Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-05-2022, 01:01 PM   #41

Charged vs precharged splits

I was going to buy Mr. cool system but it was more expensive. Maybe less after I pay to have the one I bought installed. With the Mr Cool version you get the compressor, line set and evaporator flushed and pre charged. Piercing fittings allow you to just tighten up the lines and you are done with the coolant hookup. Downside is that you have to order a fixed length hose. The unit I bought has a pre charged compressor but not the evaporator and line set. A professional or diy installer needs to cut the tubing, flare it, rinse the lines and condenser, pull a vacuum and then release the coolant. This gives a neater job, without lots of extra line snaked around somewhere. I bought a pioneer brand. Hopefully my a/c buddy won’t kill me on the price. Vacuum pump and gages aren’t that expensive to buy or rent. One of these days I may add that to my toolbox and resume.
Papadave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 08:45 AM   #42

Can a mini-split be retrofitted to the duct system? Does that impair efficiency, since the duct it close to the roof and can entrain heat?

Camping nights: 2021, 52; 2022, 99; 2023, 88; 2024, TBD (Est: 80+)

chriscowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 09:40 AM   #43

Yes and no

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscowles View Post
Can a mini-split be retrofitted to the duct system? Does that impair efficiency, since the duct it close to the roof and can entrain heat?
Maybe that should be no and yes. Mini splits are ductless. You can use more than one evaporator if you need two zones. One alternative that I have seen is to install ceiling cassettes where the roof air conditioners used to be. That would make a nice installation if you don’t have wall space for the mini split evaporators.
Papadave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2022, 12:12 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papadave View Post
Maybe that should be no and yes. Mini splits are ductless. You can use more than one evaporator if you need two zones. One alternative that I have seen is to install ceiling cassettes where the roof air conditioners used to be. That would make a nice installation if you don’t have wall space for the mini split evaporators.
I don't have wall space but am not actively thinking of getting a mini-split, anyway. I was asking more for my own knowledge than for practical application.

My 15K BTU Coleman roof AC works well enough and I'm not looking for a way to run it extensively with batteries. I can run it briefly (~an hour) with my current inverter and SoftStart.

That serves my purpose of cooling off the trailer when working on it in storage. In particular, I don't want to spend money unnecessarily.

Thanks for the info.

Camping nights: 2021, 52; 2022, 99; 2023, 88; 2024, TBD (Est: 80+)

chriscowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 06:55 AM   #45
Cpp

Remove the a/c unit and take it to a auto air conditioning expert, they have expensive equipment for testing and repairing a/c units. I have been in the commercial air conditioning field for 35 years and have seen some very poor quality control work and roof top systems show up without refrigerant in them.
Also while the unit is disconnected check all the duct work.. if unit is starving for air or can’t unload enough air this problem will never go away. Good luck
Cpap is offline   Reply With Quote