Old 02-19-2020, 03:32 PM   #1

31KQBTS

Hi All. I've ordered & am getting ready to take delivery of a new 31KQBTS triple slide bunkhouse. I'm overly excited about my new coach. Just wondering if folks have had any major issues, or common issues with this model or Wildwood in general after having them awhile. Thanks in advance.

emoore613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 09:33 AM   #2

Welcome t the forum its a great place to get your questions answered. As a group I have not heard of any major issues all rigs have similar problems sort of a crap shoot one person gets one and never experiences any problems and the next has problems. good luck

2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 02:07 PM   #3

31KQBTS

I just took delivery of mine 2 weeks ago today. Its in the middle of winter so we haven't gone camping but I have opened it up a couple times to show people and to load it back up from the stuff from our old camper. We had a hybrid with tent beds, so this is a huge upgrade. We loved being able to send the kids to an actual bunkhouse and close the door.

But its a heavy beast, I was towing the old one with a half ton suburban, and that tow rating was 9000 lbs. This camper is 8500 dry. I decided it would be safer to just buy a 3/4 ton truck, I'm picking it up tomorrow.

Anyway on to the good and bad. So far it seems well built for a travel trailer. The floors seem solid, and the overall build quality is good. It really opens up with the slides out, but when they are in, it would be hard to get to the bathroom. Also I'm not sure if you are supposed to walk on the slides when they are in, if someone has any info on that, please let me know, but they flex when I did so I didn't want to do that anymore. You also can't open the bunkhouse door unless the far side slide is open.

I love the folding stairs, they are so much more sturdy and have a much wider footprint than the old style that just folds out from under the camper, they are a little more awkward but worth it to not shake the camper every time you walk in. I bought mine from general RV, and they sell theirs with the lippert electric stabalizer jacks, which is another cool feature, but I liked the other ones that came with jt strong arms on the jack. I may see if I can add jt strong arms to mine if the camper seems like it needs it. However, I don't know if those are a factory option or something general rv adds, but after I took delivery of the camper, the jacks suddenly quit working, but 2 days prior they had worked during the walk through. I called general rv and they sent someone out to look at it. I had checked the fuses and everything I could think of, but the repair guy checked the fuses and found out that the fuse marked as furnace was out, but the furnace was in fact working. I had checked the fuse that was marked stabilizers, so who knows if any are labeled right. I also don't know what someone did to them to blow the fuse in between the time I walked through and when they delivered it the same day. Apart from that all the other appliances work, however, there is a switch in one of the kitchen cabinets to switch power to either the microwave or fireplace. I guess the fireplace draws too many amps to use both at the same time.

There are a lot of interior storage options, but I wish that there where more
exterior storage locations. There is only the large pass through in the front, I do like that its easy to get to the pass through storage from the master bedroom because the bed lifts easily with the gas springs, but I'm going to have to organize stuff under there or it will be easy to loose stuff. I might see if anyone has ever added their own storage door. I would like to be able to access one of the under the dinette bench storage areas from outside. Another quirk of the bench storage is that even though the benches are longer than the couch, the plastic storage bins included are the same size, they even put a piece of wood to block about a foot of storage in that bench area. I like the idea of those plastic storage things, but I may not use them all. Another thing with the pass through storage, I really hate that they didn't use slam latches, I will be replacing the locks to something else, but I might even try to see if I can replace them with slam latches.

Another feature we love is the outdoor kitchen, we didn't want to buy a camper that didn't have the bigger style outdoor kitchen area, the bumper grill is also a cool touch, I will be grilling lots of meat on that thing, however, when we saw the camper at the camper show the outdoor kitchen door is borderline too low in its open position, I'm 5'11" and my hair rubs across the lowest part of the door. I may try to see if I can get a couple extra inches of clearance somehow. Another part that is low is the slide in the living room, the first time I sat in the couch and stood up, my head hit the top of the slide. I think I will see if I can add some sort of cushioning to the edge, if I can find some that doesn't stand out and look really bad. The last thing about the outdoor kitchen, since its on a slide, the drain actually slides too, and the pex pipe for that sink goes in and out of the frame. I will have to keep an eye on the water lines, because it looks like they just slide over a metal hole with no abrasion protection. And that slide seems louder, probably because the drain pipe is sliding in and out too.

There are a good amount of 110 outlets in the rig. There are 2 in the master bedroom (one on each side of the bed, in the cubbies) and several others throughout the rig. Our old camper had 2, and I had to run extension cords to our bed just to charge our phones in bed. Speaking of charging phones, this rig has several usb power outlets to charge your phone or tablets with. I haven't tested them to check the speed of charge, but its a cool feature. This way if you are boon docking and not connected to a/c power, you can still charge your devices off the batteries.

This camper is roof walkable and I want to get slide toppers and/or a permanent ladder so I can get up there easier. I will definitely want to sweep off the slides if I'm under any trees or anything before sliding them in.

I also need to buy 3 tvs, one for master, one for living room and one for the bunkhouse, our old camper came with a tv, but it was a crappy no name brand, and I'm sure that this camper didn't include them to cut cost. There are tv backers in the living room and master, but the cubby that holds the tv in the bunkhouse has no mounts, I'll have to find a creative way to support it as its bouncing around back there.

Of course there is no perfect camper, I would say we love this one 200% more than our hybrid, but there are some minor complaints that I have mentioned. We like the layout a lot, but kinda wish it was possible to have the living room tv directly across from the couch, but the lounge that wildwood did is a really cool solution. Also the tv in the bunkhouse is 90 to the cubby, we only have 2 kids, so I might take out the lowest bed across from the couch and turn that into a tv cubby.

I love the a/c venting and the heater venting, our old camper had one spot where the a/c came out and it was really loud when it ran, this a/c is so much more quite and since it is vented, it will put cold air throughout the whole rig. This is definitely a 3 season camper with the underbelly. The hybrid style campers would get too cold in the cold and too hot in the summer, the tent material is not at all insulating, I remember one time it was extremely humid, the s/c was on full blast, and when we went to bed, the hot outside air that was also coming in from the tent area, hit the cool inside air, and made our whole bed and sheets all condensate, not fun to lay down on wet sheets. I would even say this could be a 4 season camper if you where careful about freezing the water. I had the heat on while I was organizing stuff inside and it was in the 20's outside and I was perfectly comfortable inside. I don't think the heater was overworked either, because it was not constantly running. The other nice thing is a digital thermostat.

Also, the windows in the living room slide are massive, and I love the slow close blackout curtains.

So far everything I have mentioned is mostly small and has a workaround or isn't even a big deal, however if I had known about this before I got it home, it may have been a dealbreaker. The bathroom is the ONLY room with a light switch. My daughter is 4 and cant reach the lights in the bunkhouse. I don't want to have to turn on the lights for her all the time. I am going to have to figure out something to fix this. I would like a light switch in the master bedroom and the living room, but thats not as big of a deal. When we looked at the camper at the show, they showed us that all the lights had buttons and could be turned on and off, but I thought there was still a master switch to control them. I have not figured out an easy way to add switches yet.

The other thing is that the camper at the show had the U dinette table, which supposedly fits more people, but the table is smaller than the booth dinette table. I really wanted the other table, but we had to take the one at the show to get the show price, and the salesman wasn't even sure if this camper could even be built with the booth dinette, so I may try to contact forest river and order the bigger table and convert it into the booth dinette.

This ended up being much longer than I thought, overall we do love the camper, I was mostly being very nit picky and there is no perfect camper, but it was the most perfect layout we could find in the price we could afford.
blu3wolf84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 04:00 PM   #4

You hit the nail on the head with a lot of things!! Thanks so much for responding. Yeah I'm concerned with the weight too as I will be towing with a 1/2 ton, but my tow rating is 11K# plus & I'm only taking it within 100 miles of home, so I'm not planning any cross country or mountain trips....but ya never know. My camper is at the local dealer finally & they are going thru it but I haven't taken it home yet. I'm excited about a lot things on this, my kids absolutely love the huge bunk room. And my old camper didn't even have a separate BR for me, it was just a bed slide with a curtain, so yeah big upgrade for me as well. I saw a lot of the same things you did, the outside kitchen door is low, they are going to adjust it up but there's only so much you can adjust it, without a custom mod. I also noticed on the bunk slides that you can't open this door when opening these slides, which is slightly worrisome. I've read on another forum that if the doors/drawers aren't in all the way on the back storage/entertainment area, it can cause major damage. What did your carpet catch on exactly??? I'm still exploring the little stuff on this unit & haven't done the PDI yet, but I am an experienced camper & have done tons of research. Keep in touch, hoping we BOTH have a good experience. I am super excited for this layout & options. FYI, I have the U dinette, sturdi steps & manual stabilizers with the JT strong arms. I will keep you in the loop on the good & the bad once I get it & have spent some nights in it.

Good Luck & Happy Camping!!
Old 02-29-2020, 04:46 PM   #5
Camper

Congrats on the new trailers, both of you. I love mine. I have had no major issues, only a couple minor things that were fixed by my dealer under warranty.

Blue3wolf84, do not walk on the slide floors when they are retracted. You can damage them. If you need to use the bathroom it is best to open the slide fully. Partially opening the slide can sometimes cause issues as well. I do it on occasion but it really should be open or closed, nothing in between.

It is a heavy beast and tongue heavy at that. My tongue weight is over 1400 lbs. She is long. I tow her with the crew bad long bed dually in my sig. I am 2" short of 60' bumper to bumper when hitched.

1 piece of advice, make sure your hitch is set up properly. I was having some wobble in the trailer when towing. I measured and remeasured everything. I hated my Blue Ox hitch. I was going to junk it and get an Equalizer. On a hunch I lowered the ball on my hitch 1 notch, 1.5". You would think it would not make much of a difference on a trailer this long. Well it was night and day. That thing tows straight as an arrow at speeds upward of 70. I now love the Blue Ox. Such a comfortable tow now. I just cruise down the road. Before, as soon as I broke 62 she would shimmy.

TV - 2006 F350 6.0 DRW CC
TT - 2018 Wildwood 31KQBTS
Macrosill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 05:53 PM   #6

Wow, this makes me even more nervous. Manf specs show a hitch weight of 905 empty. 1400 is quite an increase. Especially since I’m towing this with a 1/2 ton. Even though my towing capacity is 11,300 #. I also have the Blue Ox & haven’t tried it yet. How much sag do you have??
Old 02-29-2020, 06:25 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macrosill View Post
Congrats on the new trailers, both of you. I love mine. I have had no major issues, only a couple minor things that were fixed by my dealer under warranty.

Blue3wolf84, do not walk on the slide floors when they are retracted. You can damage them. If you need to use the bathroom it is best to open the slide fully. Partially opening the slide can sometimes cause issues as well. I do it on occasion but it really should be open or closed, nothing in between.

It is a heavy beast and tongue heavy at that. My tongue weight is over 1400 lbs. She is long. I tow her with the crew bad long bed dually in my sig. I am 2" short of 60' bumper to bumper when hitched.

1 piece of advice, make sure your hitch is set up properly. I was having some wobble in the trailer when towing. I measured and remeasured everything. I hated my Blue Ox hitch. I was going to junk it and get an Equalizer. On a hunch I lowered the ball on my hitch 1 notch, 1.5". You would think it would not make much of a difference on a trailer this long. Well it was night and day. That thing tows straight as an arrow at speeds upward of 70. I now love the Blue Ox. Such a comfortable tow now. I just cruise down the road. Before, as soon as I broke 62 she would shimmy.
Thanks for the info about yours. I kind of figured it was not a good thing to walk on the slides when closed after I felt how much it flexed. I have heard it is bad to stop slides mid open as well.

Wow 1400 lb tongue weight!! I guess after your pass through storage is full, with your clothes and everything in the master, plus 2 full propane tanks plus mine came with two marine batteries, thats a lot of weight. I thought the tongue weight was closer to 900 but I think that measurement might even be without batteries or propane tanks. Wow, pulling it with a dually.. The guy who delivered mine had a F350 dually and towed it without a sway control or even weight distribution and said it towed amazing.

I'm curious what measurements should I measure in setting up the weight distribution? Does the trailer need to be angled slightly nose down or should it be nearly level when hooked up? I'm also looking at getting a new weight distribution system, I heard good things about the blue ox, but also heard since it uses chains the sway control isn't as good, so I was looking at the equalizer, but one of the rv dealers I went to while shopping for the camper recommended the trekker hitch, saying its the best one out there. It looks similar to the equilizer. I think camco may be the manufacturer of these. I can't find much info on youtube about them. But they do seem good, and are cheaper than the equilizer.
https://www.eaz-lift.com/product-pag...r-hitch-1200lb
https://tinyurl.com/rhvgsxn

This one looks very interesting in that it uses a big steel ball with a spring on it to keep the trailer in line. But for the price I dont want to buy it until I find out more info about it.
https://www.eaz-lift.com/product-pag...-kit-short-bar

Unfortunately the henley hitch is just way out of my budget.. LOL
blu3wolf84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 10:04 PM   #8
Camper

I upgraded the blue ox to the 2000 lb bars after talking to Blue Ox. They said of the tongue weight was that high then I would need the 2k bars.

I think I have 3/4 to 1 inch sag in the rear when hitched up. I may be off on that as I have not measured it some early last year.

Old 03-10-2020, 03:25 PM   #9

Well folks, I finally picked up my new camper!! Am so excited. Only 2 weeks to go until our 1st outing of the season. She is long & heavy that's for sure. I only towed it from the dealer to home, only about 5 miles, & it happened to be super super windy. I only got up to maybe 45-50 mph. I definitely kept both hands on the wheel. Although I don't think I had the hitch set up tight enough. I'm going to experiment with this a bit. I'm also concerned with the supposed 1400# hitch weight.....that's a far cry from 900# which is what its advertised at . I get it, add batteries, propane, and all the stuff in pass thru storage, etc, but still that is quite a difference. Wondering if I should upgrade to the 2000# bars on the Blue Ox like the guy above...?? Will let everyone know how it goes after our 1st trip. Biggest issue I had taking it home from the dealer is they discovered the water heater control board was out & had to order a new one, so I know that will have to be fixed. Other than that, just a bunch of small stuff on the punchlist for them to fix under warranty. Will be in touch everyone!!
Old 03-10-2020, 03:52 PM   #10
Site Team

" I'm also concerned with the supposed 1400# hitch weight.....that's a far cry from 900# which is what its advertised at . I get it, add batteries, propane, and all the stuff in pass thru storage, etc, but still that is quite a difference."

I'm not surprised at the higher hitch weight, for a 36 1/2 foot TT. Those fictional advertised dry hitch weights are based on a stripped down version of the trailer. No options, no batteries, no water and no cargo.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 10:52 AM   #11

Just wondering how everyone was doing. And what adjustments most folks have made with the Blue Ox hitch. I did drive mine on the highway & man it was a tad scary. It wasn't out of control but I could definitely feel it pushing me & there was a lot of porpoising. I am upgrading to the 2000# bars for Blue Ox & getting the Timbren rear suspension enhancement. Even with the wdh on, I have 2-1/2" of sag which is a ton. The front is only up 1/2" which is good. Hoping the Timbren system helps this. I'm thinking of lowering the hitch 1 notch, although right now, the camper is pretty close to level, maybe just a bit high, so reading the post about the adjustment from Macrosill, I am going to at least try to see if this makes a difference.

We love the camper though. Steps are awesome, outdoor kitchen is the bomb. That is 1 thing I want to change though, the outdoor kitchen door is low when open. I am 6'2" & unless the ground is perfectly level, I have to duck. I've tried moving the strut up 1 notch, but no luck. Any ideas on this as well as the other stuff mentioned above???
Old 05-06-2020, 06:30 AM   #12
Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by emoore613 View Post
Just wondering how everyone was doing. And what adjustments most folks have made with the Blue Ox hitch. I did drive mine on the highway & man it was a tad scary. It wasn't out of control but I could definitely feel it pushing me & there was a lot of porpoising. I am upgrading to the 2000# bars for Blue Ox & getting the Timbren rear suspension enhancement. Even with the wdh on, I have 2-1/2" of sag which is a ton. The front is only up 1/2" which is good. Hoping the Timbren system helps this. I'm thinking of lowering the hitch 1 notch, although right now, the camper is pretty close to level, maybe just a bit high, so reading the post about the adjustment from Macrosill, I am going to at least try to see if this makes a difference.

We love the camper though. Steps are awesome, outdoor kitchen is the bomb. That is 1 thing I want to change though, the outdoor kitchen door is low when open. I am 6'2" & unless the ground is perfectly level, I have to duck. I've tried moving the strut up 1 notch, but no luck. Any ideas on this as well as the other stuff mentioned above???

What link are you using? I use the 10th link. That is the tenth link when counting from the bar end of the chain.

I measured like 10 times and my trailer was level but squirrely. Once I lowered the hitch it was night and day. My last trip I went as fast as 75 and the trailer towed straight as an arrow. I do not normally drive that fast but wanted to see how she did. Crosswinds were no problem, within reason of course. Passing trucks still gave the push pull effect but it was way more manageable.

I can provide pictures of the hitch setup if anyone needs as reference.

Good luck with your setup. Safe camping to all.

Old 05-06-2020, 09:33 AM   #13

Hey there. I have used both the 9th & 10th chain link. But on my most recent trip, I used the 10th, which is about as tight as it would go. I have recently upgraded to the 2000# bars on the Blue Ox, haven't used them yet, but I will the next time.

So to confirm what you said above. You had the TT nice & level when it was hooked up to tow vehicle and it was squirrely. But you lowered the hitch, thus lowering the TT & it drove better?? So if I have that right, your TT was slightly out of level forward, I mean not by much, but I'm trying to figure out if that's what I need to do. My biggest problem is porpoising, where I feel the TT pushing me & I can feel the back go down & front come up. And at high speeds its very squirrely. Thanks for your help & response, I very much appreciate it.
Old 05-18-2020, 11:53 AM   #14

Hell all. I did upgrade to the 2000# bars for Blue Ox, AND installed the Timbren suspension enhancement. Night & day difference. I am no longer getting pushed & having that losing control feeling, now it feels as 1 big unit. It really feels so much better & I'm not nervous at all taking it on a 2 hour drive trip on I-70. It is a little bit of a rough ride, BUT I will take that anyday over the feeling of the camper pushing me so much & having sag in my truck. My truck was sagging 2-3/4", now its only about 3/4". Without the weight of the camper on, I really only have a rough ride over big bumps, I can't feel any difference other than that. Totally worth the $250. And compared to air bags, no maintenance, filling up or deflating, no risk of air bags being punctured.
Old 05-19-2020, 06:16 AM   #15
Camper

Glad you got it worked out.