Old 05-07-2020, 03:32 PM   #1

Am I missing a tank?

I know, sounds silly. Maybe it fell off while being delivered or someone decided they needed a new grey tank more than I did.
Kidding aside, my Ď17 282qbxl was specced with something like 66 gallons of grey water tankage in the brochure and listing but thereís only one 30 gallon Alpha systems grey and a matching black tank. Anyone heard of that? Itís easy to say it should have been caught in the PDI, but who tests capacity during the PDI?
No holes where there could have been another tank and everything drains to the tank aft of the black tank. Iím puzzled and wondering what a plan B is. Install another tank?
Anyone have this unit and can shed some light on what SHOULD be there?

Thanks!!
M@

mtn_matt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 03:43 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtn_matt View Post
I know, sounds silly. Maybe it fell off while being delivered or someone decided they needed a new grey tank more than I did.
Kidding aside, my Ď17 282qbxl was specced with something like 66 gallons of grey water tankage in the brochure and listing but thereís only one 30 gallon Alpha systems grey and a matching black tank. Anyone heard of that? Itís easy to say it should have been caught in the PDI, but who tests capacity during the PDI?
Anyone have this unit and can shed some light on what SHOULD be there?
I looked up the specs and you've got a 28 gal gray, 30 gal. black and a 56 gal. fresh water. That 66 gal. gray is probably the 56 gal. fresh.
That makes more sense because you need more fresh thank gray, unless you've got a water hookup.

Old 05-07-2020, 03:53 PM   #3

Hmmm, I just looked it up as well (because I have nothing better to do during lockdown ), and I see two different brand trailers under 2017 282 QBXL. A Wildwood X-Lite and a Salem Cruiser Lite. Interestingly, the Wildwood specs out with one grey tank at a total of 28 gallons and the Salem specs out with 2 tanks . . . for a total of 28 gallons. I'm assuming the "2 tanks" is a typo and that they both have a total of 28 gallons for a grey tank.
Old 05-07-2020, 04:26 PM   #4

Well this is bound to be a duplicate reply, but the first one seems to be in Lala land. Thanks for looking this up and it’s interesting that you found different numbers still. The brochure I found HERE says 40 fresh, 34 black and 66 grey. The Forest River guy I talked to earlier this week said some models had two tanks but he could neither confirm nor deny with my model nor send me drawings. The tanks on my unit are definitely 40 fresh, 30 grey and 30 black. So I figured maybe there should have been a second grey (?).
Confused.

[/URL]...https://www.hilmersonrv.com/fckimage...hure.pdf#page2
Old 05-07-2020, 05:11 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Well this is bound to be a duplicate reply, but the first one seems to be in Lala land. Thanks for looking this up and itís interesting that you found different numbers still. The brochure I found HERE says 40 fresh, 34 black and 66 grey. The Forest River guy I talked to earlier this week said some models had two tanks but he could neither confirm nor deny with my model nor send me drawings. The tanks on my unit are definitely 40 fresh, 30 grey and 30 black. So I figured maybe there should have been a second grey (?).
Confused.

[/URL]...https://www.hilmersonrv.com/fckimage...hure.pdf#page2

Moderators Note: The SPAM filter automatically puts post from New members with links in the queue for review. This helps prevent a lot of SPAM

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 08:29 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
Moderators Note: The SPAM filter automatically puts post from New members with links in the queue for review. This helps prevent a lot of SPAM
Roger that... understood and itís a good practice. I think in this confined and odd world we currently live in Iíve become unnecessarily impatient. Thanks for moderating ... Iíve done it on other forums and itís unappreciated and often crappy work.
Old 05-07-2020, 09:36 PM   #7

Well, at the risk of leaving LaLa Land....
I didn't see that brochure and you might just have another gray water tank. Some rvs have a second gray water tank and a second dump valve. I can't remember the model, but the dump valve was actually on the other side of the rv.
Old 05-08-2020, 12:02 PM   #8
Head Rambler

Our current RV has a separate galley tank and it's dump valve is under the rear corner of the RV far away from the other two dump valves. And it's hooked to the 3" outlet so you don't see it unless you know where to look.
Old 05-09-2020, 06:23 AM   #9

Thanks for your input everyone. It's good to know a second tank is an option.

I don't feel rushed to jump in to anything right now but I like to be informed and do my research for sure. I'd love to see drawings or pics of second tank additions. But let's face it, I'm sitting here staring at it going nowhere... actually even worse, I have a high exposure relative living in it for a couple months, so I can't even driveway camp.

My long range concern is that we'll be pretty limited for dry camping when the time comes. 30 gallons fills pretty quickly between a family of 4 so I feel a new tank will get added to the future To-Do list.
Old 05-09-2020, 06:38 AM   #10
"On the road again"

Send a message via AIM to rjshiflet
Here are additional resources - if you scroll to the bottom you'll see the two options for that model if travel trailer. I suppose if you find your floorplan you'll find the specs for your model:

https://www.rvusa.com/rv-guide/specs...m2298-y2017-t5

Robert & Estha Shiflet
Cardinal 3456RLX - '17 Ford F350 Lariat Ultimate - DRW w/B&W OEM Companion hitch
Nights Camping 2012 - 2019: 955 ~ Nights Camping 2020: 5 (Slowed a bit due to wife's knee replacement and then COVID-19)
rjshiflet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 07:15 AM   #11

Does yours have an outside kitchen? That’s usually where the second tank comes in. But it wouldn’t help your cause much anyway because it would be hooked to the gallery only, not the shower. Get a tote and you’ll double your capacity.
Old 05-09-2020, 08:22 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewisra View Post
Does yours have an outside kitchen? Thatís usually where the second tank comes in. But it wouldnít help your cause much anyway because it would be hooked to the gallery only, not the shower. Get a tote and youíll double your capacity.

I do have the outside kitchen which aligns very well with the existing grey tank, so I could see how they would design it with that in mind.
Old 05-09-2020, 09:20 AM   #13

Brochures are not necessarily totally accurate. There's usually small type somewhere that says something like "specifications are subject to change." The specs that come with the rig when you take delivery are usually closer to reality.
Now:2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L
2008 Ford F-250 Long Bed Diesel
Total of 30 Months on the Road Since 2008
DrLewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 11:18 AM   #14

Quote:
But let's face it, I'm sitting here staring at it going nowhere... actually even worse, I have a high exposure relative living in it for a couple months, so I can't even driveway camp.
My long range concern is that we'll be pretty limited for dry camping when the time comes. 30 gallons fills pretty quickly between a family of 4 so I feel a new tank will get added to the future To-Do list.
Well that's interesting. You can't even driveway camp because a relative is breaking in your rig. That's a wonderful gesture on your part.
There are alternatives to a larger freshwater tank. We carry bottled water for drinking so water is used mostly for showers which tend to be really short. Paper plates and silverware, wiping cooking utensils dry before washing, washing dishes in one container of water and rinsing in another rather than running water while washing, plus hand wipes cut down water use significantly. (think tent camping)
A generator for charging batteries and running things in the trailer help too.
Hopefully, you'll get to go driveway camping and regular camping soon.
Old 05-10-2020, 02:57 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLewie View Post
Brochures are not necessarily totally accurate. There's usually small type somewhere that says something like "specifications are subject to change." The specs that come with the rig when you take delivery are usually closer to reality.
Yes, isnít that the truth. The FR rep I talked to was sure to point that print out as well. Haha.
Old 05-10-2020, 03:30 PM   #16

Everything on mine claims a 42gal fresh tank. I never have been able to get more than 32 into it. Sorry it doesn't help other than to tell you they are not accurate.
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 03:40 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverse_snowbird View Post
Well that's interesting. You can't even driveway camp because a relative is breaking in your rig. That's a wonderful gesture on your part.
There are alternatives to a larger freshwater tank. We carry bottled water for drinking so water is used mostly for showers which tend to be really short. Paper plates and silverware, wiping cooking utensils dry before washing, washing dishes in one container of water and rinsing in another rather than running water while washing, plus hand wipes cut down water use significantly. (think tent camping)
A generator for charging batteries and running things in the trailer help too.
Hopefully, you'll get to go driveway camping and regular camping soon.
Iím certainly hoping he doesnít break the rig, but I admit Iím very nervous about that possibility. Thatíll be a shame since weíve yet to camp in it ourselves. Poor kid was getting kicked off of University of MD campus with no where to go, so we accelerated our conversation to buy the thing to help him out.

Ultimately, I have what I have, so itís up to me to then figure out what weíll need. Weíre pretty good at managing water usage after 20ish years of cruising boat ownership. For the next handful of years weíre likely to be looking for full hookup locations anyways (weíve got little ones).
Old 05-16-2020, 06:47 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post
Our current RV has a separate galley tank and it's dump valve is under the rear corner of the RV far away from the other two dump valves. And it's hooked to the 3" outlet so you don't see it unless you know where to look.

Same here. We have a separate galley tank and the dump valve for it is on the side of the trailer frame under the slide, not where the main grey / black is located.
spurticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 07:44 AM   #19
Site Team

Quote:
Iím certainly hoping he doesnít break the rig, but I admit Iím very nervous about that possibility. Thatíll be a shame since weíve yet to camp in it ourselves. Poor kid was getting kicked off of University of MD campus with no where to go, so we accelerated our conversation to buy the thing to help him out.

Ultimately, I have what I have, so itís up to me to then figure out what weíll need. Weíre pretty good at managing water usage after 20ish years of cruising boat ownership. For the next handful of years weíre likely to be looking for full hookup locations anyways (weíve got little ones).
You know breaking IN a rig is different from breaking a rig.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 = 26; booked = 42
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 04:19 PM   #20

Quote:
There isn't much in the rig that he could break.... at least not much that can't be fixed easily. You've basically offered him a mobile hotel room.
You'll be in good company if you find that rig doesn't meet your needs and trade it in on another one. If you've got small kids, your needs in a rig will change quickly as they grow.

Tags
tank