Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-15-2012, 05:17 PM   #1

(another) Wildwood 261BHXL question

on the 6 gal Suburban waterheater..

finally figured out how to "lite" it - question is in reference to the Ignition Switch

should the ignition switch be left in the "on" position - or turned back to the "off" position after the pilot light is lit ?

I'm sorta guessing that on subsequent reheating of the water the pilot light should already be on and no further "spark" should be required (until such time as another initial start-up of the water heater is attempted) - therefore the switch should be off

please confirm (or set me straight). thanks.....Bill
Whisky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 05:25 PM   #2
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whisky View Post
on the 6 gal Suburban waterheater..

finally figured out how to "lite" it - question is in reference to the Ignition Switch

should the ignition switch be left in the "on" position - or turned back to the "off" position after the pilot light is lit ?

I'm sorta guessing that on subsequent reheating of the water the pilot light should already be on and no further "spark" should be required (until such time as another initial start-up of the water heater is attempted) - therefore the switch should be off

please confirm (or set me straight). thanks.....Bill
Once you turn the switch to "on", leave it in that position as long as you want hot water heated by propane. I run both the propane and electric at the same time for faster recovery. I don't think the gas side is that big a user of propane as it doesn't run very long at a time.
Old 09-15-2012, 05:27 PM   #3

Off after pilot is lit
Tincup13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 05:28 PM   #4
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tincup13 View Post
Off after pilot is lit
It is my understanding there is no pilot on a DCI water heater.
Old 09-15-2012, 05:53 PM   #5

I'm getting some conflicting info from the above

and I'm not sure that there is an electric heating function for my waterheater

someone says "on", another says "off" - makes me wonder if I've got some odd type of w.h. (?).....

anyone here with my particular TT/waterheater that can give some info ? .....Bill
Old 09-15-2012, 05:57 PM   #6
Mod free 5er

Quote:
I'm getting some conflicting info from the above

and I'm not sure that there is an electric heating function for my waterheater

someone says "on", another says "off" - makes me wonder if I've got some odd type of w.h. (?).....

anyone here with my particular TT/waterheater that can give some info ? .....Bill
The electric switch will be outside on the heater itself. It may have a pin thru it so it can't be inadvertently switched on. JUST MAKE SURE THE TANK IS FULL BEFORE YOU TURN IT ON. Otherwise it will burn the element up within seconds if the tank is empty.

Does the propane water heater switch say DCI on it? If it does, you leave it on as there is no pilot light.
Old 09-15-2012, 06:04 PM   #7

I think he is talking about the igniter switch that provides the spark to light the pilot. If so, once pilot is lit turn the igniter switch off. If he doesn't mean that I don't know.
I don't have electric on water heater, just propane.
Old 09-15-2012, 06:07 PM   #8
Mod free 5er

Quote:
I think he is talking about the igniter switch that provides the spark to light the pilot. If so, once pilot is lit turn the igniter switch off. If he doesn't mean that I don't know.
On a 2012 Wildwood 26BHXL, I think it is a DCI and therefore no pilot. Could be wrong tho.
Old 09-15-2012, 06:13 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunnnc View Post
.. Does the propane water heater switch say DCI on it? If it does, you leave it on as there is no pilot light.
I'm not seeing a switch that says "DCI" - this is what I've got in the outside access :

Old 09-15-2012, 06:23 PM   #10

That is just like mine. No electric. When pilot light is lit by the spark from igniter turn igniter switch off and black knob to on. Water will stay hot until u turn the black knob off. When u re light after turning knob to off u have to re light pilot again. I don't leave mine on I just heat up water, shower or wash dishes turn off. Then re light again. It's not hard and doesn't take long to heat water.
Old 09-15-2012, 06:24 PM   #11

Quote:
I don't have electric on water heater, just propane.
yes, I'm talking about the igniter switch (that provides the spark)

and

I'm thinking I don't have any electric heating of the waterheater also

and

that's my question, should that switch be turned "off" once the pilot/burner starts burning ? and, if so, when the tank temp cools down will the pilot lite still be burning so as to restart the burner ? - I know how a home waterheater works but this is confusing me.....Bill
Old 09-15-2012, 06:24 PM   #12
Mod free 5er

Quote:
I'm not seeing a switch that says "DCI" - this is what I've got in the outside access :
Then once you see the pilot is lit, turn the knob to "on" and leave it.

Sorry, thought you had a totally different type waterheater.
Old 09-15-2012, 06:31 PM   #13

Yes to Bill. Water continues to heat as needed until u turn the black knob off. Then u have to re light pilot but yes turn off igniter switch after lighting pilot.
Old 09-15-2012, 06:44 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunnnc View Post
It is my understanding there is no pilot on a DCI water heater.
DSI not DCI. Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 07:45 PM   #15
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
DSI not DCI. Youroo!!
I stand corrected, knew it didn't look quite right, old age hits again!

Thanks!
Old 09-16-2012, 04:56 AM   #16

believe my question been answered

- once the pilot lite has been lit, turn the igniter switch to "off" - water will continue to re-heat until the rotating knob/switch is turned to "off" (or propane is "out")

- (my waterheater is gas only)

thank you all.....Bill
Old 10-01-2012, 03:46 PM   #17

I have the same trailer as you 2012 Wildwood X-lite 26BHXLT, my heater is a 6 gal Suburban automatic. My WH looks very different then yours and has no pilot. Aside from the switch that turns on the electrical component (if used), I have no need to do anything at the actual water heater. All I do is open the gas valve and flip the switch inside the trailer and I have hot water in 15 minutes.
mewildman is offline   Reply With Quote