer, I decided to use my pressure washer. It did a fantastic job removing the stains, so good in fact that I decided to wash the rest of the trailer with it. I was careful to avoid the decals, used a wider pattern nozzle, and kept it at least a foot or two away from the trailer while washing.

The trailer looked great - until it dried. I noticed that the finish was somewhat dull. In addition, I had some white residue that came off when I wiped the side in a few spots.

I will say that I also cleaned the roof - no matter what I use cleaning the roof always results in a bunch of white/grey muck running down the sides of the trailer. So this could explain the dull finish and the white residue.

Of course, the other possibility is that I managed to blow off the clear coat on the trailer, and the paint is now coming off. This is not good.

I am looking for someone to confirm what I fear may have happened, and then if this is so, what options I have at this point.

Thanks!

Chris C.
clifford911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 04:49 PM   #2

.Sure its clearcoatj? I had my RV clearcoat repaired after small cracks found. Done by fiberglas body shop. Glas will absorb water and fail. You don't want that! Wii swell, bubble, delaminate erc.

"You should sand down to paint before adding a new coat of clearcoat

Answer: There is nothing wrong with putting a new coat of clear over old, as long as it is well sanded , and the underlying clearcoat is in sound condition. It is necessary to do it when spot- repairing a clear -over- base."
Para phrased from a paint vendor on the web.......
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 05:02 PM   #3

Well, I'm not 100% sure what type of finish is on the trailer. It is an aluminum sided trailer, not fiberglass. I assume there is supposed to be some sort of sealer / clear coat over top of the painted aluminum. I'm looking for info on what should be there, what I may have removed with my over zealous cleaning, and how I should put it back on if I did.
Old 07-29-2012, 06:29 PM   #4
Site Team

using a pressure washer on a fiberglass or aluminum-sided TT is not a good idea, which you've found out.

you might want to contact a local RV shop that's done repairs on such trailers.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 07:28 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifford911
Well, I'm not 100% sure what type of finish is on the trailer. It is an aluminum sided trailer, not fiberglass. I assume there is supposed to be some sort of sealer / clear coat over top of the painted aluminum. I'm looking for info on what should be there, what I may have removed with my over zealous cleaning, and how I should put it back on if I did.
Not sure of build year cause that affects paint condition. I waterblasted a 8 year old smooth sided fiberbglas unit cause like yours, it was picking up stains. I was careful and it cleaned up, the paint was "dead" and could not be restored.

Your paint could be Acrylic, Urethane or Clear coat. Clear coat is a current option of FR and others and costs 8-10K as a paint option.

Either way, don't think your water spray caused your paint damage as is. Seems llike the Sun did the paint in. BTY, acrylic is water based, very popular. Like the other post, I'd suggest gettin a couple quotes, probably need to soon anyway. Both paints come with high gloss finish.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 07:53 PM   #6

Thank you all for the information. Mine is a 2008 model year if that makes a difference with the available paint options.

A bit of good news - after mulling over the issue for awhile, I decided to try a little wax. I good coat of wax in the affected areas seemed to brighten the shine and take away the dull appearance. I have never waxed the unit since I bought it new. Perhaps I managed to clear off whatever polish/wax was still on it from the manufacturer? Down side is that I had to spend my entire Sunday waxing the RV (so much for saving time with the power washer).

I will give a call to my dealer/shop tomorrow and see what they recommend. For now, the wax seems to be an improvement. Perhaps all is not lost...

No more power washer on the RV. Duly noted.

Thanks again,
Chris C.
Old 07-29-2012, 08:01 PM   #7

sounds like a good cleaner wax will do the job, the aluminum trailers will chaulk if you don't wax them
davidjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 08:08 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidjb View Post
sounds like a good cleaner wax will do the job, the aluminum trailers will chaulk if you don't wax them
Good info - my wax job today was kind of quick and dirty - I'll need to take a couple of days to do it the right way. That just may do it. But we're heading out to Cape Cod next weekend so the quick job will have to do for now.

I'll give the wax a try first, and then if no luck, I'll see about a paint job.

I'm feeling a little better about this Crappy feeling when you think you may have royally messed something up! Thanks again everyone for chiming in!

Chris C.
Old 07-29-2012, 09:00 PM   #9

If you get a chance try Lyndseys resturant on the cranberry highway in East Whareham (before you go over the bridge) good food.
davidjb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
26tbss