Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-25-2020, 12:44 PM   #1

Bike carrier

I have a 241QB with the usual square back bumper and spare tire mound on it.

I want to carry 2 adult bikes.
I am sure they offer (priced as if they were made from gold) bike carriers made for the generic square bumper.

Any links to photos?

Alternatives for carrying 2 bikes (roof of towing vehicle to high)?

DIY links? I assume tubing is steel not aluminum?
vtraudt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 02:25 PM   #2
Site Team

There are literally thousands of threads about bike racks on the rear bumper here,
A quick search will get you weeks of reading.
Generally, if your trailer is an ultralight, it's not recommended because such a mod may void the frame warranty. Many ultralights have warning stickers on the bumper. To do it safely would require welding and bracing a receiver to the frame and bumper. TTs don't have shocks like Motorhomes, so the bikes will bounce up and back. The physics will cause flexing on the welds and metal, causing a failure.
There are A-frame mounted bike rack options also.
Personally my bikes are too valuable to risk putting them on the rear, where I can't see them.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 02:39 PM   #3

Typical RV bumpers are not very strong and over the years many have failed when asked to carry bikes, generators, firewood, etc.

Unfortunately you cannot watch what is happening back there as you drive down bumpy interstates...

I would start doing some research on your own on strengthening your bumper or putting the bikes over the tongue, before listening to anybody on what you CAN and CANNOT do to your bumper.

etrailer dot com has many solutions for bike racks.

This website below is required reading for products to strengthen your bumper. I did put on their mount n lock struts 5 or so years ago with good results, but I only carry one bike.
https://mount-n-lock.com/

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 04:28 PM   #4

Options.....

You have some options. The a-frame carrier works well. We have it on our TT and while I was skeptical I like it. Hardest part is lifting the bike onto the rear hooks and making sure I don’t hit the front window........so far so good.

On our last trailer I added tube support braces, a bolt on 2” receiver, and used our bike carrier. I could do the same with this and with my Furrion rear view camera I could watch the bikes the entire time we are towing. Just keep the lights on and you get video as you are traveling.
Old 10-03-2020, 05:46 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMcBees View Post
You have some options. The a-frame carrier works well. We have it on our TT and while I was skeptical I like it. Hardest part is lifting the bike onto the rear hooks and making sure I don’t hit the front window........so far so good.

On our last trailer I added tube support braces, a bolt on 2” receiver, and used our bike carrier. I could do the same with this and with my Furrion rear view camera I could watch the bikes the entire time we are towing. Just keep the lights on and you get video as you are traveling.
Cannot imagine (will google photos) how there is room with on the A frame with the 2 LP tanks, battery, power jack/wheel. Unless the carrier is designed to 'reach' over all that stuff. Will get some inspiration from pictures, but surely that would be my preferred solution (don't like to add all that weight (mass/inertia) miles away from the center of the trailer.
Old 10-03-2020, 05:51 PM   #6

Wow, that is cool: A frame mounted bike carrier1

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....AC_SL1500_.jpg
https://i5.wal.co/asr/fd296a41-e00c-...d&odnBg=ffffff
Old 10-03-2020, 05:54 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtraudt View Post
There are 4 or 5 different types of A-frame bike rack carriers out there.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 07:24 AM   #8

I may make one that has a 2" receiver so I can use the carrier also on my cars.
Currently have 'hang from frame' style, but would like to get one with 'tire rail'.
Old 10-04-2020, 08:33 AM   #9

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Arvika makes above botlle tongue carriers. I had a 4 bike one, worked great. I now have a Swagman RV Rated bike carrier on my 2 inch frame mounted hitch on the rear of the fifth wheel. Both are right for the job. Anything that mounts behind a car or truck is not strong enough for the purpose.

Both just happen to be Canadian manufacturers as well.
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 08:41 AM   #10

"Anything that mounts behind a car or truck is not strong enough for the purpose." Can you elaborate?
Old 10-04-2020, 09:02 AM   #11

Regular racks can not support the actions of the trailer moving, bouncing or bumping down the road. There is a lot of force at the back that cause metal fatigue over time. Small 1/14 inch receiver mount racks are light weight so are many 2 inch version. The Swagman is RV rated and has two models. I have one that will handle 2 60 lb E-bikes. Mine is on the back of 40 ft of fifth wheel. I have a rather expensive mountain bike I don't want to loose.
Old 10-04-2020, 09:07 AM   #12

Not in discussion but I used a roof top Thule rack on my F 150, F 250 and F 350. Now being 6 ft 4 tall I could reach up on the F 350 but many would need a ladder.
Old 10-04-2020, 09:20 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtraudt View Post
I have a 241QB with the usual square back bumper and spare tire mound on it.

I want to carry 2 adult bikes.
I am sure they offer (priced as if they were made from gold) bike carriers made for the generic square bumper.

Any links to photos?

Alternatives for carrying 2 bikes (roof of towing vehicle to high)?

DIY links? I assume tubing is steel not aluminum?
Take a look at the Jack-It system, They also sell an adaptor (called the Bump-It) so you can use this career on the back of your car
coney is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bike