Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-12-2013, 11:58 PM   #1

356qbq cooling

Hi, just purchased a new Heritage Glen 356qbq, and in getting it loaded with our gear we have noticed it is not cooling very well. Does anyone else have an issue cooling this coach?

Thanks in advance!
tpolito999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 09:45 AM   #2

No, it takes a while to do the initial cool down because of the size but the 15k AC works well in mine. How hot has it been where you are? Mine is pre wired for the second AC, assuming yours is too.
Old 08-14-2013, 11:03 AM   #3

Thanks for the information.

For example the outside temperature was 82 degrees, and I had the Thermostat set on 76 all night, and the interior temperature of the unit was at 80 degrees when I got home. No one was in or out as this was just setting outside of my house. It feels like cool air coming out of the ac but the unit is not comfortable.

Yes we are also pre-wired for second unit but I was hoping to make it though the rest of this year and install a second this winter.

Thanks
Old 08-14-2013, 11:08 AM   #4

The single unit AC should keep up with that kind of heat with no problem. I'm guessing the thermostat is not correct on the set temp. I've found mine to be off by a few degrees. I have a stand alone weather station that does indoor and outdoor temps and adjust the thermostat up/ down according to that. My old TT had the same thermostat and I did the same for that too. I do usually set the fan to auto. On the initial cool down I use the hi fan setting.
Old 08-14-2013, 11:35 AM   #5

Thanks...I will lower the thermostat to 70 degrees and see what it will do. I am hoping to get this unit out this weekend so we will see what happens.
Old 08-14-2013, 11:50 AM   #6

I don't own the unit that you have but one of the first mods I did was to install a digital
thermostat. It’s for the heater only since my a/c unit is either on or off. This keep the heat temp within 2 degrees and the mercury thermostat was sticking in the off position. Not good when the outside temps were in the 20’s. Not expensive and easy to install. Got it from Lowes.
Old 08-15-2013, 02:32 PM   #7

I am getting my 356 qbq tomorrow .what are you pulling it with?
Ecclesiastes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 04:11 PM   #8

Cooling issue

We noticed when we picked ours up that the kitchen area has 3 additional outlets as well as the main A/C unit itself so we capped them off using some plastic lids trimmed to fit the grills. This worked and forced more air to each end of the trailer but noticed after using the A/C for a few minutes that condensation was forming on them so have since replaced them with some foil backed insulation to help insulate things to eliminate condensation.
Vtxguypei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 06:46 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecclesiastes View Post
I am getting my 356 qbq tomorrow .what are you pulling it with?
I'm using a 12 ram 3500 dually with the cummins. Pulls great.
Old 08-15-2013, 11:35 PM   #10

Couple of things that I would recommend here before switching the thermostat out. The first thing to do is to switch the AC unit to the quick cool option by dumping the A/C into the main room where it is located vs. the vent system by opening the slide mechanism on the AC from the inside. If you can get a temp reading from the air coming out, check and see what the difference is between it and the outside air temp (you might just be able to check this by feel to see if it is cold or not).

This will give you an idea as to if your AC is working properly or not. If the AC coming out of the quick cool is cold, but the AC coming through the vent system is not, you might just have a leak throughout your vent system somewhere (probably caused by gaps where the holes were cut for the vents in the ceiling, where the vent system connects into the AC system, or both.) If you have leaks, the cold air is probably escaping into the roof itself rather than going into the camper and you will need to seal this up to fix the problem, or have a dealer do it.

I had a similar problem with my last camper and after going through the process in this thread, it was a night and day difference. I documented as much as possible here and it is really not that bad to check and correct if this is the problem.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ner-27071.html
QCCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 08:24 PM   #11

Got our 356qbq Friday and spent the weekend at fort Meyers beach.96 degrees and one a c would not have been enough. Still got a little warm in main unit. Didn't have a fan to blow the second ac into the main room but it was down right chilly in the bed room. So as sun went down we shut off the second ac and it handled everything and shut off on a regular basis.only got 12-13 mpg going home .i was hoping for better. Could not find any major problems with unit just the p trap leaked from compression ring not being seated correctly. We had the fantastic fans installed in the two bathrooms can't wait to use them.....
Ecclesiastes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 08:00 AM   #12

12-13 mpg is pretty good considering how big the HG is.
Old 08-21-2013, 08:34 AM   #13

356qbq

The mileage really surprised me for sure but I don't drive or own a truck of that size so I feared much worse. Just a note on the backroom experiences we have had. The lower bunk dropped on the kitchen end after 3-4 youngsters sat or bounced a bit on it two connectors screws sheared off. I did a quick fix the day it happened with a cleat along the length of the wall but it has torn the screws away as well without many bodies on it..only one using it. The fix I hope will be to try get fastened to the wall again hitting a framing member with something more solid than the #8 sized screws that were there originally....and I have placed some 7 1/4 inch blocks under each end of the bed and the center to add some support in the meantime. Will try and find out from FR exactly where the framing members are located in the bunkroom pop out but that might be a challenge to as I can't seem to find a contact us number or email question window on their site. If anyone has experience with this please advise. The only other things we have done are installed drawer guides for the two under seat storage drawers which really didn't take much time at all or that much work either.
Vtxguypei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 08:49 AM   #14

Forest river main # 574-296-7700. They can transfer you to the wildwood branch. I called them the other day for some info in stain colors and they were helpful.
Old 09-23-2013, 08:35 PM   #15

I am looking at purchasing this same camper. What tow vehicle are you using?
Jakewb5025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 09:22 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakewb5025 View Post
I am looking at purchasing this same camper. What tow vehicle are you using?
I use a '12 ram 3500 dually, cummins diesel