Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-17-2019, 02:18 PM   #1

Battery disconnect questions

My wife and I are proud owners of a 2020 Heritage Glen 22RBHL that we brought home yesterday afternoon. We decided to spend the first night in the camper to test all the features and get a feel for how well we fit in it. All went well and we think this is going to be a great travel home for us for many years to come!

I do have a quick question that doesn’t seem to be covered in the vague online manual at FR’s website. The battery disconnect is located in the front left corner of the underfloor storage compartment and is a new feature that our old camper didn’t have. When I turned the disconnect 90 degrees and removed it, all the power dropped in the camper (expected) but the slide out still was able to be operated (not expected) off of battery power. Is this by design or do we have something wired incorrectly? I would think that all the sources of power draw would be removed with the handle pulled.
Old 11-17-2019, 02:20 PM   #2

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9377.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	489.6 KB
ID:	219300
Old 11-17-2019, 02:39 PM   #3

Smile

We have the same tt and my slide works when the batteries are off also. We love ours!
bwbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 02:40 PM   #4
Site Team

Its not unusual for a factory-installed disconnect switch to still allow power to the slideout or tongue jack.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 03:12 PM   #5

Thank you both for the quick responses - they definitely put my mind at ease. We are also big fans of the camper and can’t wait for spring to arrive!
Old 11-17-2019, 04:13 PM   #6
WFD

Yes that is a very normal operation....your LP gas detector should still work as should your tongue jack.
Old 11-17-2019, 04:28 PM   #7
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Factory battery disconnects typically disconnect the 'parasitic' draws that would drain a battery when in storage.

Parasitic draws are things that draw current from the battery all the time or things that will draw current if left connected. Things like digital read-outs, LP detectors, radios/sound systems and 12v/USB outlets.

Things like slide outs, tongue jacks, stabilizers and the like, remain connected since they would only use current from the battery if you pushed a button to use them. Otherwise, they use none.

Did your selling dealer not go over this important device when you picked up your brand new 2020 R/V yesterday?

Makes me wonder what else they didn't explain?

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 04:55 PM   #8

I didn’t try the tongue jack so not sure if it worked (supports are down) but I’ll maybe nudge it a hair the next time I head out there.

As far as our camper pick up experience...it had room for improvement. All of the folks in their service department are friendly and eager to help, but the entire process is just so disorganized. No checklist, just a cursory point out of some items as they walked around, and even with a week in a half advance reservation for the pick up, they still had forgotten to get us a temp tag or even have the camper out front and ready for us.

It has to go back when the new chaise lounge comes in so maybe I can get them to cover some more items. But even on that warranty work, the tear in the chaise’s fabric was found before we signed all the final purchase paperwork a week and a half ago and they hadn’t started the ball rolling on it.

So mixed feelings. Worked with us to get a good deal, very friendly folks, but so disorganized!
Old 11-17-2019, 05:00 PM   #9

Completely unassociated question (bwbob maybe?), but does anyone know how to turn on the small light on the front of the camper? I’m referring to the 2' wide LED strip on the front shell below the factory branding logo. Neither switch in the underfloor storage control it, doesn’t come on with the outer lights (awning and speaker lights do), no do any interior lights seem to control it. In the off chance it has a light sensor, it’s dark outside here and still not on automatically. Not that I would expect it to...just running out of ideas.
Old 11-20-2019, 08:09 AM   #10

Switch

My switch is on the right side in the pass thru storage.
bwbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 08:59 AM   #11
Site Team

As you have already noticed, the factory disconnect dos not remove power from everything in the TT. Most likely the CO/Propane detector is still powered and that will kill a battery over a week or two. If you plan to store the TT for more than a week you have several options.
1. Disconnect negative battery cable. ( 0ne connection removes all power to the TT.
2. Keep the TT connected to shore power. ( You do not need 30A service if you are just running convertor)
3. connect a good micro controller operated battery maintainer *( not trickle charger) directly to the battery.
4. You could also add a 40W or higher solar panel with controller, but that is a little more involved.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 07:47 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwbob View Post
My switch is on the right side in the pass thru storage.
Thanks Bob. Our dealer confirms that is where our switch is located as well...except it doesn’t work. Another thing added to their list of stuff to take a look at when we bring it in for the chaise lounge replacement.
Old 11-23-2019, 07:50 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
As you have already noticed, the factory disconnect dos not remove power from everything in the TT. Most likely the CO/Propane detector is still powered and that will kill a battery over a week or two. If you plan to store the TT for more than a week you have several options.
1. Disconnect negative battery cable. ( 0ne connection removes all power to the TT.
2. Keep the TT connected to shore power. ( You do not need 30A service if you are just running convertor)
3. connect a good micro controller operated battery maintainer *( not trickle charger) directly to the battery.
4. You could also add a 40W or higher solar panel with controller, but that is a little more involved.
Thanks for the advice, Bob. I currently am keeping it plugged in to a 15A circuit off the garage. I did pick up 50’ of romex, a breaker, and a new outlet to install on the side of our garage close to the back of the camper. I have a car parked in front of the wall where I need to route the wire that we don’t often move (all covered up) but once I get the space cleared out I will be installing that. Then we can have the option of running the A/C when we get home from a summer trip and are cleaning out the camper.

Everyone here has been most helpful. Great forum...very happy I found it!

Tags
battery, battery disconnect