Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-21-2017, 09:17 AM   #1
Weekend Warrior

Any chance the ducts are there?

I have a 2017 Wildwood 261BHXL
It has a roof a/c (non-ducted)
Other 2017 Wildwood 261BHXL 's have ducted a/c as an upgrade..

Any chance the ducts are in mine and just blocked off?

I'd like to add an A/C vent to the bedroom, so I can close off the curtain divider for privacy and still get cold air.
KyleStout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 09:33 AM   #2

following....
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 09:35 AM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

More than likely they are there (typically just a channel in framing), but you would need a new inside panel, thermostat, and vents for the rest of the RV also. I'm not sure you can make the non-vented model AC work.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 09:39 AM   #4
Weekend Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaMan View Post
More than likely they are there (typically just a channel in framing), but you would need a new inside panel, thermostat, and vents for the rest of the RV also. I'm not sure you can make the non-vented model AC work.
Ahh.. I see.

I was hoping I could just unblock the duct that runs to the bedroom, and pop a hole in the ceiling and add just one vent..

thanks for the info!
Old 04-21-2017, 09:55 AM   #5

Quote:
Obviously, he would need the vents.

Not sure what you mean by "inside panel."

Not sure why he'd need a new T-stat. Might need to move the one he has, but I'd think installing vents would actually be better for the T-stat location as it would even out the air flow in the TT.

UPDATE: Figured you might think he has an AC with the controls on the ceiling panel and that's why you think he needs an "inside panel" and a T-stat. Given the size of his TT, I would be surprised if he has that kind of AC. My smaller Roo 19 hybrid was not ducted, but it had a T-stat on the wall.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 09:58 AM   #6
Weekend Warrior

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
Obviously, he would need the vents.

Not sure what you mean by "inside panel."

Not sure why he'd need a new T-stat. Might need to move the one he has, but I'd think installing vents would actually be better for the T-stat location as it would even out the air flow in the TT.

UPDATE: Figured you might think he has an AC with the controls on the ceiling panel and that's why you think he needs an "inside panel" and a T-stat. Given the size of his unit, it's very possible he doesn't have that kind of AC. My Roo 19 was not ducted, but it had a T-stat.
the only thermostat in the TT controls the propane furnace only.

The A/C controls are all contained on the A/C unit itself.
Old 04-21-2017, 10:10 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleStout View Post
the only thermostat in the TT controls the propane furnace only.

The A/C controls are all contained on the A/C unit itself.
So thinking some more, you would need to open up the foam from the AC's discharge plenum to the ducting, then close off the normal discharge vents in the ceiling panel (I think that's really what AquaMan was getting at), which probably isn't too difficult, but then you'd have to put a T-stat somewhere and run it's wiring back to the AC.

So I've come around to AquaMan's view. Sounds like a lot of work.

And that all ASSUMES that the ducts are actually there. Not sure how you'd determine that easily.

Old 04-21-2017, 10:13 AM   #8
Weekend Warrior

Quote:
So thinking some more, you would need to open up the foam from the AC's discharge plenum to the ducting, then close off the normal discharge vents in the ceiling panel (I think that's really what AquaMan was getting at), which probably isn't too difficult, but then you'd have to put a T-stat somewhere and run it's wiring back to the AC.

yep. too much work for me

I should've just spent the extra cash for the upgrade in the very beginning. But I was paying cash for the unit, and just simply maxed out on my budget...

Think I'll just leave the curtain open... not really adequate privacy anyhow..
Old 04-21-2017, 10:27 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleStout View Post
yep. too much work for me

I should've just spent the extra cash for the upgrade in the very beginning. But I was paying cash for the unit, and just simply maxed out on my budget...

Think I'll just leave the curtain open... not really adequate privacy anyhow..
Just found this thread. Might help you, might not.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ml#post1482075

Old 04-21-2017, 03:25 PM   #10

No harm in pulling down the inside part and look and see if the ducts are there. I just had my inside down to vacuum out my ducts and block off the ends.
Old 04-22-2017, 03:37 AM   #11

Quote:

And that all ASSUMES that the ducts are actually there. Not sure how you'd determine that easily.
Actually it may be quite simple.

Step 1. If you remove the lower portion of the A/C inside the camper you should be able to look inside your roof above the ceiling to see if the ducting is there. If not, I don't think it would be worth the effort to try the install. If so, proceed to step two.

Step 2. Remove your thermostat to see if all the wires are connected or are there an unused wire. If an unused wire exists then you only need a new thermostat. This will keep you from having to fish a new thermostat cable with the wiring to control the A/C too.

If both those are true it would be a sinple matter of getting the correct lower portion of the A/C, a new thermostat and vent covers.
Old 04-22-2017, 06:39 AM   #12

On my unit, I had 12volt line run in between all the ceiling vents. Not a problem putting fan/vents in each one. Maybe the ducts are there so as to make production faster and also therm.stat. wire might be there. No loss looking.
Old 05-07-2017, 11:18 PM   #13

I've got a 14' Wildwood 262BHXL that has ducted a/c. If you drop the a/c panel from the ceiling, the forward running duct begins on the r/h side (facing fwd); the aft running duct is on the l/h side (facing fwd). In my TT, each duct has 2 round vents; one halfway down the duct and the other at the end.

To get adequate flow to the ducts, we have to close the main vent on the a/c unit to force air down the ducting. Also, our a/c temp and fan speed is controlled by a wall mounted thermostat. Hope this helps.
jfinley002 is offline   Reply With Quote