Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-25-2014, 06:50 PM   #1

Any Wildwood XLite 26bh Owners Out There?

Hi:

Just purchased a gently used 2010 XLite 26bh which was an upgrade from our hybrid. Had an issue with replacing the anode rod - the company that winterized it for the previous owner had removed the old rod and then just left it out all winter which filled the threads with rust and scale ... Anyhow, any comments from previous and current owners on this model? Love to get some tips and DIYs from owners with real world experience!
Ontherock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 02:13 PM   #2

We have a 2014 261BHXL which might be similar. Really love ours.
John4th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 04:25 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply. Ours is a 26 footer w/o slide. I'm guessing yours is the same with a slide?
Wondering about the fridge. It is a single door model and when you open the door it hits against the opposite wall when almost fully open. This means that the freezer door can only open about 90% before it contacts the almost open fridge door. Any issues with yours?
Old 06-01-2014, 11:09 AM   #4
Explorer

We have 2011 with no slide and the double door fridge. We love ours and have put a ton of miles and probably 50-80 days each year. I have done multiple/modifications to ours, do a search for posts started by YoungKopernik to see what I’ve done. I am pretty proud of how we have made our camper a home away from home.
Sorry about your fridge, sounds like an issue that needs solving. Can you move the hinges and switch which way the freezer door opens? I have same issue with the both my fridge and freezer doors only open to the wall(90% open). For us with the double door it is more of a nuisance than a problem; we can still very easily use ours.
Have lots of fun
John
43yrs of camping; one lucky guy
YoungKopernik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 01:59 PM   #5

Ours doesn't have a slide.
John4th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 08:50 PM   #6

YoungKopernik:
Looks like this may be a design glitch if this issue is appearing on multiple model years
Thanks for the suggestion of re-hanging the door to the other side. Not sure if I can do that but next weekend when I'm back to the trailer I'll have a look. I'm also going to search to see what mods you have done.
Have you added a lift kit to the main bed or did yours come equipped with that option? I've already bought the kit and I'm planning on installing it in the next few weeks.

JohnIII:
Do you have the same issue with your fridge?
Old 06-01-2014, 09:52 PM   #7
Explorer

Lift struts should be on my list…
I put a 2x2x4ft under the bed, I have been muscling it open and using that to keep it open. It’s a good idea to put a lift assist I am sure my wife would like it. We have been storing items we don’t need to often.
One thing we did do was to install storage units that are easily accessible from the side of the bed. We use it to keep our shoes and my wife keeps sweaters on her side. I posted about this with pics in one of my earlier post

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ome-29076.html

John
Old 06-01-2014, 10:09 PM   #8
Explorer

anotherock, I cant say our fridge doors are that much of an issue. I tell my kids to not let the doors swing open or they will hit the wall. The only small quirk is the door to the fridge must be fully open(touching the wall) to pull the bottom drawer in the fridge out(vegetable drawer). I must turn the drawer askew to pull it past the molded-in shelving of the door.
It all works, I just worry about door swinging into the wall and causing damage.

Could use three inches taken out of the wall but all works.
John
Old 06-04-2014, 04:10 PM   #9

Thanks for the comments! I'll see what I can do with the fridge door on the weekend.
I'm planning on adding some shelves and adding access doors to the storage spaces as YoungKopernik did. What did you use for a stain to match the existing finish?
Old 06-05-2014, 05:37 PM   #10
Explorer

grabbed some quick pics of my fridge door issues, after looking at it is several deg less than a full 90 open but it still works
Click image for larger version

Name:	FridgIssu_14_web.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	199.9 KB
ID:	54419

Click image for larger version

Name:	FridgWallClear_web_14.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	198.5 KB
ID:	54420

For the stain, I haven't found a perfect match, I stain twice once with a cherry and then again with a walnut. If you find a good match let me know please.
John
Old 06-07-2014, 04:25 PM   #11

Just a quick note to let you know that I installed the bed lift kit today and it works great. I picked it up at the local RV parts store about two weeks ago and the only size they had at the time was the large one meant for lifting the full Queen & King mattress. In our XLite, the space under the bed is hinged at the 48" point. I called the manufacturer (Hatch Lift) and asked them about installing the gas shocks the same way as if it was lifting the entire mattress assembly, not just the 48" portion (the instructions for that scenario had the lifts operating in the reverse direction, which would put them in the way when putting things under the bed, IMHO). They told me it would work either way so I took a chance and tried it. Anyhow, it works great and you can lift the bed with one hand while the shocks hold it there to access the storage.
Old 06-07-2014, 07:20 PM   #12
Explorer

thanks, great info, my wife will thank you too(she just wont know it)
John
Old 08-26-2014, 08:36 PM   #13

Hi I have 2011 wildwood xlite 26bh, has anyone purchased burner cover for additional counter space?? Thanks
Del78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 02:19 PM   #14
Explorer

Ours came with flip up stove cover but we only put it down while traveling. Having it up gives a nice wall protection while cooking. So maybe you could get one for your stove from manufacture, Dometic?(I could add a pic if you like?)
I did make much better sink covers out of Corrian and often leave one side covered for extra counter space.
Also I built an flip-up extended counter out of Corrian that helps a lot. They sell counter extensions at CampingWorld just not as big as I wanted or matching colors.
I posted these MODs about 2 years ago with nice pics, If you do a search for YoungKopernik post it should show up.
counter space is definitely tight
John
Old 09-06-2014, 06:26 PM   #15

Thanks for your help!
Old 09-07-2014, 07:43 AM   #16

Before I say my front axle brakes are not working, I will ask does this trailer have brakes on front axle or rear axle only? Thanks guys
Old 09-07-2014, 03:49 PM   #17
Explorer

This would be a better question to post in the General Tech and Repair, under axle and brakes. I think you will get a lot more responses.
I know I have front axle brakes so I am sure you do too. If you look at the back side of the tire you will see a break backing plate and drum.
How do you know that the front brakes are not working?
You have several places to look, your breaks are electrical, energizing magnets that mechanically engage brake shoes.
If it is both sides of front axle, it is probably at a brake wire connection going to that axle. There are two wires coming from the front that splits off to first axle before going to the next. Mine comes down the drivers side. One wire will be power, only powered when connected to tv and brakes are applied or when brake away pin is pulled, and other will be ground.
How handy are you? Do you have a multi meter? Are you willing to jack up and pull a tire?
If you pull your emergency brake away pin you might hear your magnet engaging(humming) which would mean you have power to the brake. With the pin out you could check for power going to each brake with a multi meter or a test light. Then be sure the ground wire is good by checking continuity to the frame.
If you have power and ground than jacking up the tire to see if they just need adjusting.
I think after that you’ll need to pull the tire and brake drum to see whats inside.
Over the years and multiple trailers, I have seen several blown grease seals, broken springs, broken brake shoes, broken or pinched magnet wires.
Good luck
John
Old 09-07-2014, 04:09 PM   #18

Hi john, I fixed it today there was 2 wires that where broken supplying power to front axle brakes. Thanks for your help again. I knew they where not operating as the drums where cold during operation, and the rear where very hot.

Tags
wildwood